Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 15:42   #91

Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

I see both sides.
Old 30-07-2014, 15:49   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Really grasping at straws aren't you. Sign of losing a debate.
The first one that starts using insults usually indicates that they are losing the debate.

Coops.
Old 30-07-2014, 15:58   #93
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
While I was crossing the Atlantic with the ARC, I wrote messages in about 10 wine bottles. I tossed them at different points, but all before the halfway point. So at least 1500 miles away from land.
I just got a call from a man in Florida who was fishing 20 miles offshore. He saw some fish huddled around my bottle and he picked it up! It had some barnacles on it and he read my note and called me.

I am quite giddy about having the first bottle found. The rest are making their way to landfall soon! It was 8 months ago that I tossed overboard.
I guess the fish were enjoying it on it's way.
Hi Wendi, this is great news .
Not only did it brightened up my day to read about it, it clearly made the finder happy as well as yourself. 3 positive outcomes at least.
I'm sorry not to have posted this right away but better late than never I guess.
Reading all the negative comments leave me somewhat sadder...

Anyway, good for you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-07-2014, 16:21   #94
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
The first one that starts using insults usually indicates that they are losing the debate.

Coops.

No insults there Coops. I'm sure if there were you would have deleted my post:-)
Old 30-07-2014, 16:40   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
No insults there Coops. I'm sure if there were you would have deleted my post:-)
You are right. I was just making a general comment, not specifically aimed at your post.

Coops.
Old 30-07-2014, 17:11   #96

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Re: My Message in a Bottle, found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
That's cool Wendi Don't let the Litter Gestapo kill your joy
Ditto dat...
Old 30-07-2014, 17:33   #97

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Quote:
Common sense is abiding by a law, unless of course you consider yourself above the law. And the intent of the law is to stop pollution and floating debri in the ocean.
People that live in glass houses... I'm tellin' ya. As self righteous as you are I have to assume that you have no diesel engine, outboard, or use propane for cooking. Not to mention using any products on your boat that may have been manufactured in countries that have less than stellar environmental controls in place. Where do you draw the line? I'm surprised you didn't grill Wendi on whether or not she used recycled paper for her note. A message in a bottle. Seriously?
Old 30-07-2014, 17:49   #98
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
People that live in glass houses... I'm tellin' ya. As self righteous as you are I have to assume that you have no diesel engine, outboard, or use propane for cooking. Not to mention using any products on your boat that may have been manufactured in countries that have less than stellar environmental controls in place. Where do you draw the line? I'm surprised you didn't grill Wendi on whether or not she used recycled paper for her note. A message in a bottle. Seriously?

I'm not self righteous, I just try to abide by the law and do what I find is right. Though you may not like or agree with the rules, they are rules. And if you have a problem with the rules, take that up with the rule makers not me.
Old 30-07-2014, 17:55   #99

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

The answers are all in this video
Old 30-07-2014, 18:02   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

So what does it mean when Australia has not ratified annex 5?

" Australia (ratification)1 (with the exception of Annexes III, IV and V of the Convention) 14 October 1987 14 January 1988 "

https://imo.amsa.gov.au/public/parties/marpol78.html

Enforcement in International waters is referred back to the home flag.

Also there are a large number of states that have ratified with the exception of V.

So is this a law that applies to Americans and not Aussies?

Oh, I am flagged in Singapore - Am I OK to drop message bottles in International waters?
Old 30-07-2014, 18:08   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
So now we are not allowed to set our poo free when at sea?
Sure you can. Just don't run it through your head or holding tank first. That would be very, very bad.

I remember all the negativity you got from the mostly arm chair crowd re the ARC. BUT, you did it and now the arm chair crowd needs something else to be expert about. It's what they do instead of doing what you did.

Has always been so.

Glass in the ocean, the horror. Wait, why?
Old 30-07-2014, 18:10   #102

Wendii that was a very cool result.

Now I know there are three things to not bring up on CF:
  1. Anchors
  2. Guns
  3. Messages in Bottles.

What would the POlice say?

Later,
Dan
Old 30-07-2014, 18:25   #103

I am surprised by the number of people who think it is OK to throw non-degradable glass bottles into the ocean, or who justify it based on "tradition". I have lost count of the number of smashed glass bottles I have picked up on beaches around the world to avoid people cutting their feet, and yes, I have had the misfortune to cut my own feet on glass I did not see. If you have space to carry the full bottle, then you have space to carry the empty back to land.

When I was growing up in Australia it was a "tradition" to fill up your car with beer bottles, friends, and guns, and drive around drunk, throwing bottles out of the window and shooting mail boxes, road signs, and anything that moved. Times have changed, and driving drunk, shooting road signs, and throwing bottles out the window are now illegal and will get you in serious trouble.

People need to understand that what society considers acceptable has changed, and that applies to throwing garbage into the ocean from yachts, and especially to garbage that will float to land and need to be cleaned up by someone.
Old 30-07-2014, 18:56   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
When I was growing up in Australia it was a "tradition" to fill up your car with beer bottles, friends, and guns, and drive around drunk, throwing bottles out of the window and shooting mail boxes, road signs, and anything that moved.
Ahhh.......the good old days in the Northern Territory, brings a nostalgic tear to me eye......

Good onya Wendi, glad you got a reply, most don't.....

Old 30-07-2014, 18:59   #105

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Wendi - Well, I was one of the guys that "crapped" on you wrt to a short notice ARC crossing on a new boat (to you and onboard for 2 weeks before leaving?) and relative to your experience level.

So how did rush to make the ARC work for you. Based on your own accounts, police down to the boat to throw your crew off. Midnight confrontations in the middle of the ocean, a ton of interpersonal anguish while trapped in a small place with an unstable crew. Not my idea of cruising.

Which BTW could have ended way worse and would not have happened with measured planning and preparation. You made across and showed us that cautioned you but IMHO you paid a high price to say you made it.
IT was an adventure. Finding crew and choosing them was done after many interviews and research. No matter how long I had to prepare, there is not a great foolproof way to guarantee a good crew. Ellie was the ringleader and as is the risk for anyone sailing with crew, it can be an eye opener.

I had plenty of prep time, was fully equipped, attended workshops, passed all the safety inspections, braved the hardest ARC with an insane 6 days at the end.
The one crew who masterminded the final event was a very disturbed and unstable woman. She jumped on another catamaran within a couple of days of landing in St Lucia. They were in for an unexpected adventure as well.