Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56   #106

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate SNUBA - possible solution?

I've seen this at a number of dive sites for those who want to do more than snorkle but aren't qualified to scuba.

Seems if the tanks are filled you could use it while at anchor without the need of running a compressor. I have no idea of the $$$.

Snuba

craig in the cloudy northwest
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
EBAY works great for lots of things and isnt so expensive---remember--buyer beware--one does NOT have to pay retail or retail plus a percent to be into boats and water activities--many folks are selling their stuff and a neighbor found a hookah rig for 200 dollars, complete and in good shape....goood luck!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:23   #108

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
For those of you who are not certified it should be pointed out that using a compressed air source of any kind it is possible to kill yourself in only 4 feet of water and I'm not talking about drowning in a tea cup. If you are going to use any compressed air source for going under water I emplor you to take at least a minimal scuba course. The life you save may just be your own.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58   #109
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
For those of you who are not certified it should be pointed out that using a compressed air source of any kind it is possible to kill yourself in only 4 feet of water and I'm not talking about drowning in a tea cup. If you are going to use any compressed air source for going under water I emplor you to take at least a minimal scuba course. The life you save may just be your own.
from a medical point of view--i concur with above....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08   #110
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by windshadow View Post
what do you think about the unit for 695.00 from discount divers?
Let's have a link/pix so we can see what you're talking about.

Edit:
OK, I just reread the thread and the post you are referring to is from three years ago, so who knows what the price is now. That being said, it looks like a basic electric hookah and is probably fine for light use by a boat owner for hull cleaning etc. Not crazy about the fact that the compressor is not encased in a housing or anything, but the price ain't bad.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10   #111

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Ditto, at least have a working understanding of biology, physics and dive medicine
Old 10-08-2009, 01:41   #112

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Earlier in this thread, Charlie mentioned the possibility of using the 12 volt compressers fron the auto shop that are usually used for inflating truck tyres. Some years ago, I bought two of these and mounted them on a bit of scrap ply. The outlets were plumbed together. I used a pressure switch from an old air compresser and used it to control the pumps via a pair of 12v relays. Onto this was hooked 30 feet of breathing air hose, and a second stage regulator. The unit seems to work quite well, although I have never been down more than six feet. If you are doing something strenuous like using a hammer or a large wrench it is only just up to your air requirements. Maybe an air tank in the line would help. I only ever use it if there is an observer on deck, but it sure beats a snorkel. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 13:54   #113
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I use this.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 17:21   #114

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Craig View Post
I've seen this at a number of dive sites for those who want to do more than snorkle but aren't qualified to scuba.

Seems if the tanks are filled you could use it while at anchor without the need of running a compressor. I have no idea of the $$$.

Snuba

craig in the cloudy northwest
SNUBA is sort of like kissing your SO over the phone: nicer than nothing but not by much. Because SNUBA keeps you on the surface, you're just looking down from above which, IMHO, loses its appeal after a while. At least with a snorkel, you can get below the surface to take a closer look.

All of that said, do not confuse SNUBA with hookah rigs, etc. While SNUBA does supply air, it's all done on the surface, so physiological risks are fairly low. The latter (hookah, etc.) require dive training to use safely. Those who say "but I'm only going down 10-15 feet, so it's safe" only reveal their utter (and life threatening) ignorance.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 19:16   #115

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
. Those who say "but I'm only going down 10-15 feet, so it's safe" only reveal their utter (and life threatening) ignorance.
That is sort of what I thought.

How much of the dive training is needed.

Clearing of mask.
exhaling while rising.
don't panic.
keep a buddy.

I understand it only has a single stage regulator - low pressure - so do the depth/time rules apply equally?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 20:19   #116

To be quite clear: compressed air used at any depth below sea level poses a risk, period. There is no "just enough" training. All scuba gear steps high pressure air (1000 to 3000 psi) down to whatever the ambient pressure is. At 33', for example, that's just shy of 30 psi (or two atmospheres or 2 x 14.7 psi), and at 66' that's just short of 45 psi. Reg stages, etc. have nothing to do with it. Either you've done the Open Water ("scuba newbie") course or you haven't. If you haven't, most shops won't even give you a fill (and those that do... I wouldn't trust their air compressors).
Old 18-08-2009, 21:46   #117

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Right On.

I consider the training I got from doing both my Open Water and Advanced Diver essential. My gear is used and checked out by a certified technician. Down in the Caribbean it is highly desirable to be certified. Half of the wonder down here is underwater. With your card you can refill tanks just about anywhere as well as joining dives that are fun and often beautiful. More and more, in the Caribbean, the islands are not allowing independant diving. Besides routine maintenance, I have also retreaved my anchor which was wrapped around an old cable.
Old 19-08-2009, 05:57   #118

Say what?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyehh View Post
[...]More and more, in the Caribbean, the islands are not allowing independant diving.[...]
As in the fish police will cite you for diving off your boat by yourself, instead of being on a "pay to play" dive with a group? Caribbean "shoot the goose that lays the golden eggs" thinking at its finest.
Old 19-08-2009, 06:14   #119
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Earlier in this thread, Charlie mentioned the possibility of using the 12 volt compressers fron the auto shop that are usually used for inflating truck tyres. Some years ago, I bought two of these and mounted them on a bit of scrap ply. The outlets were plumbed together. I used a pressure switch from an old air compresser and used it to control the pumps via a pair of 12v relays. Onto this was hooked 30 feet of breathing air hose, and a second stage regulator. The unit seems to work quite well, although I have never been down more than six feet. If you are doing something strenuous like using a hammer or a large wrench it is only just up to your air requirements. Maybe an air tank in the line would help. I only ever use it if there is an observer on deck, but it sure beats a snorkel. Regards, Richard.
This is not good. Compressors for industrial use will most likley be pumping oil vapor into your lungs.

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:04   #120
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is sort of what I thought.

How much of the dive training is needed.

Clearing of mask.
exhaling while rising.
don't panic.
keep a buddy.

I understand it only has a single stage regulator - low pressure - so do the depth/time rules apply equally?

People often make this mistake. Though Hookah systems and air tanks are different methods for delivering air to the diver they are both still compressed air systems. All diving rules pertain. In fact with the ability of even longer down time with a Hookah depth/time rules should be very carefully observed. Some Hookah set ups will get you to depths of 90-100 feet. Over on your side is Tarpoon Springs. Sponge divers have always used nothing more than a Hookah type system and they have led the way in early discoveries in depth/time rules. As others have repeatedly said. If you are going to buy a Hookah system get the basic SCUBA training first. Also if building your own system there is more to learn about compressors than just picking one up at Home Depot.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scuba