Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 07:06   #16

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: New Waterproof Drone With Camera that follows you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Did you not see the drone in the video? How do you video something that doesn't exist?

A whole bunch of tech sites have already written reviews on it, CNET, Yahoo, DPReview, a few others. We better warn them that they were hallucinating!

I saw this movie called star wars that has light sabers in it... where can I buy one? They must be real if I saw it in a video on the internet!

They're not selling them for another year... a lot can change in a year... somebody can beat them to market... or they might never be able to deliver for that price or with those features. If it's a year from release there's a lot of smoke and mirrors in that ad.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:15   #17

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Cool concept, but according to their website, it has a max altitude of 50' above head (assuming that means above puck location), so probably not useful around most sailboats.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I saw this movie called star wars that has light sabers in it... where can I buy one? They must be real if I saw it in a video on the internet!

They're not selling them for another year... a lot can change in a year... somebody can beat them to market... or they might never be able to deliver for that price or with those features. If it's a year from release there's a lot of smoke and mirrors in that ad.
You asked...

Brand New Hasbro Star Wars Force FX Lightsaber w Removable Blade Kit Fisto | eBay
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:31   #19

Boat: H280

Very neat. Future versions would be good for sailing. But, automation takes the fun out of it. I just bought my first "training" drone. It's a blast. Not that hard to fly if you are ok at controller type games.
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:33   #20

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The force is strong with you my friend!

I'm just jealous because I can't buy one before we go cruising. I can imagine when we come back there will be clouds of these things over every park and school.

I'm guessing the 50' rule is to not piss off the FAA. I wonder if this thing hits your rig and falls in the water if it would just fly back up again or if it would be a MOB procedure.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:07   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

That thing is totally awesome. I'm going to have one in the air at all times...maybe 2 or 3 at once, to get all the angles. Live stream. 24/7. Its the best thing ever invented.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:37   #22

Boat: TBC

I'd considered a using a drone to make video guides to small harbours, marinas and coves.
Until someone could produce a waterproof drone though it was a bit risky and an easy way to loose your gear.
I saw this a few month back but it's not out yet so will just have to wait....
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:44   #23
Marine Service Provider

Wow - that looks very cool! Would love to have something like that to shoot video of a boat on the water. I wonder how it would do with the winds down here? Might give it some trouble!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:47   #24

Boat: Lagoon 40

Looks like a very cool device - I think I want one, but I'm not sure about putting the money up-front to fund development!

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:10   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

While it may work fine on land, I think you may find having it come back to you on a moving boat to be more of a problem. Even if you stop, if you can't actually take control of it, there's a lot of things it could bump in to. I guess this is where the waterproof aspect would come in handy though since if it hit something and took a dive in the water, it could be retrieved (assuming it floats rather than sinks).
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1st View Post
Very neat. Future versions would be good for sailing. But, automation takes the fun out of it. I just bought my first "training" drone. It's a blast. Not that hard to fly if you are ok at controller type games.
I have several quadcopters at home, 1 has a camera on it, another can take a camera. They're pretty easy to fly if it's not too windy, the smaller/lighter they are, the more the wind pushes them around.

The point with this unit is not to fly a drone, but to have a flying platform record video with the least amount of hassles, obviously. The only reason I posted it on here is because it's waterproof, which is something I'm looking for, and only 1 other unit is waterproof, but it's quite a bit more expensive and leaves the camera exposed.

If you want to fly a drone, there are many others that fit the bill better. This is more of a camera that follows you.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
I'd considered a using a drone to make video guides to small harbours, marinas and coves.
Until someone could produce a waterproof drone though it was a bit risky and an easy way to loose your gear.
I saw this a few month back but it's not out yet so will just have to wait....
Do you have a link for that? All of the internet articles and youtube videos came out 4 days ago or less, according to my search.

That's why I've been waiting and wouldn't buy anything unless it was waterproof, too much risk losing an expensive setup.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:04   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by B310Racer View Post
"Pull"
LOL Welcome to CF B310.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Looks like a very cool device - I think I want one, but I'm not sure about putting the money up-front to fund development!

Neil
From a previous post, they got their seed money from venture capitalists. From the videos on youtube, it looks like they have the hardware nailed down, and if they need to tweak the software, it's probably not much. The presale money seems to be going toward production facilities. I think that's a lot less risky than funding R&D.

While there is a risk they won't deliver, I'm willing to take that risk, but everyone has their own levels of acceptable risk. These guys seem to have it together. I like how they decided to zero in on the niche in the market that was wide open, instead of coming up with their own copycat of the Phantom DJ quad. They realized the flaw in all of the other drones is one person needs to pilot it, possibly another needs to launch and retrieve it while another person performs the stunts or action. This way you can just carry it in your backpack and it flies around when you want it.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:12   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I have several quadcopters at home, 1 has a camera on it, another can take a camera. They're pretty easy to fly if it's not too windy, the smaller/lighter they are, the more the wind pushes them around.

The point with this unit is not to fly a drone, but to have a flying platform record video with the least amount of hassles, obviously. The only reason I posted it on here is because it's waterproof, which is something I'm looking for, and only 1 other unit is waterproof, but it's quite a bit more expensive and leaves the camera exposed.

If you want to fly a drone, there are many others that fit the bill better. This is more of a camera that follows you.
or…circles you

or….leads you (looking back at you)

Lots of Answers found on their FAQ page.

For example, the max altitude is 50 feet and the max distance from the tracking device is 100ft.

Waterproof up to one meter.

20 minutes flight time average. 2 hours to recharge the battery.

"We have tested Lily in winds above 20 mph (at the beach), but we advise people not to operate their Lily Camera in winds above 15 mph."

https://www.lily.camera/our_faq/

I think this would be so fun to use for so many purposes, that even IF it is not practical for filming a boat sailing at high speeds in high winds, I can still see many uses related to sailing and boating.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, water