Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 17:52   #31

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Homesteading on the Ocean

Along California red tide is a seasonal occurance. You don't eat shellfish then. Other parts of the year they are OK.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:40   #32

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
There are multiple useful posts on the subject if you use the Google custom search feature, along with the key words uncivilized, & seasteading. I did exactly that here, but am not sure if it'll give you the same results that it did for me https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...ing&gsc.page=1
Do you know how to search using the app? Because I searched for rain catchment and there's no threads on that but this one came up. I also did a search for anchor light. I know there are threads on both those topics I don't understand why nothing is coming up with those titles. As far as red tide goes in Florida it will definitely kill the fish and it can be so bad that it causes respiratory problems and eye irritation

PS. I clicked on the link you put and only topic that would work is this one.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:03   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Do you know how to search using the app? Because I searched for rain catchment and there's no threads on that but this one came up. I also did a search for anchor light. I know there are threads on both those topics I don't understand why nothing is coming up with those titles. As far as red tide goes in Florida it will definitely kill the fish and it can be so bad that it causes respiratory problems and eye irritation
Quote:

Go up to the top of the forums page, & look in the blue horizontal tool bar for the Search tab. Click on it, & a sub-menu will drop down. With one of the options being a Google customized search (box).Enter whatever you want to look for in that box, & hit enter.

The other option is to pull down the search sub-menu & choose “Advanced”. And then use it to search for whatever topic you like.By thread title, key word, poster, etc.

And then you can always just go to Google or Bing’s main page & create a search that way. But the one catch with any of the customized search engines, is that they search for things using algorithms based on things you’ve searched for in the past.So since I look up a lot of sailing stuff, it usually gives me good results when I look for things nautical.However when a friend tried the same exact search as me on her computer, she got far less results, due to her differing browsing habits.Thus I emailed her some of my key finds.

But if you switch computers, or IP addresses when browsing, it’ll also change the results of any search you do. Though after a bit, the browser/search provider will figure out who you are, & may begin to steer things back towards the kind of results you’d get at home.

BTW, you can take the results of the search which I did that you quoted, & type a different phrase into the search box in order to find different things. Including some of those you’re asking about.It works well for me anyway.

Here’s what I got using the CF Google search for “Rain Catchment”:
https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=www.cruisersforum.com%2F&ref=&ss=8132j 3528560j23&cx=011403840172948218620%3Appdpkstleqm& ie=UTF-8&q=uncivilized+seasteading#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=rain%2 0catchment&gsc.sort=

And for me, the search which is in the box of my text you quoted brought up all sorts of results on the topic. But as to how all of it really works… Tarzan might say “white man’s magic”.AKA ain’t many folk what truly understand it.

PS: Also try searches under "Water Collection" or "Water Collection System" & similar.
Otherwise, just keep tinkering with it until it works. That or find another way to search.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 16:35   #34

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I know how computers work, they run on Magic Smoke. I know this because one time the smoke got out and my computer stopped working. Heheh. But the problem is I'm using the app on my smartphone
Old 19-07-2017, 17:18   #35

I think I cracked the code. I was searching in all of the Forum. This time( rain collection) I went to engineering and then Plumbing and then in the filter I chose in title only. Bingo👍
Old 19-07-2017, 17:19   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Search sucks using the Android App...use the web page as described above by Uncivilized.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 18:14   #37

Ugg. I don't want to hijack this thread but I just went back and did the same thing and now it's only showing me two different posts over and over again. And I know there's a thread on it that I put photos of my system, and want to add to the same thread. At least rain catchment has to do with homesteading. I'm one of the few members that has a garden on their boat and I couldn't do it without the rain catchment.