Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 13:49   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: No Go Zones

Doubt ISIL will give a damn who owns the boat.. Turk or anyone else...
The Turk is an 'Uncle Tom'.. hand in hand with the infidels.. likely breaks most of the Commandments so is valuable/disposable..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 14:13   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: NO GO ZONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What a strange thing to say, I don't see the UK banning travel to itself

Dave
Indeed.

At times, the obvious may sound strange.

Maybe even more today that there are so many of us and, to make things even worse, the global slow down in economy rendered huge masses of people suddenly free to roam, think and participate in highly speculative activities. Like religion.

Where we are (Spain) we can see the other face of it. Suddenly, the park is full of runners all afternoon and evening. The park used to be nearly empty 5 years ago and man oh man local people are probably amongst the most obese in the Union. So, they went for low outlay sports.

We have choices. But only before we start bombing and retaliating. Then the choices are gone. And we end up with strange lists.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 14:47   #33

Boat: Various
Re: No Go Zones

We're US flagged. Let's see, other choices might have been Grand Cayman, Marshall Islands, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands. I somehow don't think Criminals and Terrorists would feel any more reluctant to do something to any of those. I don't feel more or less concerned because of my flag.

Basically you get recent information, you decide, and you do whatever you decide carefully. There is no country that doesn't have unsafe areas and things you could do that would put you at risk. I've traveled to countries with warnings and made sure I did not go to the areas of greatest danger or do risky things. And there are areas today I would not consider traveling.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 15:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Under our current US flag, we might need to re-think Turkey... I hope not. Maybe heading over under a Canadian or Maltese flag might be the answer.

Not a good idea. Fly the flag of the registry, otherwise you could be considered a pirated vessel. It also, IMHO, disrespects the country of registry and the country of the flag you are flying.
Timestwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 16:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestwo View Post
Under our current US flag, we might need to re-think Turkey... I hope not. Maybe heading over under a Canadian or Maltese flag might be the answer.

Not a good idea. Fly the flag of the registry, otherwise you could be considered a pirated vessel. It also, IMHO, disrespects the country of registry and the country of the flag you are flying.
I don't think having a Canadian or Maltese flag will suddenly make you safe in an unsafe situation. And it isn't all of Turkey, but certain areas. The state department makes a very clear delineation of the unsafe areas.
Old 27-09-2014, 17:00   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestwo View Post

Kenomac is talking about a possibility of proper change of the flag (re-registering the boat)..
No one of sane mind today would try to sail under false flag, and Ken is very sane guy, I can assure You
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 18:57   #37

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

ISIS showed up just in the nick of time for Hollande, just as it did for the other "World Leaders" in dire need of a diversion from domestic issues. I'm not saying that this particular movement doesn't need to be dealt with, au contraire, but aside from the media splash that only a politically "neutered" national leader could benefit from, I don't think dropping a few bombs here and there is going to make or break anybody's day.

As mentioned before, if you're really ascared of sailing in dangerous waters, by all means, avoid Oklahoma.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 21:30   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here are a few more countries it might be an idea to give a miss!

Death Toll Climbs, as Mosquito-Borne Virus Chikungunya Sweeps Americas
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 21:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
here are a few more countries it might be an idea to give a miss!

Death Toll Climbs, as Mosquito-Borne Virus Chikungunya Sweeps Americas
Between Chikungunya, Ebola and Enterovirus D68 plus others like West Nile and various Flu's and Malaria and the list goes on and on, disease is far more of a widespread threat right now than crime.
Old 27-09-2014, 21:49   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Between Chikungunya, Ebola and Enterovirus D68 plus others like West Nile and various Flu's and Malaria and the list goes on and on, disease is far more of a widespread threat right now than crime.
lets hope so !

seems like you have some nasty mosquitoes in Oklahoma!

alton-nolen-oklahoma-beheading-suspect-described-as-a-little-odd
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alton-no...-a-little-odd/
Old 27-09-2014, 23:22   #41

Quote:
lets hope so !

seems like you have some nasty mosquitoes in Oklahoma!

alton-nolen-oklahoma-beheading-suspect-described-as-a-little-odd
Alton Nolen, Oklahoma beheading suspect, described as "a little odd" - CBS News
Well, I've only been to Oklahoma once in my life and since it's not coastal, doubt I'll return. I would say describing that guy as "a little odd" would now register as a colossal understatement.
Old 28-09-2014, 01:59   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, I've only been to Oklahoma once in my life and since it's not coastal, doubt I'll return. I would say describing that guy as "a little odd" would now register as a colossal understatement.
seems like a bit of an "odd" trend in the making

Woolwich attack: terrorist proclaimed 'an eye for an eye' after attack - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...aded-baby.html
Old 28-09-2014, 05:27   #43

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
due to recent events this is something that probably should be discussed on the forum for those actively cruising.

the French who pretty much go anywhere have put out a long list of countries considered to be high risk for travellers.

interestingly Turkey,tunisia,egypt,malaysia and morocco are on the list,fairly regular stops for cruisers.

translation from this link
Terrorisme : Les Comores dans la liste française des pays déconseillés aux touristes

Terrorism: The Comoros in the French list of countries not recommended for tourists

Following the murder of Hervé Gourdel and entry into the war against France the Islamic State, the Department of Foreign Affairs has updated yesterday its list of countries to avoid because of the risk of jihadist actions.

Eleven countries were added to the new list: Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Burundi, Tanzania, Somalia, Uganda ... and Comoros.
The decision to expand the list of countries where French, resident and visiting, were called to the "utmost vigilance" follows a defense council met behind President Francois Hollande.
On its website, the Quai d Orsay justifies his choice by stating that "in the context of the intervention of the international coalition against Daech, and facing the increased kidnappings and hostile acts against the nationals of coalition countries risk, the French resident or crossing in the country are invited to increase their vigilance.

" When traveling in these countries, the ministry advises French tourists to register on the site Ariane or to notify the consulate of France with the closest they are not registered in the register of French residents outside France.

Complete list of countries not recommended for French tourists:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mali, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Uganda, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Chad, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia , Turkey, Yemen.
I thought at first looking at this list that this was an anti-Muslim statement, as the author might as well have just said the whole Muslim world was a no-go zone. But why miss out Saudi from the list? Afghanistan is in the same category as Turkey. Really!

It is completely rubbish journalism and not factual. Cormoros (amongst others like Turkey) is not subject to advice to avoid, rather to adopt increased vigilance in view of the commencement of coalition attacks against ISIL. Still, a bit obvious really, like being told not to go heckling the Mulah in a Mosque anywhere.

For accurate and sensible advice see:

Conseils par pays - France-Diplomatie - Ministère des Affaires étrangères et du Développement international

Alerts and Warnings

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 07:31   #44

Boat: Skookum 53'

The flag you fly on your vessel will have little or no impact on your chances of getting kidnapped. If you are not a local in the area you are in, then you are likely to be a target. There are places where kidnapping ex pats is big business and not politically motivated, those elements are much easier to deal with.
Old 28-09-2014, 07:48   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hats off to cf members "nornabrion" for being good Samaritans and saving refugees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29391116

,but you have to ask your self ,with the massive influx,over 10,000 a month into southern Europe.

how long before yachts become a target for traffickers for the use of clandestinely getting people in to Europe,or desperate people hijacking yachts and their crew to evade the authoraties.

BBC News - British couple help stranded Syrian refugees to safety