Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35   #16

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Marine Internet

Marine BGAN is now available from Thrane and Thrane.

See:SAILOR FleetBroadband - Satellite Communication - Products - Maritime - Corporate - Thrane & Thrane

This also shows coverage. It's not cheap, but has WiFi built in as well.

Pricing example is here: BGAN Service Rate Pricing from Ground Control

Speed is said to be ISDN level.

Phone calls are cheaper than Iridium as far as I can see.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:42   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Don't forget the offshore option of having a SSB onboard and using an e-mail system such as SailMail
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37   #18

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
I Agree with HelloSailor

I agree whole-heartedly with HelloSailor's doubts, and I share them. Personally, though, I don't need the "50 miles offshore" they're advertising, I just need a reliable five or ten miles up the coast from a town, that sort of thing. That's why I'm hoping that somebody has tried the system.

Fingers crossed.
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Alan, in the Inmarsat PDFs they indicate that the Sailor500 unit is throttled (restricted in their server) to 256kbps and the Sailor 250 to half of that at 128kbps, although burst rates may be twice as high on each.

ISDN "speeds" are a moot point, ISDN kind of came and went in the US market, the only real advantage it had was the same as "Frame Relay", i.e. you got a dedicated line to the service's server, so you had assured bandwidth--at least, that far into the system--rather than slowing down every time a new user turned on their computer down theblock from you.

Those are about equal to "slowest DSL" speeds in the US, way slower than cable modem speeds, far better than phone modem speeds. Competitive with cellular modem systems--depending on which cellco you believe about what their real service speeds might be.[g]

Damn neat trick for a private boat in the middle of nowhere though! Remember not so long ago when cell phones cost $1/minute?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 13:37   #20

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I used ISDN (64 kb/s) for a number of years before DSL came, and it worked reasonably well (acceptable speed).

Today I use a USB Turbo 3G modem that gives me up to 7.2 Mbit/s up to a few miles offshore (5-7) then it drops down to about 2 Mbit, further out it switches to GPRS which is slow, but okay for mail. Coverage here in the Baltic is from 5 to about 30 miles out.
The Turbo 3G costs 60 $/month with 20 Megs included.(Company pays)

I will go for the BGAN system when I go cruising in a couple of years, with Iridium for text messaging/backup as well as SSB. (text messages between 2 iridiums are "free" or at least included in the basic price- so buying a couple of old ones is a viable option if you need to touch base often)

regards

Alan
Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 14:13   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Their map shows no Pacific coverage, until a satellite gets launched at some date "to be determined". Also, the unit draws over 10A @ 12V.

Still, this could be the way to go for some people...
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 21:18   #22

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Well, I have some good news for you all. (unless you just bought one of those $5000 gyro thingies)

Alltel is now testing a new broadband technology, just like the air cards, but this uses GPS signals instead of cell towers. Its not avail yet and its sort of hush hush, but my buddy who works for Alltel told me about it.

It will work with a new Blackberry world edition phone by tethering to your laptop directly. It will be broadband though, not dial-up. I've tethered my Razor for web access for the past few months and get pretty fast DL speeds even now, but am excited about the new GPS technology as I will be getting to field(sea) trial one of the demos when my friend recieves them.

so hold off on the gyro gizmo. (besides, they're ugly!)
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 21:38   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
Well, I have some good news for you all. (unless you just bought one of those $5000 gyro thingies)

Alltel is now testing a new broadband technology, just like the air cards, but this uses GPS signals instead of cell towers. Its not avail yet and its sort of hush hush, but my buddy who works for Alltel told me about it.

It will work with a new Blackberry world edition phone by tethering to your laptop directly. It will be broadband though, not dial-up. I've tethered my Razor for web access for the past few months and get pretty fast DL speeds even now, but am excited about the new GPS technology as I will be getting to field(sea) trial one of the demos when my friend recieves them.

so hold off on the gyro gizmo. (besides, they're ugly!)
How does it use GPS with GPS being Rx only?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 07:08   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Aquaholic has been PUNKED BIG TIME by his buddy. April fools, dude.
Old 19-05-2008, 11:11   #25

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Their map shows no Pacific coverage, until a satellite gets launched at some date "to be determined". Also, the unit draws over 10A @ 12V.

Still, this could be the way to go for some people...
I actually got out of a meeting with Inmarsat this morning at work. The launch of their third I4 has been delayed because of totally unrelated booster problems. They're discussing contingency plans with both their insurer and with the Russian government, who'll supply the actual launch vehicle. The current plan is to launch it in 3Q2008 and put it into service before the end of 1Q2009. That will enable Pacific coverage.

The technology behind the bird is pretty amazing. Imagine 48 meter's worth of solar panels on your boat, generating 14kW of power! It weighs almost 6000kg - in the same range as a 32-34' sailboat. The terminals themselves utilize GSM 3GPP technology - same as GSM cellular.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 15:33   #26

these guys were at the sanctuary cove boat show. Internet for Boats, Internet at Sea, Marine Internet, Internet for Ships they seem to get good range on the telstra network
Huntermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 08:15   #27

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Re: Inmarsat FleetBroadband costs

FYI: saw some figures (all $ in USD) from DeltaWave a couple of months back:

Sailor 250 $13k (have seen it elsewhere for about $11k)
Sailor 500 $20k

At the low end it's $13.50 p/mb
At the high end it's 2.6gb (rolled over) for $5.5k p/m ($66k p/a)

I know it doesn't cover the poles, but I've read that the 250 doesn't do too well high up north or low down south, guess this makes sense since the dish is smaller (less db gain).

Was wondering about using one of these units so I could keep working on the water, but for the cost (& risk of failure while I'm rolling my gut's out in the middle of the southern ocean ), I don't think its worth it. Think I'll take another look at sailmail & iridium, there's a few things that can be “hacked up” in regards to retrieving http content in a slimmer & quicker manner.

Btw: Inmarsat's a bit late updating their www, it still states the Inmarsat-4 F3 (pacific satellite) launch in Q2
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 13:45   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Beau-
What has to be done once a satellite it launched, that takes so long it will be four or five quarters from launch time until it actually is available for use? I would have expected a couple of days, a couple of weeks, but over a year in orbit before it can be used??
Old 29-06-2008, 16:41   #29

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
emails

G'day CISCO,

Have you looked at the coverage maps of the 3G network? It won't cover ocean trips but coastal & land trips it does a good job. You can couple that to VOIP & it all works out very cost effective but there are "traps" with "the plans" available. email me for further info if you want.
william.goodward@bigpond.com

Regards
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 23:43   #30

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What has to be done once a satellite it launched, that takes so long it will be four or five quarters from launch time until it actually is available for use?
Good question. You'd think that once the thing is positioned (in orbit) & some self diagnostics are completed then she'd be ready to go live

You know, there's a couple of non-profit large research vessels based in california that are still using multiple iridium units[1] (last time I looked at their www). You'd think that Fleetbroadband would be perfect for them.

[1] channel bonded using *nix.
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote