Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 12:19   #1

Boat: Thomas Tugboat (self built) 20 ft
Handline fishing - Nassau to Highbourne Cay

First time charter in Bahamas / newbie-ish fisherman-wannabe needs advice on a simple set up for the 4-5 hour passage between islands. What are the best lures? How strong (x lb. test), tips and tricks for landing and cleaning a fish while on a catamaran. It's kinda funny that I have lived waterfront (river, lake) for probably 32 of my 62 years and yet I have never caught and cleaned a fish! (excluding "bottle fish"). Let's hear from all you expert fisherpersons!
BThomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Handline fishing - Nassau to Highbourne Cay

Fishing on the banks is usually not very productive. 9 times out of 10, it will be a barracuda that will attack your lure.

Your best bet is to hook up with a local fishing charter wherever you end up and let them show you a few tricks of the trade.

Bringing a fish onboard, especially a big one, will require a gaff, this can be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands...or feet.

Bringing a big fish on board or even a little one can be a messy business. Cleaning one, doubly so.

But for fun, nothing less than 30 lb test on a short stiff rod, 6' is a good size, you want to be able to spool at least 3-400 yards of line, as these big fish can deplete a reel in an instant, set the drag for about 10 lbs....... then a swivel and a steel leader 8' long or so...50 lbs....then a lure. Most any color lure will do. Set the lure back about 75' back from the boat. It will skip on top of the water. Your boat speed needs to be at least 5 knots.
Good luck.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 17:39   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Nassau to highbourne won't be good fishing, it's shallow on the banks so mostly jacks and batacuds.
Highbourne down the outside to the park boundaries can be good, mostly for mahi if you can be moving around or over 7 knots. Stay in the 400' depth range. But you only have about 10 miles or so. Please do not fish inside the park boundaries.
Since you asked about handlines, I use a 9" cuban yoyo with 100 feet of 200# test mono. 200# swivel and stainless leader to a 6" squid lure or cedar plug
I run the line to a shock cord on a midship cleat and tie the line to a stern cleat. Once a fish bites, let it play itself out against the shock cord. When it is just being dragged on the surface by the boat, start reeling it in. Drag it right up the swim steps and onto the deck. At that point my wife throws an old blanket over the fish(we keep it just for this reason) and I kneel on the blanket straddling the fish. Basically pinning it down with the blanket. Expose the head and gills, spray some vodka or rum straight into the gills and the fish calms down. A plastic squeeze bottle or spray bottle works well. Cleaning and filleting it is like most any fish. Removing the blood line eliminates most if not all bones and gives it a better taste.
This season I have pulled in 5 mahi this way. We just had mahi in a Thai curry last night.
Edit, actually 5.5 mahi this season. A shark took an interest in one of them. We still got several dinners out of what was left
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 17:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

One alternative. From Nassau to Highbourne, you'll pass over over some coral heads. Drop the hook, put on your snorkel/mask and fins and go take a look.

I have stopped at these, and almost always will find a lobster or two lurking around. Some small grouper too and other fish.
Old 01-05-2023, 18:17   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

I can't offer what the fishing will be like in that specific area, but will describe my handline used in the open ocean.

About 2 boat lengths of 400# test mono filament. No leader, no swivel, no yoyo. If the lure comes rigged with a leader, I get rid of that leader. About a 3' shock cord. Purple, pink, or Red squid. Tie the line around a water bottle with a clove hitch where you can see/hear it from the cockpit. I lost most (all) of my fish without even knowing I had one before I did this. After this I average a good fish every 3-4 days, and they last longer than that so I always have some.

400# test is large enough to pull in by hand, even without gloves. (Do not wrap it around your fingers.) Pull it in hard and fast don't let is go slack. You can pull a fish in much faster this way than with a yoyo. I can manage by myself a Tuna or Mahi 4' long. Pull it right up to the boat, but not out of the water. Cleat the line, or hold it while someone else gaffs it.

The tuna below I pulled in myself, and a crewmember helped gaff it. The Mahi, I was single handing and landed by myself. Both were longer than 4'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	274870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220306_075804678_HDR.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	274871  

Old 02-05-2023, 04:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

I've never known Tuna nor Mahi to be caught on the Bahama Banks between Nassau and HighBourne Cay. Those are typically deep water fish, whereas the aforementioned banks are around 15-20' deep.

Tags
fish, fishing, nassau