Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 10:26   #46

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I guess it depends on your location. Here in the PNW the humidity and temp swings can play havoc on a wooden instrament. I kept a guitar on board for a while on my last boat but it suffered warpage and delamination though a liveaboard situation may be diferent.
Fred,

Do you think your guitar problem is in any way related to the fact that the hull was wood?

I had a 6' grand piano. I know on land the PNW is considered one of the most benign climates for pianos because the humidity range is closer to idea than just about anywhere else.

Personally, I have had very bad luck with humidity problems on board. Set of Henckel knives literally had their edges fall off and a pressure cooker value froze shut after a winter in Alaska. Base strings for the classical show corrosion pretty fast if stored on board here in the PNW.

I think live aboard might be different because of drying out from heating the boat.

I'm thinking of picking up a harmonica and storing it aboard in a Pelican box, but I can never decide between chromatic or scaled.

(PS, Good to meet you at the party last weekend.)
Old 16-02-2010, 10:52   #47

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I don't liveaboard, so take this as you may, but I have a Takamine guitar that spends weekends on the boat when we're just drinking beer and hanging out. I definitely notice tuning changes from the time I put it in the case at home versus when I take it out of the case on the boat. However, it has an onboard tuner, which is incredibly handy. It also has a steel rod in the neck to restrict the warping of the neck and allow adjustment.

I went with the Takamine over a similar Martin because it was solid wood whereas as the Martin, which was more expensive than the Tak but the cheapest Martin in the store, had a veneer top.

I've had the Takamine four years now, gigged it, camped with it, boated with it - no problems at all.

I'd say with any stringed instrument that's going to be in harsh environments, go with solid wood and look for a metal truss rod in the neck.

It also probably wouldn't hurt to keep a couple packets of dessicant in the case and in the body of the instrument itself.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 12:50   #48

Boat: Sundance 23
I have my old Fender Acoustic (my baby actually) that I'll take on board and probably take home each time.
inSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 14:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Gangsta Rap/Hillbilly Fusion
You mean like this?

RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57   #50

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
when at anchor i frequent the Dunbar p3 bagpipes. makes for an empty shelter if i want to be alone. all it takes is a few "off key" strikes on the chanter.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:42   #51

My acoustic Taylor guitar has not suffered any ill effects on either dry Mexico cruises or now in the humid South China Sea. Stored in a hard case. No special treatment. Do it. I don't bring anything on a boat I'd regret losing.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:48   #52
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Living on board I’ve tried Banjo, 12 string, Ovation and everything eventually succumbed to moisture… especially when you take it to the beach).

That is… except for my metal National/Dobro.

Traded in my Ovation for it in 1979 in San Fran (I think the place was called 5th or 7th string?) and it has held up beautifully.

It is the same model as used by Mark Knopfler which is featured on the Brothers in Arms Cover

Cover Art:* Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Even though he uses a different one in concert.

I have had a great time with late night jamming with local musicians in the Pacific islands and in Mexico.

When in open D tuning, the acoustics are so precise that if you speak loudly…. It begins to hum back at you… They get a kick out of that..

The sound is loud and harsh, more suitable for blues, but the guitar is ideal for the rough treatment and humidity of cruising

This is more the natural sound.

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49   #53

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
There is a Taswell 72 AS for sale in Florida. It's original owner had a baby grand piano on board. It is no longer on the boat. I'm sure it was difficult to keep tuned.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote