Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 10:34   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Hookamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Just rough calculations are 17.4 pounds per square in is barely enough pressure to breath at 1 foot below water level. Remember that the depth of your lungs is what matters, not your regulator. I believe you need more pressure. While an accumulator tank would probably slightly help, I think you would still have a pressure problem.

Good Luck!

They are rated in PSI above the atmospheric baseline. So good down below 20 feet, even with losses.
Old 06-03-2019, 13:23   #47

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
They are rated in PSI above the atmospheric baseline. So good down below 20 feet, even with losses.
That would make more sense, but would that mean that it should output 17.4 plus the 14.7 sea level baseline? If so that would be 32.1 PSI and good for over 30 feet? The 20 sounds far more realistic, so he must have been severely limited by volume. According to the specs of 160 LPM that should work out to 5.65 CFM which is REALLY hard to believe for an aquarium pump

Either way its clearly too light duty for his uses.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 13:31   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
That IS the Hookamax compressor.

That’s hilarious.
However it does work well. Just don’t let it near salt water. But you know, maybe you shouldn’t let anything powered by 120 VAC near water?
It’s so quiet that I leave it in the boat when cleaning the hull, which has been our only use for a Hooka.
This is actually my third, the first one we went on a trip and had it lashed to the base of the mast.
It looked fine, but was locked down solid when I tried to use it after we returned.
The second I left with our Son, he uses it to air up his tires etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 14:35   #49
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That’s hilarious
What's hilarious is that Hookamax wants $700 for just the compressor. What did you pay for yours? Around $175?

Quote:
But you know, maybe you shouldn’t let anything powered by 120 VAC near water?
I have been using this compressor for years and years in my boat or off the dock, always in a saltwater environment. No problems.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 15:41   #50
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings all, I have two of the Brownies systems, a single diver and a double diver model. They are both 120 volt versions. I have the standard open circuit Brownies regulators for each as well. I also have several “AGA” masks, also known as Divator MKII full face masks with both wireless and hardwired communications systems. I would like to be able to use the surface supplied feature along with my full face masks/comms. The short question I have is if anyone has been able to successfully adjust a divator regulator to function with a Brownies system. I have contacted numerous dive shops and even OTS and they have no knowledge of it being done or if possible. I suppose I could just hook it up, try it and see how things go, Eh? I can adjust the intemediate pressure to it”s bottom end on the MMR. I think they are set to operate around 140-150 if my memory serves me correctly. I am not sure how much I can “de-regulate” the intermediate pressure which raises my level of concern as A64 points out above. I appreciate all of the amazing information and knowledge I have gained over many years of reading your posts. Safe Journeys!
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:01   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookamax

Quote:
What's hilarious is that Hookamax wants $700 for just the compressor. What did you pay for yours? Around $175?

I have been using this compressor for years and years in my boat or off the dock, always in a saltwater environment. No problems.

That is I’m sure a much better compressor and for someone who makes a living with one, you need one that will last a long time.
However for me and others that only occasionally dive our boat to clean the hull, spending almost 10 times as much for a professional grade compressor may not be warrantied, so I get by with the cheap Chinese made compressor.
Normally If I’m in a Marina for the Hurricane season etc., I’ll find a local hull cleaner and pay them, but out cruising, that often is not an option, and she really does seems to do better with monthly cleanings.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:12   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcathell View Post
My wife and I are considering buying an electric shallow dive compressor like the hookamax or brownie. Anyone using these or others and care to provide some counsel? Are they worth it? Is one brand better than another.? I did a search thinking this must have been discussed before but didn't find any threads. If I missed something obvious please let me know.
where are you located?
overextendedfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
...Self-taught and not recommended but...
One of my favorite engineering aphorisms:
"In the early days aircraft design the designers were often the test pilots. This process tended to weed out bad aircraft designs." No such luck for modern test pilots.

====

Is everyone comfortable with the pressure regulators that come on these $100-200 compressors? Years ago I did some vehicle painting and I recall taking advice (maybe foolish) to buy a higher quality regulator based on the logic that sometimes the little ~$10 regulator that comes attached to store bought compressors can wander a bit in precision/accuracy. Brownie's hookah regular wants 55-65...do you set to 55 and go? 60? 65?

Presumably one would calibrate the compressor regulator on arrival and periodically, but I'm curious about best practices.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39   #54

Boat: Lyle Hess 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overextendedfp View Post
where are you located?
I'm in Virginia now. Shiloh is on the hard in albany ny. We're heading for the Bahamas this fall.
drewcathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:40   #55

Boat: Lyle Hess 30 Cutter

Quote:

What motor is that?
drewcathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
One of my favorite engineering aphorisms:
"In the early days aircraft design the designers were often the test pilots. This process tended to weed out bad aircraft designs." No such luck for modern test pilots.

====

Is everyone comfortable with the pressure regulators that come on these $100-200 compressors? Years ago I did some vehicle painting and I recall taking advice (maybe foolish) to buy a higher quality regulator based on the logic that sometimes the little ~$10 regulator that comes attached to store bought compressors can wander a bit in precision/accuracy. Brownie's hookah regular wants 55-65...do you set to 55 and go? 60? 65?

Presumably one would calibrate the compressor regulator on arrival and periodically, but I'm curious about best practices.

Crank it down as high as it will go, you don’t have need for a regulator.
Ideally you want 150 PSI but most all theses little compressors turn off at 120, so regulator isn’t needed.

Never mind I see you said Brownies regulator.

I bought one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolute piece of trash, waste of money, I threw it in the trash
Old 11-03-2019, 06:44   #57
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We assembled our own hooka rig using a Porter Cable pan cake oil free compressor. Mostly use it to clean the bottom and prop. One addition to the set up that made a big difference was a water/oil/particulate separator similar to this one. While you wouldn't expect to need it w/an oil free compressor, it made a big difference in the quality of the air.
Have been a certified SCUBA diver for a very long time (does anyone remember dual hose regulators??) and also think it would be a good idea to fully understand/learn the concepts of SCUBA before using a hooka rig.
Bill O.
Dual hose regulator? As in Lloyd Bridges, Sea Hunt? At Silver Springs State Park in Florida there was just a "Spring Fest". Several of the episodes were filmed there. Apparently there is a club/organization of Sea Hunt aficionados who outfit themselves in 1950's equipment. Replete with rubber knives and bags of red dye they do mock battle underwater. Whatever gets you through the night.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:20   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceania 41

I've been a UK recreational diver for >30 years and I've read this thread with interest. I've never been impressed by low-cost hooka equipment and all of the comments seem to confirm my views (I'm not commenting on its use professionally).

I wouldn't dream of using it personally, but I acknowledge that some do. The very clear message from the thread, given by those already experienced, is "get some basic training". I fully endorse this recommendation.

The thread makes the point that having a quality oil-free air compressor aboard is expensive and complex. Seems to be more expensive and complex than keeping basic scuba aboard.

a64pilot gave some sage advice in an earlier post but I'd like to qualify one point, if I may.

Quote:

............Descend as fast as you like.........
Descending too quickly does give rise to an increase risk to the unwary of barotrauma of the ear drum and the eye. There are very simple ways to address both issues, another good reason for basic training.
Skylark UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:37   #59

Boat: Taswell 43

As a certified diver, I took a couple of older 2nd stages to a dive shop, to be reconditioned for hooka. I thought he said he redid the 2nd stage to 120psi, but I could be wrong. But in addition to a serviced regulator and an oil-less compressor....do NOT use air compressor hose! Look for and buy breathing hose-it's different! Speaking of, does anyone know how to clean/preserve the hose? We store ours in a sealed black plastic bag until it's needed, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to do it.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:18   #60
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark UK View Post
The thread makes the point that having a quality oil-free air compressor aboard is expensive and complex.
There is nothing in this thread that makes that point.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote