Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 13:08   #31

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Itching lower legs after diving ?

Is no one reading he is only cleaning the bottom of his boat? He must have a deep boat for what you guys are telling him.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 13:11   #32

Boat: Montgomery 17

Why take the guy off the track of decompression sickness? If he was a friend or relation, I would encourage him to investigate it. Tell a doctor familiar with diving medicine. DCS left untreated can lead to permanent disability.
Scuba diving in shallow water, usually regarded as safe, causes the bends in dozens of Australians each year, a conference was told yesterday.

David Griffiths told the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists conference in Brisbane that it was possible to get decompression sickness diving in sea water less than 10 metres deep. One diver in 10 who suffered the bends was in this category.

"It is now clear that even shallow water dives can produce decompression sickness," said Dr Griffiths, director of the Hyperbaric Medical Unit at Townsville Hospital. "This condition is quite difficult to diagnose and, untreated, can lead to permanent disability."

One diver got the bends - a painful condition caused by gas bubbles forming in the bloodstream - from diving in water less than four metres deep.

Dr Griffiths said that a study of 350 cases showed at least 35 had dived in less than 10 metres of water. Those who repeatedly ascended, did hard work underwater, or drank alcohol afterwards were most at risk.
Symptoms include lethargy, aches and pains and confused thinking. Serious cases can lose sensation in the limbs or permanently damage the brain and nervous system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+...+shallow+water
Old 18-05-2017, 13:17   #33

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The itch can come from salt water drying the skin. I have that problem below the knees and have to wash off with fresh soon after surfacing or the itch will drive me nuts. Fresh water seems to solve my problem.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 13:25   #34

Hell I am itching now.
Old 18-05-2017, 13:52   #35

If all else fails , check Divers Alert Network (DAN) either medical FAQs or there is an area where you can ask for medical advice
Lemanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 13:54   #36
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by theerwagen View Post

One diver got the bends - a painful condition caused by gas bubbles forming in the bloodstream - from diving in water less than four metres deep.
My keel is at 5.5 FEET, just a tad short of four meters, 12 or so feet. I am at the 5 foot mark for maybe 5 minutes.

Quote:
Symptoms include lethargy, aches and pains and confused thinking
Not to take your post lightly (it is a serious subject after all) but how would I tell those symptoms from normal every day feelings that are identical ?

Anyway, until public swimming pools install decompression chambers as a matter of course, I think I am pretty safe to dive to 6 feet without getting the bends.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 14:35   #37

Decompression sickness is all about depth and time breathing compressed air. The pool scenario doesnt play because your not on compressed air. That being said, i dont think my dive computer even registers until 10 ft. , but you do have to take it serious. Internet medical advice will always have you believing the worst. My advice is to forget everything and have it checked out with the conditions you already have. While i have not had cancer/chemo, i am diabetic and dive regularly in 50F water and dive often in warmer gulf waters pushing 150 to 200ft. And have never had symptoms like you describe. That doesnt mean they cant be related. Good luck
Old 18-05-2017, 15:02   #38

[QUOTE=Jd1;2395214]I am wondering if anyone has experienced intense itching on the lower legs after diving? I use a wet suit.

I would put the suit in a big pot of water and bring it to a boil for a few minutes. Then try it again. If that doesn't work then cut off the legs (of the suit) just above the itchy part. I that doesn't work, then time to see a doctor.
Sounds like a mite infestation IMHO.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 15:16   #39

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Just a couple of things...

If you hang a rope with a snap-clip off the side of your boat you can thread it under your weight belt and clip back to its own line, then simply remove the belt and haul it on board later. Another one for your tank, another for your catch bag if applicable.

The other thing...I don't wanna harp on about deco sickness since I think the likelihood is quite low compared to cold effects, but do be aware that heavy exercise radically increases the likelihood, as does every pound of fat you may be carrying. If you are on compressed air, overweight, and working hard underwater, then you should be extremely cautious. If this happened to me (bad itching) I would get back in the water asap (ideally with a couple of extra full air tanks), and get straight back down to previous depth. The itching should disappear immediately if it is deco sickness. If so, then spend as long as possible returning gradually to the surface assuming you have spare air, then see a dive doctor asap. No spare air but the itching stopped like magic....ambulance....deco chamber. Yeah - it could be the cold, but you don't wanna take chances with the bends.

I always itch like crazy after hull scrubbing, but I'm in hot, hypersaline water, and the little bastards seem to prefer to get in my hair and ears first (must buy a hood)....
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:42   #40

Boat: Montgomery 17

My friend that is a scuba instructor recommended this:
I would have the person contact Divers Alert Network. You do not have to be a member to ask medical questions. They will help. This website is a great resource for diving and medicine.
For emergencies dial 919-684-9111; for non-emergency 919-684-2948.

Scuba Diving Medical Safety Advice — DAN | Divers Alert Network
Old 18-05-2017, 18:24   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I am wondering if anyone has experienced intense itching on the lower legs after diving? I use a wet suit. I can't see it to be an allergic reaction since only the lower legs maybe half way to the knee are affected. It lasts about an hour after coming out of the water. The legs don't feel itchy while diving. The itching skin is red but I am not sure if it's just from me scratching (it's a real intense itch!).
Oh, I rinse with fresh water as soon as I get out of the water.
Is your suit a bit loose? Many times this has happened to me whilst mussel diving or boat bottom cleaning. Anenome stings will do it but there are other sea creatures that I havent identified that will get you. I got something from the pharmacist to relieve the stinging when I got a real bad dose whilst diving without a suit but with a tight fitting lycra top. Unfortunately I cant remember what it was called. Calamine lotion helps but that wasnt what the pharmacist gave me. Mite have been something in the antihistamine line but you'll have to ask
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:47   #42
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Thank you for all the suggestions. I now believe that the issue is caused by the cold water and the amount of time I spend in it. Diabetes might be contributing to the effect. When next I have a chance, I will wade in cold water for 45 or so minutes without a wet suit and see what m legs feel like after that. I suspect that my legs will feel the same as when I finish a dive and it will eliminate the wet suit and the actual dive.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 23:03   #43

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Jd,

Add cold water Uticaria to your diagnosis list of possibilities. It is an allergic reaction to cold and can manifest in certain areas of the body and not others. Can you reproduce it by running an ice cube on your leg?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:09   #44

Boat: Catalina 30

I... have an addiction to food and little will power

You have an addiction to carbohydrates:

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Richard K. Bernstein, Hardcover | Barnes & NobleĀ®
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 16:32   #45

Boat: Cuthbertson marconi sloop 11.5 meters

I get that on my upper legs, unbearable itch. Have started rubbing savlon cream on before pulling suit on. It works. Not delving into medical side
MickWay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving