Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 17:49   #16

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'
Re: Inflatable Kayak vs SUP

Hi - we bought 2 of the Airis Sport inflatable kayaks recently and have found them to be great for relatively short trips in flat water.
They are very rigid for an inflatable and you can stand on them to get yourself aboard.
They are easy to inflate and pack well.
My partner is much lighter than me and does struggle a bit in stronger winds and currents and has to put in more effort than she would normally like to make way.
Other than that - no complaints.
PeterLIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 17:50   #17

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We have the AE tandem inflatable kayak purchased through West Marine. We have used on and off the sailboat more than any other watercraft we have ever owned. Would buy again when this 8 year old bites the dust. (Won't be anytime soon, unless we loose it or put a big hole in it.)
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 20:49   #18

Just a bit of advice- try before you buy! I'm athletic and a ridgid SUP was a piece of cake. I tried an inflatable SUP off a charter boat and couldn't stand up 20 seconds when I tried paddling. There must be a wide variance of models and shapes! I love my inflatable stearns 1 man kayak, but I'd hate to go far with it.
Glenn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:04   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have one of each and it works well. The sup gets used more and is easier to store inflated. The inflatable sups carry a surprising payload! Well ours does, it's about 9' but 6" thick
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432526651.350607.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	102673
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:09   #20
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Balrog likes it as well...

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432526972.535268.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	102674
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 03:25   #21
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We looked around quite a bit at inflatable SUPs. And there are some good ones out there, as well as cheap copies and stuff that you really wouldn't want to own for long.

One of the major differences we saw was in the pressure. I think all of the really stiff ones were using pressures up around 15 psi, which is a bunch with a hand pump.
Old 25-05-2015, 04:24   #22

There should be no problem putting 15 psi into an inflatable with a hand pump. I put 80 psi in my hybrid bike while others with road bikes put 120 psi into their tires with a hand pump. Most of the inflatables that I'm looking at have just "high" pressure floors whereas the side tubes are much lower(around 3 psi).
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:29   #23

Boat: IP 40

My wife surprised me with the SUP, so this decision might already be made.

That being said, we have a dinghy and outboard and the goal with either inflatable is just something fun to get around and check things out, as well as an excuse to get off the boat and exercise. My wife and I are both fairly fit and active, so we want something that will be both fun and functional.

I spent a good while yesterday paddling around our lake on the SUP and found it to be a pretty good time and decent workout. I'm definitely much faster in one of our rigid kayaks, but that's to be expected. I think the biggest difference I see is that into the wind and waves. the SUP is harder to make progress (for obvious reasons) but on flat'sh water, it's fairly quick and very maneuverable. I also like how much more visibility you have down into the water due to the added height vs Kayak.

I think for us we could probably find a good use for a pair of good SUPs like what she got me and a decent inflatable Kayak. I'm not sure we have room to store them all, so like everything else, will have to compromise there.

Thanks for all the info,
EB
Old 25-05-2015, 17:41   #24

Boat: Ranger 33'

I have a 33' Ranger [small and slim], I started out with the fold boat; what a pain in the bazooka to put together on a small deck. It's just the same to break down. I gave it away gladly and bought a 9' foot Avon, and again what a pain to inflate, etc. plus I hate to row and do not want to see where I have been, plus it is quite a bit of room to store. I bought an inflatable [Sevlor] at a cruisers sail in La Paz. It's sort of like a blow-up toy, but was a vast improvement, it is not very effective in a 2' foot chop; O.K., but works a lot = losing energy. Not a tool to get supplies to the boat or to kedge off with. Part 4: high pressure kayak with a very substantial layup to resist puncture from barnacle, oyster shell and the other stuff. I also needed the boat to be capable of carrying the second passenger or provisions, etc. I came up with innova helois 2 person kayak. It has a vulcanized skin to a 1000 denier polester woven core. It is quite rigid and handles class 2 to3 waters with very good handling. It has removable valves[I ordered a spare just in case] that are impressive. It packs in a backpack. The only con is you need at least 40# in the bow persons place for solo. Good exploring to you guys, Roy
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:57   #25

I was sent this today...
Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box
Looks interesting to say the least. Light weight as well.
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:20   #26

Boat: IP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
I was sent this today...
Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box
Looks interesting to say the least. Light weight as well.

That's pretty slick, can anyone comment on first hand experience with the 12ft versions? They're a little pricey, but look nice and portable and relatively rigid in the videos.
Old 09-09-2015, 21:21   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
That's pretty slick, can anyone comment on first hand experience with the 12ft versions? They're a little pricey, but look nice and portable and relatively rigid in the videos.

Check out the end of our video, we love our Oru Kayaks!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:28   #28

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
There should be no problem putting 15 psi into an inflatable with a hand pump. I put 80 psi in my hybrid bike while others with road bikes put 120 psi into their tires with a hand pump. Most of the inflatables that I'm looking at have just "high" pressure floors whereas the side tubes are much lower(around 3 psi).

There is a huge difference in the amount of work between putting 15 psi into a structure that is measures in feet in all three directions vs putting in 120psi into something measures in inches. The compressibility of air has everything to do with it, granted the pressure is lower, 15 psi is just double the absolute pressure of 14.7 plus 15, where 120 is 9 times at 135/14.7 The amount of work to do the job would also be related to the volume of air that must be compressed. The volume of a Kayak would be hundreds of times more than a tiny thin high pressure bike tire. So even though the final pressure is much less the total work would be many times more to do the inflation.

I enjoy my Stearns one and 2 place inflatables, but learned last spring I don't want to try to go 20 miles fighting tide and wind in one with camping gear for a weekend. But realize I may find myself doing it again, since it does fit on the back of my motorcycle.
Old 10-09-2015, 21:17   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450

Check these inflatable catamaran's out. We saw one the other month and seriously considering one. Well made, durable, 5-yr warranty - fun.
HC-EVOLUTION
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:48   #30

The Oru is a neat design. Can you guys confirm they are made from an extruded polypropylene material called Coroplast?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	108833  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak