Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 09:04   #46

Boat: Various
Re: No Go Zones

I think it's interesting just to look at the most recent warnings on the US state site. Clearly a wide dichotomy.

Venezuela
Djibouta
South Sudan
Kenya
Honduras
Chad
Russian Federation
Libya
Cameroon
Liberia
Nigeria
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
Algeria
Sierra Leone
Mexico
Lebanon
Ukraine
Afghanistan
Israel
Eritrea
Lesotho
Yemen

Dangers and risks are pretty well spread around. Now most of those don't have warnings against the entire country.

In some countries the warnings are because of local unrest and warning travelers not to get close to the demonstrations and conflicts. They have nothing to do directly with travelers.

I would just advise all to read the latest information on any country you're visiting.

In places like Mexico information is available on a state by state basis.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 14:15   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

any updates on the german couple in the philipines

Philippine Islamist militants threaten to kill German captives | Reuters
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 14:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
any updates on the german couple in the philipines

Philippine Islamist militants threaten to kill German captives | Reuters
In the German couple's kidnapping in the PI, the early reports suggested they were kidnapped because they were German and known to the locals, ie, the flag did matter. Hopefully they will survive and be able to tell what happened.

Since the Moro's are threatening to behead one of them, I would guess the older man, because the woman is more likely generate a ransom. The southern PI's looks like a great place to cruise but it is not safe and the Moro's have attacked to the north into Indonesia and Malaysia which is worrisome. Course this has been going on for centuries with only a few pauses but I sure wish it would end.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 20:51   #49

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: NO GO ZONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We have "No Go Zones" right here in our Massachusetts neighborhood, which is why we always have Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson along with us.

Under our current US flag, we might need to re-think Turkey... I hope not. Maybe heading over under a Canadian or Maltese flag might be the answer.

I'm surprised Oklahoma isn't on the French list.
For an updated list of Massachusetts no go zones:

The "war zone" is now called China town and is pretty fun other than a human head once being found near the Chicken bus a few years ago.

Lock your doors in Brockton still, other than that the traffic sucks.

Dorchester seems to only be a dangerous place to law inforcement and drug dealers.

New Bedford and North Attleborrow feel dangerous but have damn cheap places to rent and everybody's either lived there or knows someone who has so they can't be as scary as they feel.

That concludes the list of no go places on Massachusetts....

Really doesn't seem like the same thing though....

Sent from my C5215 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:24   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Heres the photo of the German couple released last week

I hope these people get out of this alive.
Looking at their faces what do you think they are thinking? What sort of folks are these cruisers? They look like everyone out here - normal folks on a trip of a lifetime.

I hope cruisers will understand there are places you are hated. Nothing to do with having a US, or whatever flag, just because of your skin colour, religion or lack of it, and you are in their country and they just dont want you in their country.

In Oman we were in a taxi and the driver kept asking us why were were there. I said because we are tourists and want to see his beautiful country. His ever increasingly aggressive comments were WHY? Whats wrong with your own country? What are you doing here?

I am glad it was a taxi full of 6 of us and we were close to the port. A couple, or a sole person in a taxi may have been driven to another place.

In Malaysia in Johor Baru in a taxi the driver pulled a Koran from the sun visor and was shaking it at us whilst screaming at my GF and me. He kept slowing down to scream and we were only doing about 15 kms per hour... Took forever.

Someone in this thread recommended going to Djibouti. Maybe 10 years ago. But now? Are you crazy?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 06:52   #51

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

What with TIPP, G20, IMF, OECD, et al, new tax proposals for anyone owning anything outside of their born-national citizenship locale, no-one will be going anywhere it bloody-well seems
Old 29-09-2014, 09:59   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I hope cruisers will understand there are places you are hated. Nothing to do with having a US, or whatever flag, just because of your skin colour, religion or lack of it, and you are in their country and they just dont want you in their country.
I agree with what you said but the flag can/does matter. The German couple seems to have be targeted because they were German. Of the last Americans that were kidnapped, or at least the last three I know about, one was beheaded by the Moros, one was killed during a rescue attempt and the third was wounded but survived.

The German kidnappings seem to be more about money than politics or religion. There are US Special Forces in the PI and I think the Moro's know, or at least have to worry, that some very well trained people might launch a rescue operation for US citizens. It has happened in the past and mostly will happen in the future if US citizens are being held.

Will the German's launch a rescue? Do they even have the ability to figure out which island on which the victims are being held? I think the answer is no to both. To put it another way, which is more likely, the German government paying a ransom, doing nothing or launching a rescue mission? Ask the same questions regarding a US citizen.

If you are a Moro looking to make money, which citizen do you kidnap?

A few years ago, the Moro's were given some political autonomy from Manila. This kidnapping seems to be more about money than anything else and some nations will pay a ransom while others will not.

The flip side is that if the Moro kidnappers wanted to make a political/religious statement, an American would be far better to kill to increase the political reputation.

The Moro's have been given most of the SW of the PIs, including parts of Mindanao, to "govern." I would love to visit some of those areas but the US Government states they are No Go zones and for good reasons. Unfortunately, the Moros are causing problems again, like they did over a century ago, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Later,
Dan
Old 30-09-2014, 19:41   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Prepare to add the US to your list.

Ebola Diagnosed In U.S. For The First Time: CDC

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 23:10   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Prepare to add the US to your list.

Ebola Diagnosed In U.S. For The First Time: CDC

I hope his health insurance is paid up.....this could be expensive
Old 30-09-2014, 23:14   #55
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I hope his health insurance is paid up.....this could be expensive

Bet most insurance companies don't cover Ebola infection.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23   #56

I saw this story this week. Sad.

Two Swiss men killed in Philippines resort town - The Local

Quote:
Two Swiss nationals have been shot dead in a southern Philippine resort town, police said on Monday. The victims, 67-year-old Robert Erich Loever and 78-year-old Baltazar Johann Erni, had just stepped out from a beach resort at 1pm (5am GMT) Sunday in Opol town, Misamis Oriental province, when unidentified gunmen shot them in the head, municipal police chief Senior Inspector Alwin Baclao said.

The assailants fled on foot, Baclao said, according to the victims' two female companions who witnessed the attack.
The women were Filipinos and one of them was the girlfriend of Loever, according to local television station ABS-CBN.

Police ruled out robbery as motive after the suspects ran away without taking the victims' belongings, Baclao said, adding an investigation was underway.

Criminal gangs are known to operate in the southern Philippines, prompting China last month to warn its citizens against travel to the area.
The Swiss federal department of foreign affairs has confirmed two tourists died but has declined to comment further.
The Swiss embassy in Manilla is in contact with local authorities.

The US embassy says to avoid this area of the PI but this place was the more northern fringe of the danger area and some might consider it safer than places farther south. Robbers don't usually just shoot two people in the head much less not take anything of value from the victims.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12   #57

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The US embassy says to avoid this area of the PI but this place was the more northern fringe of the danger area and some might consider it safer than places farther south. Robbers don't usually just shoot two people in the head much less not take anything of value from the victims.

Later,
Dan
Well, it's already been determined this wasn't robbery. So a business or drug deal gone sour or something to do with one of the women, perhaps wife or ex-wife or girlfriend or ex girlfriend of one of the killers. Two key elements say this was personally directed specifically to those two men. First, the fact there was no robbery. Second, that the men were shot but not the girls.

And, not an area I'd want to go to at this time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31   #58

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We have "No Go Zones" right here in our Massachusetts neighborhood, which is why we always have Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson along with us.

Under our current US flag, we might need to re-think Turkey... I hope not. Maybe heading over under a Canadian or Maltese flag might be the answer.

I'm surprised Oklahoma isn't on the French list.
75% of the Turkish gulet fleet is flagged in Wilmington, Delaware so doubtful there is need to re-think Turkey. Just keep from Fethiye north and there should be no problem.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:48   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
75% of the Turkish gulet fleet is flagged in Wilmington, Delaware so doubtful there is need to re-think Turkey. Just keep from Fethiye north and there should be no problem.
that is great to know....as the 2million displaced syrians ,iraqis , kurds and other fanatics move west to antalya and finike they will only find germans to vent their rage on for losing their homeland
Old 08-10-2014, 13:12   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, it's already been determined this wasn't robbery. So a business or drug deal gone sour or something to do with one of the women, perhaps wife or ex-wife or girlfriend or ex girlfriend of one of the killers. Two key elements say this was personally directed specifically to those two men. First, the fact there was no robbery. Second, that the men were shot but not the girls.

And, not an area I'd want to go to at this time.
Unfortunately, it is an area I would LIKE to visit but it is a No Go Zone for me. One boat blog I follow was in that area recently and I thought they were taking a heck of a chance. They stayed at a marina that I thought looked very nice and secure but it still is a No Go Zone as far as I am concerned which is a real shame. The place is a great hurricane hole, MOST of the locals are nice and it would be cheap to hang out in for some time but the risk is too high for me. Plenty of other places to see and stay.

Later,
Dan