Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 14:09   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have never smoked so I am not one of those reformed zealots. In public places or bars I don’t like it, but it doesn’t bother me and I respect other people’s rights.

But on my boat, I made the decision a long time ago that there would never be any smoking allowed (not even on deck). Apart from the dangers of fire and the mess of ash….this is my environment and I will control what I breathe.

I go to great pains to advise any guests that these are my hardcore rules before confirming any cruise and most who smoke, usually abide by it.

The odd person though will play a hiding game and it drives me crazy to the point now that I never even consider inviting a smoker along for a few days cruise.

I'm with you. If they want to smoke they can do it somewhere other than in my house, my car or on my boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 16:10   #17

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I am a smoker (one of those who should be taken outside and beaten to an inch of his life). However, I never smoke in the home, car, office or boat of a non smoker…even when invited… I would normally pop out side occasionally as appropriate. I have a part share in a 37ft cruiser, owned by a non smoking friend of mine and I never smoke below deck. That is simply good manners!

In my boat “finally getting her bottom wet in twelve days” I shall continue the rule to only smoke on deck towards myself and guests. That is simply a safety factor as the weather is a problem.

If I was invited on a two week cruise when I couldn’t smoke “down wind” ( its never happened) then truthfully I don’t know whether I would accept….which is really quite sad when you think about it…

In any event we live by the general natural philosophy that we are free to do as we wish, with the caveat that it should not impinge on another’s right. As this is almost impossible to achieve the vast majority of us learn to compromise. No doubt this means that sometimes we are not invited or when invited with the restriction kindly decline with understanding.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 16:48   #18
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
If I was invited on a two week cruise when I couldn’t smoke “down wind” ( its never happened) then truthfully I don’t know whether I would accept….which is really quite sad when you think about it…

In any event we live by the general natural philosophy that we are free to do as we wish, with the caveat that it should not impinge on another’s right.
If you can smoke in a way that others can't smell it, then it wouldn't be imposing on them. However, often times the air doesn't just smoothly flow past the rear deck of a boat. It whirlpools and swirls around coming back into the cabin. Less of a problem on a sailboat.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12   #19

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
I sail with friends, not strangers.
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:52   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Years back I used to run a 180 ft charter yacht that spent her summers doing back to back 3 and 4 day salmon fishing packages on the remote BC coast (from May till September). 28 guests on one yacht and 12 on the smaller that did the bird-dogging to find the salmon runs.

We used to fly our laundry in and out as the water makers in those days were not that efficient in those icy waters.

I asked the laundry service to always set aside sheets and pillow cases with cigarette burns and to package separate so we could assess and repair.

I received those packages on almost EVERY trip!

So I think that experience has scarred me for life!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:35   #21

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I worked on tuna boats where crew were smoking in the galley and cabins. I used to go and sleep on the bait net in the netboat. It smelled sweeter than the cabins.
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
I am an ex-smoker (decades ago), My son smokes but never in the house, I have just spent a week in a yacht with a smoker. He always smoked on the furthest downwind part of the boat, and always checked beforehand that it would not cause a problem.

Provided people do their utmost (like these examples) to avoid ofending non-smokers, I do not see a problem.
Old 24-10-2008, 14:07   #23

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Im a 100% non smoker, but grew up in a house with my grandmother that smokes almost 2-3 packs a day. I hate smoke. My boat is a total non smoking area. Ive got a few friends that smoke and they understand that smoking is not allowed on the boat. Ill let them take the tender for a quick run to have a smoke.

Ive got a buddy that smokes and has a 28' boat. He smokes in the cabin and it reeks. When i go over to his boat, i sit right in the doorway.
Old 24-10-2008, 19:10   #24

I think when the rules are clearly stated and then are broken by a guest--passenger or crew--it is very disrespectful. It may be an overreaciton on my part but I couldn't trust that person to take orders from the captain.
wcsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 20:48   #25
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I think this is a simple case of respect. If someone has a child with a violent allergy to peanuts and you tell guests up front to just not bring any peanuts on board, but they do..., well, this is a lack of respect. If you say no alcohol is allowed, same thing.

If you have a no-smoking rule, and they smoke, I think it is totally acceptable to throw them off the boat. It's not as bad as safety rules violations, but it does rate right up there with putting paper towels in the head.

I smoke. And I throw butts overboard. But, I smoke non-filters, so they are totally biodegradable (Just for you, S/V Antares).

I don't smoke IN the boat, however. And I don't allow people to throw filters overboard (I provide old film canisters). If someone lights up in my boat, I go off on them. But, I make it VERY clear before leaving the dock that I'm militant about it.

To take this further, I DO smoke in my truck. But if I have a rider, I think it's rude for me to light up without asking them if they mind. Once again, just a simple case of respect.

On the boat, it's a little harder to arrange being by myself, so I tell my guests up front that I reserve the right to smoke on the flybridge. If no one is in the cockpit, I'll smoke there. If people are both places, the people on the flybridge either have to move or deal with it.

I get equally annoyed with militant non-smokers and inconsiderate smokers. However, while I can try to ignore the militant non-smokers, I have to live with the backlash from the inconsiderate smokers.

BTW: Nothing said about smokers in this thread so far has annoyed me in the least. So, if something I said above sounds like it was aimed at something someone said negative about smokers, it wasn't. Just giving the opinion of a (hopefully) respectful smoker.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:33   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Q: Three people are in a lifeboat, adrift at sea. They have four cigarettes, but no matches or lighters. How can they each smoke a cigarette?

A: Throw one cigarette overboard, which will make the boat a cigarette lighter.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 07:41   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Won't work, Gord. Obviously you're not a Bette Davis fan, and you've never heard the expression "three on a light". Using the same light (match) for three people is incredibly bad juju.

The raft would convert into a lighter, and them promptly sink out from under them. That's the way magic works.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote