Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 22:20   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Now there's a fish story!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 20:09   #32

Boat: Lafitte 44

Cuban yo-yo 50lb test and cedarplug (not painted)

and a few minutes later...
Old 18-02-2013, 20:13   #33

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

That's the good stuff!
Old 18-02-2013, 20:14   #34

Perfect size
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-02-2013, 21:53   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If ya cut the tail top and bottom when ya bring em aboard, that blood line will be gone ! just a suggestion, works for all the sport fish ya catch most anywhere ! Just bleed em like any food animal should be.
Old 19-02-2013, 00:49   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

What're everyone's personal record times for water-to-frypan? A buddy in Aus was a delivery skipper on the Whitsunday/Sydney holiday ginpalace run; his claim was 30 sec, scaled, filleted & sizzling. Who needs a fridge when the larder is called "ocean"...
Old 19-02-2013, 13:36   #37

Boat: csy 37

few months ago a sailing buddy spent a few months in the keys. he's more of a fishing nut than a sailing nut but likes calling his irwin 24 home whenever he can.

so his buddy catches a five foot barracuda off bahia honda. my friend tells him not to boat it - cut it loose. he says, no, i'll bring it in, take a picture, and throw it back - all by himself. fish in one hand, camera in the other. barracuda opens his jaws, takes hold of his arm, and strips his skin from elbow to wrist.

my friend calls the coast guard. they send out a boat and a helicopter and take him to key west hospital. next day he's released, arm all bandaged up. my friend tells him to keep it clean but he gets it wet and sure enough it gets infected. so back to the hospital. this time my friend gives him bus fare back home....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
What're everyone's personal record times for water-to-frypan? A buddy in Aus was a delivery skipper on the Whitsunday/Sydney holiday ginpalace run; his claim was 30 sec, scaled, filleted & sizzling. Who needs a fridge when the larder is called "ocean"...
I dont know about fry pan, but some of a bigeye tuna I caught in the caribe went from water to sushi as fast as the cooler could bring the temp down a little! Ditto for a big (6ft) mahi mahi. (glad I had a catamaran with a 7 foot galley counter for carving that beast.....)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:04   #39

I have heard more than a few time that there are trace elements of Mercury in fish. Anyone knowledgeable on the subject? Another concern is parasites and experience
Old 19-02-2013, 17:16   #40

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I can tell you what they taught me in college. From industrial activities a lot of mercury flowed downstream and into the oceans. It's in the water in very small amounts but the fish's bodies don't ever purge it. The small fish have a little mercury. The medium fish eat the small fish and have all their own mercury plus all the little fish's. The big fish eat those and it becomes more concentrated. The huge fish eat those and you get the idea.
Parasites, yes, they're there but very few in pelagic fish compared to those in the inter-tidal zone or reef fish because they're in areas so far from good places for the parasites to hide when they're between jobs. You can see most of the parasites. I haven't seen any in tuna or dorado but I've seen a lot in rockfish. None of them can hurt you if they're cooked, a few can if you eat them raw. They look like worms or grubs or maggots.
Old 20-02-2013, 03:14   #41

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
We used to do hook-to-sashimi plate in under a minute...more careful slicing than just fileting to cook.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:28   #42

I'm going on my first trip this April from key west to Costa Rica. I've only ever stripper fished in maine. I was planning in bringing a two piece medium heavy 8 foot st. Croix with a 6000 shimano baitrunner. It's my go to stripper rod. Good bad? Any ideas?
Dillon.dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 20:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If ya cut the tail top and bottom when ya bring em aboard, that blood line will be gone ! just a suggestion, works for all the sport fish ya catch most anywhere ! Just bleed em like any food animal should be.

I cut the head and gutted it, tied a line around the tail and dragged it for a few minutes to bleed it out... is the cutting the tail better??

i also did the cheap alchy on the gills for the 1st time... WOW that was quick!! Suddenly the fish went still.

I had not been fishing in YYYYEEEEEAAARS. I was happy i was able to remember how to even fillet the damn thing!

All tips/tricks appreciated.
Old 20-02-2013, 20:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon.dundee View Post
I'm going on my first trip this April from key west to Costa Rica. I've only ever stripper fished in maine. I was planning in bringing a two piece medium heavy 8 foot st. Croix with a 6000 shimano baitrunner. It's my go to stripper rod. Good bad? Any ideas?
I found a brass pole works great for the strippers

ohh wait wrong forum....

I grew up striper fishing on Texhoma, we mainly used the perch I would catch in the AM. But that was the lake hybrid stuff still some pretty good sized ones!
Old 20-02-2013, 22:31   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Cut the tail while they are still alive, and put them overboard with a line thru the gills ! in less then 5 mins they are bled out and ready to cut and eat ! no blood leftif ya have any red line it wil be pale pink !! works for me and it worked for my daddy LOL