Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 14:05   #16

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Just make sure your intake is well upwind of your motor exhaust. I used to be a professional ab diver. In those days there was some pretty dodgy gear with some near fatalities and quite sever bone necrosis.m Just for pottering around cleaning the hull shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 15:00   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
My solution was even simpler. I simply asked the diver who regularly cleans hull bottoms which compressor he used. I got that info as well as the name of the local company that puts them together. That company also deals in Brownie hookas, etc.

Apparently a 110 v oil less compressor suitable for day in and day out professional use will run around $200. Since I already have a Brownie all I will need is the pigtail off the compressor to match the chrysler fittings on my Brownie lines.

For those wondering, my Brownie is a gasoline powered unit and would take a considerable effort to assemble and fire up compared to an electric for just a quick trip to the bottom or to service the hull. I reserve the Brownie for vacations where I'll be using it for several days and in locations remote from the boat.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 17:21   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
FWIW

Brownie's Third Lung Recalls Air Compressors Due to Drowning Hazard - MarketWatch

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 17:51   #19

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
hooka

I bought a duel diaphram oiless compressor that was used on Dental chairs and added an air tank out of schedule 80 6" pvc. I added an air bleed valve and adjusted it to 40 psi for safety. Also had a duel air water separator and nioprene air hose. Used an old 2nd stage regulator and adjusted it down to work with 40 psi. I would run it for up to a couple of hours on my 1500 watt inverter with no problem. I used it for 4 years without a failure and cost me $250 to put together.
I just purchased a new small 4 cycle weed eater engine with a centrifical clutch and am adapting the same compressor head to the engine. I will have a long air inlet that will always be upwind and the whole system will weight less than 15 lbs, and cost less than $400 and I will be able to take it anywhere that my dinghy goes.
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 14:00   #20

Boat: Norseman 447
I use an oiless 12 volt compressor made for inflating 4wd tyres, 15m of air breathing hose and a receiver made of aluminium tube, works fine good for 10m depth used it quite a few times and I'm still alive
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 14:38   #21
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartersplash View Post
I bought a duel diaphram oiless compressor that was used on Dental chairs and added an air tank out of schedule 80 6" pvc. ....
PVC pipe as a air storage chamber is BAD news. Unlike a pipe filled with liquids, a pipe filled with compressed gas contains an huge amount of stored energy. If a metal pipe fails, it just splits open and the pressure dissipates. A plastic pipe shatters and explodes sending hard plastic fragments out like shrapnel. Well, not LIKE shrapnel it IS shrapnel!

Ignorance of material properties like this is why homemade units get such a bad reputation!
Old 25-11-2008, 15:00   #22

Boat: Stevens 47
6" sch 80 pvc is rated at 280 psi, he's running it at 40 psi, that's pretty decent factor of safety.

Doug
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 15:57   #23

Boat: Chung hwa Magellan 36' S/V Q-wave
Homemade Hookah

Last Week we had our hulled cleaned. The guy came around with a portable 2.5gal shop aircompressor made by Sears. It had a Oil/Water seperator plus a water bath at the end.

He had to be under the boat for the better part of a hour chasing fish and hitting the side of my hull to let me know he was still alive but not really working hard.

I thought i wished I had one like it but its too bulky for any voyage.
He gave me this link tho I think its a lil expensive and without a tank
but it will give you some idea to what to build:

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah breathing regulators and gear. Hooka hose diving breathing systems, compressors, and gear.

I used to have a little electric 24vlt marine aircompressor that a mate
gave me and he used it cleaning his boat for 12 years.
marlborosounds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor