Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 19:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You would be better off with a ride-on mower with sidecar.
Plus you might cut some grass and make a little money on the side.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 05:47   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A couple of guys on my dock have attatched a small motor to their mountain bikes. They bought them as kits for just this purpose. They zip right along too.If interested I will look into the name of the kit for you.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:52   #18

I was in Tortola in 2000, and we had a 250 Yamaha onboard. Afterwe got to our assigned dock, we un-loaded it, the boss rodeoff on it, about thirty minutes later he came walking back sans bike. You are correct about the 150cc deal. ALSO they have a very stringent helmet law. So it would be prudent to check ahead by e-mail, or whatever at your destinantion for the laws, it could save you a lot of headache and expense. They impounded our bike and it cost us dearly to get it back.
seacork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 07:18   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Hey Jolly, don't put England down so much, you've invented at least a couple of other things besides a motorized wheel. Anyway, the wheel looks very cool to me. Kind of like the old solex bikes when I was a kid.
Besides the practacality of it, does anyone know if you can take a US registered vehicle and use it in say - New Zealand?
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 10:51   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
There are a few electric bicycles out on the market now. Schwinn even does a folding aluminum one. Would keep the weight to reasonable, allow you to pedal for exercise and motor when you're tired - or motor-assist for steep hills, etc.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:28   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Everywhere we've cruised (except some locations in the States), it's been really easy to find transportation. Usually the "dollar buses", which, as has been said, are a hoot.

I've never felt that a scooter or bicycle would have been even remotely worth the hassle of storing and maintaining it.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:32   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Everywhere we've cruised (except some locations in the States), it's been really easy to find transportation. Usually the "dollar buses", which, as has been said, are a hoot.

I've never felt that a scooter or bicycle would have been even remotely worth the hassle of storing and maintaining it.
I'm mostly with you on this, Hud.

I can't see having yet another engine to take care of - in fact, I'm toying with the idea of getting a proper rowing/sailing dinghy.

To the point, I would have to disagree about a bike. When the nearest groceries are a couple miles away, and you don't want to introduce warm items into your freezer/refrigerator, a bike is very good to have.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:10   #23

Boat: Switch 51 #10
I would also love to have a motorbike on board. There is one man (on a boat called Wylo II) who is travelling around the world taking his Sunbeam S7 or S8 (1950's 500 cc shaft-driven bike) with him. I also have an S8, but it is too big.
There is a really small bike called the Honda Dax (produced until 1996), another one even smaller called the Honda Monkey
In the EU it would not be a big problem to take a motorbike across borders, that is if you have it registered and insured in one of the EU countries
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:20   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I once saw one of these on the bow of a boat in Ft. Lauderdale. I have to admit it was a PRETTY BIG boat.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amphicar.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	3462  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 13:21   #25

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
I can not imagine riding a bike in Nassau or St. Maartin. The way they drive there scares me when I am walking. I have seen helo pads and small Honda cars on some of the vessels that visit St. Augustine. I think a $5 bike from a police auction would suit the bill, the way things rust around the water.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 13:44   #26
Kai Nui

The hassel just does not make sense to me. Inconvenience of storage, extra weight, extra maintanance, extra license cost, and, not mentioned here, extra insurance costs. These would quickly outweigh the cost of taking a bus or train to farther destinations, and for the more local stuff, a bicycle is fine. If you do not like the folding bikes (I don't), there are so many good quality inexpensive options out there it just makes sense. We purchased two aluminum Schwinn mountain bikes for only $150 ea. These have held up well on deck, and through all weather.
Old 19-05-2008, 18:47   #27

This little bugger is a godsend. 25lbs, 20mph, and will go 200 miles on a liter of fuel. Folds up nice and compact and can easily store anywhere. CAn even pull along a little trailer behind it.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 20:03   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
i have 2 Honda 50cc dirtbikes that I plan on taking with me on my boat. They are in the marina parking lot right now, but I have already measured it out, and they will fit into large rubbermaid plastic containers, with about 10 minutes of work, so that I can store them below decks, or possibly even above decks. I haven't quiet decided yet. Honda 50s are exceptionally reliable, easy to work on, and common, as the motors have been basically the same for like 40 years. I added big bar kits, and bigger shifters, to allow adults to ride them. I may add big footpeg kits at a later date. Spare parts like tubes and chains are super cheap, and the bikes only take about 600cc of motor oil. In the US, anything below 50cc (hondas are 49cc), with under 2.8hp, and able to reach a speed of not more than 30 mph up a grade of, I believe, 6 percent is actually considered a motorized bicycle, thus making it subject to all of the same laws. I have talked to several cruisers who have been to the south pacific, and they said they doubt the cops would care if you used those. if i do get hassled, i'll just plead ignorance and hope for the best. even in the us, ive pulled over on them a few times, in texas and california, and the cops have always let me go. of note, they are not street legal in any way, but can be converted through Baja Designs, Dual Sport Kits, Dual Sport, Lighting, Motorcycle, Trucks, Prerunners, Offroad, and a bunch of BS paperwork.
Old 19-05-2008, 20:46   #29

Boat: 44 footer
I've been looking at mopeds lately... partly because of gas prices, and the desire for a motorcycle.
No where to store one on my boat, but a hundred + miles to the gallon and no insurance/titling required in a lot of places.

Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 21:54   #30

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post

This little bugger is a godsend. 25lbs, 20mph, and will go 200 miles on a liter of fuel. Folds up nice and compact and can easily store anywhere. CAn even pull along a little trailer behind it.

How loud is it? I see kids in my neighborhood buzzing around on them, but they're louder than pipin' Harleys.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote