Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.52%
Blog 144 48.98%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.24%
Too Lazy 23 7.82%
Like to keep it private 28 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 16:41   #226

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ?

I still have mine... Seems to be doing ok... I'm surprised.. Lol
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 15:35   #227

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Check out my latest post: A Tribute to Albert Einstein.

How many of you knew he was a sailor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	119243  
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 04:14   #228

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

We are partial to Cream Puff

A zany tail of two novice sailors who had a dream
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 10:38   #229
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 30

We purchased a sailboat, then learned to sail. We are still learning! We try to blog about experiences with blogs, photos and videos along the way.
You can check it out here: www.svwillowmist.com
WillowMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 23:25   #230

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352

finally online but still some work to do. Here my blog with stories mainly from the Med (Tyrrhennian Sea, Italy and surrounding islands) until more extended cruises will follow hopefully in retirement.

The blog will be populated with new stories, covering curious experiences with hints to Italian lifestyle in the months to come.

Take a look. Let me know any comments, suggestions for improvements, etc.

https://islands-hoppers.blogspot.com

Regards,
Old 29-12-2016, 04:49   #231

Boat: Cornado 25

Got the "Keys Disease" and haven't updated the website logs since January last... S/V Solitaire Sailing Off The Edge | Home Need to catch up a bit...

Maybe tomorrow
Old 29-12-2016, 06:53   #232

Boat: Comet 41s

Most cruisers I know use their facebook for what some use a blog, regarding their cruising. I guess if you had posted that option on the pool you would see that it is by far more common than to have a blog about the boat in what regards sharing cruising and sail experiences.

I used for some time my blog (about sailing and Yachts) for that but I passed my personal cruising experiences to my facebook page where the social communication is easier in both directions.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:05   #233

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I started a blog/website for my refit and future travels. Mostly at first it was to keep family on the west coast up to date on what I'm doing. They're primarily an offroading/desert group so simple one liners like "worked on the electrical system" needs a lot more explanations as they don't have boat experience. As I've run into people though it's picking up some outside interest. I see this increasing as I get through the "refit" stage and start doing some local cruising this summer.

www.svpalani.com
Old 10-01-2017, 23:21   #234

Too many!
Sorry, I get frustrated with some blogs at times. I just feel the patreon stuff has gotten out of control the past year or so. Or maybe in that time frame I am noticing so many more patreon blogs? What do you tink?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17   #235

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ?

I don't agree or even understand why you feel there are "Too many!" blogs out there. Most cruising blogs begin life as a way to keep family and friends involved in sailor's adventures. If a number of people stumble across our blog and enjoy going along for the ride it doesn't seem to be hurting you. If you enjoy reading them great. If not, simply stop searching for and reading sailing blogs.

We chose not to request Patreon funds, but we do have some simple side ads which make us about enough money each year to pay for one happy hour bill. We post because we enjoy sharing our lifestyle with others. Doesn't really seem to be too big of an inconvenience to you.

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:27   #236

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
I don't agree or even understand why you feel there are "Too many!" blogs out there. Most cruising blogs begin life as a way to keep family and friends involved in sailor's adventures. If a number of people stumble across our blog and enjoy going along for the ride it doesn't seem to be hurting you. If you enjoy reading them great. If not, simply stop searching for and reading sailing blogs.

We chose not to request Patreon funds, but we do have some simple side ads which make us about enough money each year to pay for one happy hour bill. We post because we enjoy sharing our lifestyle with others. Doesn't really seem to be too big of an inconvenience to you.

Mike
this is the same way as I see it! Thanks Mike! B.t.w. nice blog!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:38   #237

Boat: Camano Troll

I see this thread is about a thousand years old but somebody has revived it.

The issue I have with "blogs" is unless you are following a person's travels in real time, a blog reads backwards. You can't read from top to bottom, you have to find the first day, read it, then find the second day, read it and so on. Sometimes you have to go back to a menu to find the days.

What I do is write each day in a Microsoft Word document. I'll copy and paste that day's writing to Facebook in a group that's limited to people I allow. Obviously, that doesn't prevent one of those people from reposting it but that's pretty unlikely. The only reason I want to limit who sees where I am is because I have a land home and I don't want strangers to know that I'm gone.

When I get home, after the cruise, I take the MS word document, which now has a section for each day, format it into columns, insert photos and both print it and publish it on my brother's business website. At that point, it's open for anyone to read and I publish the URL and invite people to read it.

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/index.htm

BTW< I have to fix the first page. Scroll down to see the cruises.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:37   #238

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Rwidman your leaving money on the table. You take your backwards reading blog and turn the posts so its "start to finish", self publish them as a book on Amazon and retire a millonaire. Lol

Actually you did give me the idea to make separate section that reads "start to finish" order (easy to do with most modern cms systems) as a site usability improvement.
Old 12-01-2017, 16:04   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

More than blogs we've been doing Vlogs! Check out couchsailors.com
Old 12-01-2017, 16:42   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post

Mike
Besides sailing based books I read many blogs. I just finished what may be the longest running one, rtw, (1996- current). Absolutely excellent blog!

However, I feel some (which is why I said too many) have become far too commercialized about it. From seeming desperate for donations when not really giving a lot of sound advice. Or I enjoyed the vlog/blog up until the product placement started to become far too prominent.

One of my favorite Patreon vlogs is FollowTheBoat. They are seasoned cruusers, laid back, great sense of humor and again I feel they are worthy of a donation, over some, because they offer good advice from a lot of experience.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat