Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 17:08   #76

Boat: Presently between vessels
Re: Hookamax

I've had a hookamax for about 2 1/2 years,. It is stored on my deck. It is powered by a Honda gas engine. I've had no problems with the compressor. There are two small tanks that allow the engine to idle much of the time. The tanks also provide a few minutes of air if the engine stops. The hoses and regulators are ok. The frame is rusting now so I should clean and paint it.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a small compressor for my SCUBA tanks instead but the hookamax has been a good value.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 22:25   #77

Re: Hookamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
I've used a Brownie's low pressure system for a few years and I can recommend it.

I'm not a diver because I have sinus issues (consistently over many years) as soon as I venture down below keel level, so it seemed pointless investing in PADI training. Brownie's, and no doubt other equipment suppliers, provide a waistband to clip on the airline and to add weights. I NEVER use this because it would be unsafe for me. I simply hold the airline by the mouthpiece so I am free to surface immediately if the compressor cuts out. This occasionally happens if it overheats. Obviously this means I am constantly fighting my own buoyancy and if I was using bottled air it would not last long - but that's the benefit of having an unlimited air supply..
Hi Chris,

Don't know the extent of your sinus problems but I neti pot religiously and my sinusitis is long gone... Google it if you are unfamiliar and fair winds...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote