Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 07:07   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
In Pre-Christian Scandinavia Priests and missionaries were also regarded as bad luck on a voyage, and ....were likely to be chucked overboard
Hmm.... a practice that could go a long way towards achieving world peace IMNSHO. Irish comedian Dave Allen was once asked how to resolve the "Troubles" in Ireland. "Simple", he said, "just burn down all the churches".

As for myself, I am not superstitious, but if nothing else why miss out on the fun of having the ceremony? Crossing the equator in a boat should be noted and I will certainly pay Neptune his due when it finally happens.

BTW - does it only happen once, or every time you cross? I think to be safe, it should happen every time particularly with a tot of rum! In fact I might be tempted to "orbit" the equator in large circles until the rum runs out!
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 07:39   #17

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Ahh, but it seems that many have lost the respect and use Neptues colors, green and blue, on their boats! A serious no no Hard to imagine that even the coastguard recomends blue interior for liferafts! They should know better. No wonder those things are so problematic!!!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 08:20   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
It's nothing short of heresy to espouse the dogma that the gods can be placated via participation in a hazing ritual that inevitably involves men dressing up as women.

Better ritual: write a haiku, ring the ship's bell, toss the haiku overboard at your nearest approximation of the equator.

Neptune loves good verse.
Old 28-06-2010, 12:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It's nothing short of heresy to espouse the dogma that the gods can be placated via participation in a hazing ritual that inevitably involves men dressing up as women.
Eh?

I thought it involved rum, not cross-dressing.

I'm staying clear of that equator thingummy
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 12:38   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
One usually has someone playing the part of Neptune's wife Amphitrite, and if you have no girls on hand to play the part, then a guy has to.
Old 28-06-2010, 15:45   #21

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Eh?
There's two different types of ritual being referred to here — a simple offering to Neptune that people might make on any crossing (e.g. Jeanne Socrates reported today that she made a libation of gin), and an initiation ceremony for sailors crossing the line for the first time, which may take the form of a baptism (such as when Jessica Watson poured a bucket of seawater over herself) or a hazing ritual (traditionally done on naval ships, and sometimes very rough or even violent), and usually involves people dressing up as Neptune et al.
Old 28-06-2010, 16:28   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
it's worse than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Eh?

Line-crossing ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

like I said, a nice haiku, ring the bell.
no objections to rum, of course, especially if we're allowed to substitute scotch.
Old 28-06-2010, 16:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I made a sacrifce crossing the equator but Nicolle swims fast and caught up.

The second crossing with her she locked herself below.

Haha that made me laugh! Next time, open up all the sails, turn on the motor and see her try and catchup then!

Back to the main point, rituals are there for a reason! Usually because the sailor is full up on rum (lol) but just ask yourself this: What if Neptune was real? Would you really want to be on the receiving end of His wrath? Is it worth upsetting him over a small sacrifice?
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 17:05   #24

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
There's two different types of ritual being referred to here — a simple offering to Neptune that people might make on any crossing (e.g. Jeanne Socrates reported today that she made a libation of gin), and an initiation ceremony for sailors crossing the line for the first time, which may take the form of a baptism (such as when Jessica Watson poured a bucket of seawater over herself)
Just thought I'd add links to the blog entries which describe the above ceremonies:

Jessica Watson 1st time crossing baptism:
Jessicawatson.com.au: A Big Day - Pictures Tell a Thousand Words!

Jeanne Socrates n'th time crossing ritual:
Sailing Yacht Nereida - Days 25&26 from N.Z. to Hawaii - "Nereida" crosses the Equator
Old 28-06-2010, 17:52   #25

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
An acknowledgment of Neptune (Poseidon) might be appropriate for most as western civilization inherited the Greco-Roman traditions. Among Christians the patron saints of sailors are St. Nicholas (eastern orthodox) and St. Brendan (Roman Catholic). Among the Norse peoples and present day followers of forn siðr, the two appropriate deities are Njorðr the Vanir patron god of seafarers and fishermen, and Ægir, the jotunn sea giant.
Old 28-06-2010, 18:37   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
All I know is that it is good not to overdo in this department.

On the Equator, it is supposed to be rum, not wine and the likes. Do not ask me how I know.

Then once accepted, you are not supposed to follow the other superstitions (like not taking off on the 13ths, Fridays, etc..

One should also never ever change the name of the boat except if the original name is stupid, or a non-pronounceable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 19:17   #27

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

One should also never ever change the name of the boat except if the original name is stupid, or a non-pronounceable.

b.

I'm a little worried about this one...mine came with a name that is slightly unpronounceable, sort of sounds like you're trying to say something after too much rum while trying to please Neptune or something...Tla Hla....It is suposed to mean "dolphin" in the Haida Indian language so it doesn't qualify for stupid...just unpronounceable...but I really am concerned about changing it.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 19:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
I'm a little worried about this one...mine came with a name that is slightly unpronounceable, sort of sounds like you're trying to say something after too much rum while trying to please Neptune or something...Tla Hla....It is suposed to mean "dolphin" in the Haida Indian language so it doesn't qualify for stupid...just unpronounceable...but I really am concerned about changing it.
Make sure you research the naming ceremony thoroughly enough to ensure you dont miss anything (oh and pick a nice name )
Old 28-06-2010, 20:25   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Don't be silly. I would think that we have become educated and civilized enough to have outgrown such ignorant superstitions.

On the other hand, just in case, it doesn't hurt and who knows.
Joking aside, I find this whole placating gods stuff silly and in retrospect, counterproductive to good seamanship.

While it might have a romantic and traditional attraction to give us mere mortals the added conviction to sail beyond the horizon…. those sailors who have been know to cloud their thinking with tradition, tend to rate poorly when called to think outside the box in an emergency.

So my argument is that it does in fact “hurt”, because somewhere in the back of that placating mind….. a door has been closed on that final surge of survival instinct and determination…… because at that critical point…. the gods are seen to have taken over.

For me....No thanks!….. and may your gods go with you!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 21:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
For me....No thanks!….. and may your gods go with you!
So your saying you have never done a naming ceremony? Never (intentionally) stepped foot onboard a vessel with your right foot first? Do you have no supertitions at all? lol