Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 08:05   #16

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight
Re: Itching lower legs after diving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
We get 10C in the middle of summer I would guess at 8C now.
I think I will try and reduce my dive time to 30 minutes or less and see how that affects things.

If you are that shallow it is not the bends (deconpression Illness or DCI).

Nor should you worry about nefarious irritating critters in water that cold.

What you are experiencing is CHILBLAINS (pernio). Very common in cold water or ice diving, esp. with a wetsuit. ( I wrote the Ice Diving Program for PADI, so I know what I am talking about.)

Chilblains Overview - Mayo Clinic

Just try to stay warmer and dryer. Get a drysuit, or find some kid to do it... :-)
Old 18-05-2017, 08:17   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
We get 10C in the middle of summer I would guess at 8C now.
I think I will try and reduce my dive time to 30 minutes or less and see how that affects things.
If you were only cleaning the bottom I doubt it has anything with the dive time.
Had you considered a circulation problem and the pressure from the suit on the lower legs is causing a form of neuropathy? I would consult a Dr..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:49   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
I have thought about one additional possibility - the water is fairly cold and the sections of leg that itch are fairly skinny. It could be that the legs are just getting too cold and warming them up causes the itching just like warming up frozen hands in winter. I am not sure how to test that theory yet but it's something else to try.
Thanks for all the replies - I was stumped ....
If the wet suit is two piece, you could dive with just the top, to see if it is wet suit specific. Likewise, you could make your next full-suit dive without cleaning the bottom, to eliminate that possibility.

"Summitfun

You solved the mystery in one of your replies. In cleaning the bottom, you displaced hundreds of critters that found a new home under your wetsuit. Wash your wetsuit well, have a beer, & quit worrying!
Cheers,
Mike "
I agree that the critters will join you in your suit, but I've never had them only congregate in the lower leg area.
Old 18-05-2017, 08:53   #19

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
If you are that shallow it is not the bends (deconpression Illness or DCI).

Nor should you worry about nefarious irritating critters in water that cold.

What you are experiencing is CHILBLAINS (pernio). Very common in cold water or ice diving, esp. with a wetsuit. ( I wrote the Ice Diving Program for PADI, so I know what I am talking about.)

Chilblains Overview - Mayo Clinic

Just try to stay warmer and dryer. Get a drysuit, or find some kid to do it... :-)
here it is
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:04   #20

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Exclamation Re: Itching lower legs after diving ?

I've gotten itching not so specific an area and after reading up on subject thought it might be dinoflagellates. Sp? Not certain this is relevant as I was in wan water
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:11   #21

I work in a dive shop here in central oregon we have enzyme sollution we soak all the wetsuits in after every dive class you might call a dive shop and see what they have, not sure were your diving but I've had same type of red bites when diving in Roatan honduras, over there its sand flee's
rickmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:13   #22

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Wear a dry suit
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:30   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you were only cleaning the bottom I doubt it has anything with the dive time.
Had you considered a circulation problem and the pressure from the suit on the lower legs is causing a form of neuropathy? I would consult a Dr..
PS, I went back and read you are diabetic. Find a professional answer, to many diabetics are walking around of a prosthetic leg.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 10:21   #24

I read about your diabetes and chemo. I too was insulin dependent typeII diabetic and had chemo for a tumor in my calf. I did not dive but experienced some post chemo reaction to certain tapes and latex bandaging. I had no previous reaction and am still not sure wether it is diabetes related or resultant from chemo. Regardless, I am still cautious about what type of rubberized or latex products I wear/use. If you are lucky, it could just be an allergy to either the cleaner used on your suit or the non use of same. Either way continue to research the cause. As I have been told, "you are never cured of diabetes (since my first cancer, chemo and 140 lb weight loss, I no longer have any diabetic symptoms - no insulin or any other med but I am still listed as diabetic). At first I found it annoying but realized it always bears attention as I have no desire to loose limbs or my life thinking I am "cured".
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 10:51   #25
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Wear a dry suit
I would love to ... alas my body was not made for a dry suit. As it is, I can barely lift my weight belt. Must be around 40 lbs ... I have a lot of built in flotation to compensate for. I doubt I can get my ass up out of the water if I carry more weights
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 10:56   #26
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
"you are never cured of diabetes (since my first cancer, chemo and 140 lb weight loss, I no longer have any diabetic symptoms - no insulin or any other med but I am still listed as diabetic).
Congratulations on loosing 140 lbs !!!!! VERY impressive !
I should loose about 60 lbs but have an addiction to food and little will power
Old 18-05-2017, 12:08   #27

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
I would love to ... alas my body was not made for a dry suit. As it is, I can barely lift my weight belt. Must be around 40 lbs ... I have a lot of built in flotation to compensate for. I doubt I can get my ass up out of the water if I carry more weights
For general hull cleaning you don't need nearly as much weight as you do when diving, unless we're talking about cleaning a very large vessel. And BTW, you take off your weight belt BEFORE you get out of the water.
I just have a regular sailing drysuit, but when it's bottom cleaning time, I surely do love it.

What thickness of wetsuit are you wearing that requires 40lbs of weights? That seems like a huge amount.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:38   #28

Boat: Montgomery 17

Retired Navy Diver here, itching skin is a symptom of type 1 decompression sickness. Bring that up with your doctor / hospital and give them your dive profile!
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/h...ymptoms-of-DCS
Old 18-05-2017, 12:47   #29
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
For general hull cleaning you don't need nearly as much weight as you do when diving, unless we're talking about cleaning a very large vessel. And BTW, you take off your weight belt BEFORE you get out of the water.
I just have a regular sailing drysuit, but when it's bottom cleaning time, I surely do love it.

What thickness of wetsuit are you wearing that requires 40lbs of weights? That seems like a huge amount.
I measured the sample I have and it measures 5 mm but the suit is a combination of two thicknesses either 5 mm and 7 mm or 3 mm and 5 mm. I do not recall.
I wear the weight for more or less neutral buoyancy. I don't like getting pushed against a slimy hull too much. There is no way that I can take the weight belt off in the water and get it into the boat and yes, I was very surprised about the amount of weight required!

What is a 'sailing drysuit' ?

Edit: googled the drysuit but am amazed that this could be used for diving .... more research is required
Old 18-05-2017, 12:58   #30

Boat: Prout Event 34

Talk to the experts, not us.

Scuba Diving Medical Safety Advice — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Don't jump off the boat without them.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving