Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 13:25   #16

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
the downwind info is the lil stuff that makes a difference----btw--if you insist on sailing to baja this nextmonth-- check with me--we can buddy boat, as i am not going to sail this trip during the sailing season for it. i will be leaving around april 1.
Would love this!! We have next to zero experience but we love sailing... Blah blah... We are going!!

I will definitely check out that guide, location and donuts!

We will be out of our jobs by the first, out of our apt and 100% on boat by 12th and leaving for sure by 20th... We would probably leave closer to the first to buddy as we would be FOOLS to choose to set out alone with an offer like that!!

Thank you all for the tips!! Keep em comin please!!

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 14:25   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Sea of Cortez - best of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe View Post
Would love this!! We have next to zero experience but we love sailing... Blah blah... We are going!!

I will definitely check out that guide, location and donuts!

We will be out of our jobs by the first, out of our apt and 100% on boat by 12th and leaving for sure by 20th... We would probably leave closer to the first to buddy as we would be FOOLS to choose to set out alone with an offer like that!!

Thank you all for the tips!! Keep em comin please!!

S/V Joyen's Dream
if we drag feet too long, is not a good thing at this time of year. is going to be wind to baja sur then none. there will be waaay too much wind after entering cortes sea. my goal is mazatlan--i would love to do it in one jump from sd but i dont have a third crew. i dont want to check in until maz-- so i want to have back up spots without port cptn. turtle, mag, guadalupe island. a wind shadow at tip of baja is a place where engine is a must, most of time, i have been advised--and there are some currents crossing cortes sea i will have to use engine. i need to be in la paz or maz by end april sometime--is about a 20 day run. whale pods have cows birthing in mag bay--might be a nice stop by that time, but is also time for them to start back north, so could be exciting... ...pm me---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:46   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sea of Cortez - best of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Also easter is like a Mexican holiday and very crowded so get yourself situated before then. BOB
I don't care who you are: that's funny. Thanks Bob.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 20:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Easter on the Melicon in Mazatlan. Now that is fun! Banda bands putting down that oompah beat; a hundred bands shoulder to shoulder all playing at the top of their lungs!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 21:21   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is a good chart to have for the trip down. It is almost as good as a guide book. Baja Folded Cruising Map - Laminated* - *Charts & Plotting Sheets* - *Guides, Charts & Manuals* - *Books, Charts & Videos

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 22:06   #21

Boat: Islander 36

Sea of Cortez - A Cruiser's Guidebook

Latest and greatest cruising guide to the Sea of Cortez. And you will likely meet Shawn and Heather in the Sea (authors) always collecting info for updates to the book. Really good people.
Old 19-03-2011, 00:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat
Sea of Cortez - A Cruiser's Guidebook

Latest and greatest cruising guide to the Sea of Cortez. And you will likely meet Shawn and Heather in the Sea (authors) always collecting info for updates to the book. Really good people.
Thanks for the link! It looked like a great book to have so I bought it. Thanks a mil.

S/V Joyen's Dream
Old 19-03-2011, 00:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

if we drag feet too long, is not a good thing at this time of year. is going to be wind to baja sur then none. there will be waaay too much wind after entering cortes sea.
Is it seriously that nasty all the time this time of year?? Might we scoot between marinas in between weather and still enjoy ourselves?

S/V Joyen's Dream
Old 19-03-2011, 07:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... downwind marine in pont loma/shelterisland area is renown for its assistance to cruisers and on this coast their FREE cruisers guide to baja is a MUST to have. DOWNWIND MARINE : 2804 CANON ST, sd 92106. CHRIS FROST is the man to see- tell him i sent ye.... he knows me as karen ...
See the http://www.downwindmarine.com/ “Cruising Guide” for a plethora of useful information:
Here ➥ http://www.downwindmarine.com/downlo...ngdownwind.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:49   #25

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe View Post
Is it seriously that nasty all the time this time of year?? Might we scoot between marinas in between weather and still enjoy ourselves?

S/V Joyen's Dream
To repeat, there are no marinas!! It's 700 miles down a LEE shore!! All weather systems on the West coast travel west to east, except for desert dust storms which cause the Pacific swell to turn ugly.
The reason everyone does the "Baha Bash" north in April is to sneak in-between sessons.
Please, go to Downwind Marine and ask for their advice, they hold seminars and have been the jump off spot for people headed south since 1980. Don't relie on just this forum.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:20   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
To repeat, there are no marinas!! It's 700 miles down a LEE shore!! All weather systems on the West coast travel west to east, except for desert dust storms which cause the Pacific swell to turn ugly.
The reason everyone does the "Baha Bash" north in April is to sneak in-between sessons.
Please, go to Downwind Marine and ask for their advice, they hold seminars and have been the jump off spot for people headed south since 1980. Don't relie on just this forum.
Winds travel along the coast and a little on shore They pretty much run NW. But if you have the idea of marina hopping down the coast you won't have a chance to do that. I think you need to do a bit more research. You will need to be self sufficient from the time you leave Ensenada till you reach Cedros Island. Turtle Bay is a more common stop where you can buy diesel and limited provisions. From there you will again need to be self sufficient until you reach Mag Bay. You can sail in to Mag Bay but it is a long ways off the path and you can count on losing at least a day in and a day out. Most people stop in Bahia Santa Maria where you can't get anything. There are anchorages all the way down the coast but there are no Marinas. Most of the time you can make day stops and anchor over night but there are some passages where you can't such as Mag Bay to Cabo. Depending on the speed of your boat the day trips can be very long. I recommend that you buy the Baja Bash II and read it backwards. Not in the sense of starting at the back and reading it to the front but in the sense that you have to interpret what he says and how it would apply to a boat going down wind as opposed to going up wind. Other things to consider:

1) Electronic charts of the area can be off a couple of miles. (Gerry has a paper chart that is said to GPS accurate)

2) There are lots of currents that can overwhelm the speed of most sailboats and many boats have been shipwrecked on the Mexican Coast.

3) There is no USCG to come rescue stranded boats. The Mexican Navy may come help depending on where they are.

4) This is a great trip and can be lots of fun but it isn't a cruise ship experience it is an adventure vacation where you need to be able to solve your own problems and do without what ever breaks or runs out.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe

S/V Joyen's Dream
We were down 2 yrs ago and found it magical. We stayed at Marina Palmira & liked it. Favorites were anchoring with friends we met in coves from La Paz to Puerto Escondido, going into tiny tiendas in towns of small anchorages & La Paz & Loreto, buying fresh fish from fishermen, Canaval, etc. Ok, everything! Had to return to work/ upgrade boat but Lots of boaters live all year. We added a rider to our insurance (boat is r only home) to stay but decided to return. We will go back permanently in 2012. You can contact Club Cruceros by email (at Marina de la Paz) to go over what to do in heat/wind comes as marinas there r prepared. Shawn & Heather's book Sea of Cortez is best as well as Raines cruising guide for way down coast from Ensenada.
Fair winds & smooth seas!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:36   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good stop after Ensenada is T Bay then book it to Santa Maria or into Mag Bay for a day or two before rounding to Cabo. Head a little north of Cabo to Bahia del San Jose and hang a right across to Mazatlan, about 180 miles as I recall. Nice stop is El Cid entrance north of main harbor and down to end of the channel unless you have reserved a slip at El Cid. Easy coast down to PV to the new marina at Nuevo Vallarta and you will start to see some greenery. Charts used to be iffy foe Banderos Bay so double check position before entering. South of PV to Barre Navidad, great spot, nice little town on your left, fancy hotel/marina/ golf courses on your right, good holding ground in the bay straight ahead. Now a fuel dock just past the marina on your starboard side, I believe. Spent about 10 years on deliveries up and down from this area and have great memories of many visits in and out of these and many other spots. Don't leave it too late to go and check your insurance for coverage if you plan on laying over between June and November. Info may be a bit dated but great country and people down there... Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie

4) This is a great trip and can be lots of fun but it isn't a cruise ship experience it is an adventure vacation where you need to be able to solve your own problems and do without what ever breaks or runs out.
Marina talk was more for in the sea of cortez if it was as windy as they say... The boat is insured and if I ever washed up on shore I seriously doubt if I would wish she were still in the water!! If we were ever in trouble I'd run her into the shore with a smile!! We are prepared for the challenges getting down the coast on the pacific... I was getting nervous that Cortez might be off limits for the whole summer due to wind and honestly... We are still going even if it was! We are in no rush to get to or from anywhere so we can wait out any inclimate weather without sucking up vacation time. Hull speed on our Hunter 28.5 is about 6.5 kts... Bulletproof yanmar and outboard backup... New standing rigging... Good sails... Plenty of rum... Let the games begin!

S/V Joyen's Dream
Old 19-03-2011, 14:45   #30

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I agree with all that's been said about Downwind. . . . . They also monitor SSB/Ham and if you leave them your credit card number, they'll order and arrange delivery of any boat parts.
Just FYI: I noticed this in their latest downloadable guide:

MARINE SSB
Due to lack of calls, we have discontinued our monitoring of marine SSB.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez