Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 19:31   #31

Re: Ripping DVD's

AnyDVD works fine for ripping, works arround protections and all that stuff, keeps the integrity of the files. AVS4You to create avi files and save some space.
saxoldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 21:04   #32

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

With PIPA, SOPA, MPAA, DMCA, RIAA, IFPI, and all the others worried about loosing a penny here and there. Did you not read the warning label. This is a Taboo subject.

Maybe if it didn't cost $75.00 to take a family of 4 to a movie there would be less problems to worry about. After all what happened to the "starving artists"? Seems like millions to star in feature film but a few hundred thousand to spear head the USA and take all the blame for everything that happens?! Hell a play is even $30+ a person so, and $50+ for a good concert! Seems the Sheriff of Nottingham has lost his grip to the Mistrals.

Should be a "not watch" "march" held on Thanksgiving weekend to curb those prices and make a point. But no we will continue being sheep.

w
Old 18-01-2012, 06:43   #33
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

You're talking about live performance prices. You can buy a DVD for $15 bucksf, watch it as many times as you like, and even loan it or give it away. What's the problem with that?
Old 18-01-2012, 07:24   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have roughly 700 CD's. I ripped all of them to iTunes for Windows and have not looked back. Storage on a hard drive takes far less volume and weighs much less of course. It is also very easy to backup my music library simply by copying and pasting the library to a second hard drive, which is then stored is a safe location.

As far as having a hard drive onboard, I have four computers onboard with a total of 6 drives. I have never had a drive failure as a result of the environment in over 15 years. SSD's (Solid State Drives), although more expensive, are even more reliable with respect to environmental factors.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:25   #35

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I ripped all my DVDs and CDs and store them off the boat. I use SlyFox AnyDVD and CloneDVDmobile. I end up with .mp4 files in iTunes that I can play on my laptop, iPod, iPhone, or TV (with an adapter cable). Very happy with the result and I got three lockers back for storage!
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 12:02   #36

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Before leaving cruising, I ripped our 600+ CD's, grouped them into somewhat plausible lots ("jazz", "rock", etc) and put them on ebay with no reserve. I was amazed at how much money they brought in - an average of $4/CD! And because they were in lots, I didn't have many "items" to deal with (I would never try to sell that many individually).

Personally, I don't see the need to keep the physical copies. You can rip in lossless format and terabyte drives cost less than $70 - so you can keep multiple drives as backups for the cost of 6-8 CDs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 12:28   #37

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We use Magic DVD Ripper and convert all of ours to AVI (over 500 movies and tv shows). We store them on 1tg drives with a backup 1.5tb. We use a media player to play the moves on to our tv instead of using our laptop.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:28   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
We use Magic DVD Ripper and convert all of ours to AVI (over 500 movies and tv shows). We store them on 1tg drives with a backup 1.5tb. We use a media player to play the moves on to our tv instead of using our laptop.
Does that program decrypt them?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:41   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"After all what happened to the "starving artists"? "
They're still around. It is the "recording industry" that gets rich and fat, despite their protests, over ticket and media prices. A few artists make big money, many spend twenty years getting "discovered".
When the recording industry was charging $20 for a CD (DVDs are actually cheaper now) that cost a buck to press...or $18 for a cassette that was always of junk quality but cost them closer to $3 each to master in doubletime...you could tell that the
numbers they were claiming just didn't add up. Now they're screaming because the wheel has turned, and the customers they spent years pissing off have, gee, no respect for them. So folks bootleg and dupe and isn't that karma. Karma's a ß|tch, isn't it?

OTOH one of the comedians (Louis) put his own show online and pulled a fast half million in sales almost immediately. No recording industry needed any more, huh?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:42   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Personally, I don't see the need to keep the physical copies.
Mark
Other than it being illegal to not do so? Ripping a CD then selling the physical disc is illegal. You are allowed to make archival backups. If you sell the disc you are supposed to delete the back up too.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 13:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Other than it being illegal to not do so? Ripping a CD then selling the physical disc is illegal. You are allowed to make archival backups. If you sell the disc you are supposed to delete the back up too.
It should have been illegal to sell what was recorded on some of those discs.

Oh well, certainly not the first law I have broken - unwittingly or not.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-01-2012, 14:12   #42
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Illegal? AVI? AnyDVD? Windows Media Player? Man, this is a tough crowd

How about BitTorrent, mp4, Handbrake, VLC Player to replace that list with?

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 15:25   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mark, with the vast majority of "Hollywood" DVDs you don't have to cricumvent anything in order to make a backup copy or transfer them to other media for your own personal use.

VERY few are actually copy-protected in any way, other than the pesky "region" codes.

Back when Lotus123 was unchallenged and damned expensive, hard drives were also damned unreliable. And Lotus' copy protection scheme only allowed for 3 installs from the original floppies, which was a cruel joke. So people who had legally bought the software were forced to buy crack software in order to bypass the protection and keep reinstalling it on their own computer after routine crashes.

Gee...force the paying law-abiding customer to buy crack software...and then, wonder why that same customer is going to pass out additional copies to their friends?

Lotus eventually got smart and dropped the protection. Other venders over the years, haven't seemed to learn the lesson. Make the customer happy, make them think there's some value and fair dealing involved, and they respect the product. Harass them, rip them off, piss them off...and gee, isn't it funny how they reciprocate those feelings too?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:13   #44

Hellosailor, what post are you responding to? That post doesn't exist. Never existed. Nope. It's in the land of MarkJ...

Anyway, back when I lived on dirt, DVD's had DRM on them that prevented easy and direct copying of them. Of course, it was easy to circumvent - some you just marked a bit with a sharpie marker to block the player's ability to read the DRM tracks.

My point (here and now, not then and there) is that the powers that be didn't catch on to CD's fast enough and that cat was out of the bag. But by the time DVD's rolled around, the laws where put in place so that one could not legally make a copy of a DVD - personal use or not.

And that this is a funny thread, being it is all about breaking the law, in light of my comeuppance on unwittingly selling a few 1970's band CD's after making personal copies.

Mark

Old 19-01-2012, 17:32   #45
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Difference is talking about it verses trying to do it.

The forum has no investment or objection to folks "talking" about doing stuff. So long as they don't try "doing it" here.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd