Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 22:11   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Ok...Fishing rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
I have a trolling rod with a 2 speed Shimano that has 50 lb mono on it. I have two brass rod holders one the stern rail.

I also use a yo-yo with 400 lb mono (easier on hands) to fluorocarbon leader. I wrap this on a winch and use a bungee as a spring.

If I want to troll a little deeper, I also use a small planer.
I'd love to find a brass rod holder. The plastic ones look weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I started out with a Med-heavy pole and an old Penn 60 reel with 50# test. Between Turtle Bay and Mag Bay I lost 2 lures when I caught something big then I caught something bigger and it broke the pole, broke the remaining eyelets off of the pole and stripped my reel of line. I set the drag a little higher as he was emptying my reel and the line broke with about 50 feet left on the spool. I need bigger stuff.
Now I'm using a stump of a pole with the same old Penn. I've caught a lot of fish on cedar plugs and white or yellow bucktail jigs when trolling. I've also caught a few on the fake squid trolling lures that I got at Walmart for a buck a piece.
I talked to a young couple who came down the same day as me. They broke or lost all their stuff that day and ended up filling their fridge and freezer with a piece of clothes line and a hook with a piece of a Dorito's bag tied off around the shank.
Our pole holder is the old metal one that came with the boat bolted to the stanchion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post
This is the rig I use when sailing. I use chain instead of a lead sinker for better grip and it doesn't get bitten off.

Dang!!! Some of those fish must be big!!! My fridge is only 2.7 Cu. Ft.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 22:40   #17

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I prefer smaller fish but beggars can't be choosers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0024.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	54807  
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 05:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

What gets the most strikes when sailing? Walker Taff Rail Log.
Old 15-02-2013, 16:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post

I prefer smaller fish but beggars can't be choosers.
I was told a story of someone bringing in a very large, high spirited Dorado. Somehow it flopped around in the cockpit, finding it's way down the companionway. It then proceeded to thrash around causing all sorts of havoc with the interior. I was told always cover the fish's eyes when it is brought onboard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-02-2013, 16:22   #20

I liked having a short stiff rod and big reel. 80# test monofilament and always use a 3 ft or longer stainless steel leader. I used a hand line for a while and found I was missing fish I caught! With the reel you hear it screaming right away! and it's easier to guide the spent fish away from the rudder etc. I found about an 8" long rubber squid, yellow/green or blue silver with a weighted head worked well for most anthing from jacks to tuna to mahi mahi. Large hook... 2 0 if I remember.. is that about 1.5"-2" accross the shank to tip? Too big a lure and you might get too big a fish to land or store!

Yeah, those mahi mahi can be very strong... I've had them in the cockpit, with both knees on their side and have them lift me right up! A winch handle cures that....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:23   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
It then proceeded to thrash around causing all sorts of havoc with the interior. I was told always cover the fish's eyes when it is brought onboard.
I dump some alcohol into the gills and it knocks them out right away.
Old 15-02-2013, 16:39   #22

dont waste the alcohol save it for after you have him on the plate
Old 15-02-2013, 16:50   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Those big fish just show ya that ya need a small bat in the cockpit!! get a tee ball bat, they are aluminum and don't take up much room and fit in most deck lockers !! really works well and only takes a smack ! and theres no more trouble from those big fish !! just sayin ya even get rid of all that meaness!! LOL
Old 15-02-2013, 17:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I liked having a short stiff rod and big reel.
Cheechako...please! This is a family forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
get a tee ball bat, they are aluminum and don't take up much room and fit in most deck lockers
probably useful for a few other functions, dare I start a weapons thread...
Old 15-02-2013, 17:56   #25

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

I always see the same responses on this forum about fishing- Cuban yoyos, dragging pieces of wood, using pool cues and rope for line... pouring booze to calm fish down, etc.

Well folks, that ain't fishing. It might be getting dinner, which I understand.

Fishing is a fun sport if you downsize your gear and actually play the fish. Its nice to feel them on a strong, reel- screaming run. Its cool tolose a fight now and then, when the fish proves too much for the situation.

I keep some to eat but most get returned to provide someone else the same fun.

I generally stop the boat to play fish unless there's no choice. I don't drag them at five knots with rope line...blah

So, if you want to fish, take the dink out with a medium spinning rod or fly rod and do the flats, or fish channel edges. Troll small spoons, yo zuris, jigs, and other lures behind the dink or sailboat and hang on!

One good tip from above was to use flying fish for bait. Excellent! Just have to rig so they don't spin.

Do bottom jigging around patch reefs, shoreline dropoffs, and other structures in deeper water.

Good luck-
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 19:08   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Rod holders? Simply lashing a length of 1 1/2-inch PVC to the rail works well and looks good if done neatly.

Rigs? We use bass rods for fun fishing at anchor and around schools, and cuban yo-yos for trolling.
Sail Delmarva: Yo-Yo Fishing

I think I'll try out the chain sinker idea; free if the chain is retired.
Old 16-02-2013, 00:59   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Poor widdle fishies.
Old 16-02-2013, 01:18   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We only fish when we need it or want fresh fish !! We do have a Large freezer, and save all the fish we don't eat right away! Fishing has made our food buget a lot smaller over the years !! and as far as sport fishing is concerned, no such thing for us ! We are Meat fishers !! We have NEVER thrown back a Dorado yet !! call em what ya like but they are just to good to eat !! yellow tail also! Heck I even have a good recipe for barracuda!! LOL
Old 16-02-2013, 12:38   #29

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I always see the same responses on this forum about fishing- Cuban yoyos, dragging pieces of wood, using pool cues and rope for line... pouring booze to calm fish down, etc.

Well folks, that ain't fishing. It might be getting dinner, which I understand.

Fishing is a fun sport if you downsize your gear and actually play the fish. Its nice to feel them on a strong, reel- screaming run. Its cool tolose a fight now and then, when the fish proves too much for the situation.

I keep some to eat but most get returned to provide someone else the same fun.

I generally stop the boat to play fish unless there's no choice. I don't drag them at five knots with rope line...blah

So, if you want to fish, take the dink out with a medium spinning rod or fly rod and do the flats, or fish channel edges. Troll small spoons, yo zuris, jigs, and other lures behind the dink or sailboat and hang on!

One good tip from above was to use flying fish for bait. Excellent! Just have to rig so they don't spin.

Do bottom jigging around patch reefs, shoreline dropoffs, and other structures in deeper water.

Good luck-
I was taught not to play with my food.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:43   #30

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Used Heineken for bait. Some years ago we were anchored in Little Harbor on Peter Island in the BVI's, before all the mooring fields. We stayed there for a week while redoing the varnish in the cap rails. Starting mid afternoon, I would go on the bow and suggest to the Charter's about back winding in the anchorage, and would point over where a better spot would be so they wouldn't have to re-anchor after blowing down on me. After the last boat got settled, I grabbed a cold Greenie, stretched out in the cockpit and opened it. Immediately I heard a crash at the bow of the boat. First reaction was I missed a Benneteau that was going to anchor on top of me. I ran forward, wifey was down below and checked the bow area. As I got to the bow, I saw the resident 4' Barracuda slowly swimming away. On the fore deck, was a very stunned 3' Cerro Mackeral laying across the open forward hatch, with a sizable wound on it's head. Fish scales littered the v-berth. I still think the sound of the bottle opening was enough to make him jump in the boat to get refreshment. He was in the pan about an hour later.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote