Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2019, 18:04   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Is this the problem with the younger generation?

My experience is quite different. My son is in Hawaii and his conundrum today was a choice between golf, snorkeling, or fishing. My daughters and granddaughter are off camping in the mountains this weekend. Yes they use their devices and technology but not to the detriment of life's experiences. The past few days have been warm here. My granddaughter took advantage and played out side, in the mud. Perhaps there is a large percentage of young people attached to their devices. But my children and their friends are very active in connecting with nature, enjoying sports, interacting with family and friends. I guess we are lucky?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 00:43   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, I know any environment without Internet will be an increasingly hard sell, if those concerned are conditioned to have choices in such matters.
Well when your target audience is 80 and up...yeah it gets a little hard to sell.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:42   #48
cruiser

My reality will change in 5 weeks time, when I'm back on the water for nearly a year. We have SAT TV and internet but rarely watch TV, I'd rather take in the local town or scenery off the stern.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 04:45   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Careful, you are showing your lack of knowledge/experience again.
Actually, I'm not. Most everything I post on here is based on experience in life, electronics/electrical, boating, sailboat racing, or just sailing for fun

After 12 years sailing and being on the water in a tropical paradise (plus a few years in the desert near Yuma, Arizona), I switched to cycling for a few years.

Others ended up in darkened bars in mid afternoon drinking and watching big screen TV's or surfing the internet. I notice you spend a lot of time on the internet so I guess paradise has become boring for you as well

My experiences are why I think having the seasons is important, but at the same time, I'm glad I got to experience that weather and place when I did so I wouldn't be dreaming my whole life away wanting to live in such a place. The size of Yuma doubles in Winter due to the Snowbirds in their RV's

It's great for a few years though, but can be hot as hell in July and August. You can get very good at sailing though racing most weekends for 9-10 months a year for 10 years
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 05:14   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's great for a few years though, but can be hot as hell in July and August. You can get very good at sailing though racing most weekends for 9-10 months a year for 10 years

That's our dry season and is the coldest part of the year
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 05:40   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's our dry season and is the coldest part of the year
Nice, enjoy it while it lasts.

Luckily for us up here (Latitude 36.85N), we are coming out of Winter and headed into Spring…..again. The boat is already back in the water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00224.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	188214  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:04   #52

Boat: Sabre 402

Please note that another thread in this forum: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...re-214981.html
has more posts replying to it than this one...
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 07:02   #53

NO Doubt, for over 15 years we owned a boat in the Moorings fleet and raised boys from ages 6, 9 and 12 and in all those years after a day of sailing, swimming, snorkeling, scuba hiking etc night time and sleep never came fast enough. Once I-Pads became vogue I can tell you I never remember a night that the entire family could stay awake and finish a movie and that says volumes. The gift of boating is getting away from cell phones, texting, Instagram, facebook and video streaming. I think those that desire such frivolities would do better to book a cruise as you obviously don't get bareboating!

The ad is ridiculous and "Handmer" sorry but you are the quintessential rationalizer who really has a future in creative writing! I could hardly believe your post..,, really?
3Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:17   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, 3Kings.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:58   #55

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Here is a beautiful advertisement from a April 2019 magazine. A young family is aboard a beautiful boat. It is a tropical Caribbean location with Montserrat in the distance and everyone wearing shorts. It's a beautiful day on the ocean on a beautiful new motor yacht.

Whatever happened to Reality?!
Enjoy the coming spring - in person.
Richard and Evie

I really hate this younger-generation bashing. I hated it when I was part of the younger-generation (long haired hippies!) and I hate it now. If the current younger generation has a problem (not saying they do), then whose fault is it, if not the people who raised them (Oh, I know, it's *other* people's kids, right? Your little darlings are perfect.)

Frankly, I think it's time the younger generation took over. We don't seem to be doing all that well.

-- John
Old 22-03-2019, 10:12   #56

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Sixties View Post
I upgraded to a Catalina 350 so all the family could come out sailing with me, The grandchildren came aboard went into the cabin saw the TV and wanted to turn it on I said No! Now they don’t want to go out with, something about a grumpy old so and so.
So it’s back to solo sailing, I didn’t tell them the iPad I use as chart plotter has a Foxtel app, so I sit as anchor watching whatever I like
Wouldn't have happened if that damn TV hadn't been there! When my kids were young - they're now between 56 and 60 - I was lucky that tv on my O'Day Daysailer wasn't an option, nor on my Catalina 22. Kids were mostly out on there own when I got my Cal 39. My son helped me sail her back from Hawaii after the 1980 Singlehanded Transpac.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:16   #57
Marine Service Provider

There are plenty of times when kicking back with a cold beer or glass of wine watching a movie while chillin on the boat is just what the doctor ordered. ⛵️😎🏝👍
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:52   #58

Boat: MS Fisher 30

I think the only problem with the original post is the title. Should have been something along the lines of, "things I've love and hope my Grandchildren can still enjoy".
It's not just technology that's separating us from "actually living". Pollution, speed at which we live, how we even make a living.

It's every generation for itself, always has been always will. Called "free will" That's not a bad thing...everyone has to go out and make their own way. Just some of our choices, over many (all) generations continues to separate us from the realities of nature/life.

That's a shame.

My Grandson is 21, he's had a lot of fun, done a lot of things our generation could never have done, and the world is small enough so that he can go anywhere at anytime and see and connect with anyone in the world. Great stuff............but I wish he'd grown up being able see and chase fireflies, I wish he'd gotten to experience the rebirth of nature every spring and the smell of the earth in the fall, I wish he'd have gotten to lay on his back at night with a couple of friends to see who saw the most shooting stars, I wish he'd have been able to stop at any creek/stream and get a drink without having to stop to think about that it might be polluted (or worse, know it is and carry a filtering kit).

What the real problem is that we can't communicate what's best about what we have and the ability to pass it on to later generations.

Anyone who lives in a western culture and bashed the original post........you're a hypocrite and a fraud, so get off your sanctimonious high horse and stop bashing others so you can feel good. One thing this thread has proven, the PC crowd is not limited to just the young.

And to the individual who posted that they can't wait for the next generation to take over because we haven't done very well. Don't worry, it will happen fast enough. Called the aging process. Please limit your bashing to the failures in your own life and stop projecting them on to your fellow seniors. Because you feel you failed doesn't mean others feel that way or did. You're a pretty weak individual. Ops, I did it again. Maybe you're not, maybe you just didn't say what you're really feeling and thinking.......

I wish the original poster hadn't thrown in the towel, in a manner of speaking. Taking the pushback, analyzing it, and reformulating it is how when understand ourselves.

I hope no one, of any generation, is afraid to be wrong. May actually find out you aren't.

I welcome any and all views you may have on my comment.
Old 22-03-2019, 12:10   #59
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Living 300m underground, or in an orbiting space capsule, may well be required for survival for younger generations.

I think they may well adapt much more easily to that future than we would have, as long as the internet's still around.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 14:03   #60

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That's the thing about the tropics after you have been there for a while...…..it's same ole same every day

You don't even have seasons to look forward to so why not check out other things
Yep.
Dolphins, dugongs, turtles and stunning scenery gets a bit ho hum after a while.
Forced to endure it I must.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote