Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 05:33   #16

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Similar book as Zen and motorcyles maintanance about sailing?

[QUOTE=roverhi;896481 Met Moitessier when he was living on Ahe in the Tuamotu's. [COLOR=darkorchid]He wasn't the typical yacht club sailor.[/[/COLOR]QUOTE]

Indeed. What a splendid understatement. One of the reasons I don't really mind being older than the oceans themselves, is that I have experienced and/or read about some truly epic stuff that younger folks can't even imagine and are not interested in.

callmecrazy: thanks for that super link to the MOQ and Pirsig's essay(s). It should be required reading for all who say they're going to buy a boat and sail away.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 05:36   #17

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Similar book as Zen and motorcyles maintanance about sailing?

Hi all, I'm no expert on zen ,but have these books mentioned above are on my list; maybe they will explain why I find sailing so transcendent.

Nirvana is beckoning with spring arriving early this year in the N.E. U.S..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:15   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Met Moitessier when he was living on Ahe in the Tuamotu's. He wasn't the typical yacht club sailor.
I envy you that meeting. Moitessier was a complicated man, to say the least. I would have liked to have met the Smeatons and the Hiscoxes for similar reasons.

"Tamata" was indeed a bit preachy, but just like an atheist moved by the religious passion of a Martin Luther King, you could get something out of it even if you didn't necessarily buy the entire premise.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:17   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
The Water In Between - Kevin Patterson

Not quite as deep as Pirsig, but he basically translates a lot of other philosophers into sailing throughout the book. Really good read.
Eventually, it was a good read. I found it a bit self-pitying and whiny at first, but the author bucked up in time after the sea gave him some perspective!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman
pirate Re: Similar book as Zen and motorcyles maintanance about sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viilettaja View Post
Hello all,

Would anyone happen to know is there a book which would look into sailing and traveling in same logical and philosophical manor as this Robert M. Prisings classic on motorcycles. Im now in a process of reading this classic again and remembered how much it gave me on my motorcycle travels around Europe, Alps curvy roads and mind numming autobans in Germany.

I think in this forum there are many of you who have read good sailing books and would love to hear from them.

Thank you in advance
Yes as a matter of fact I have just finished a very nice non fiction book that was written as a novel in which the author, Jonathan Reid (Days of Deja vu on amazon's Kindle) describes in plain English how he and his wife built a sail boat in their back garden in South Africa in the mid seventies, during the revolution, and how they learnt to sail it on a large fresh water lake a hundred miles away, and then later after trucking it a thousand miles down to Cape Town where the real fun started. He sails all across the Atlantic, the Pacific etc, has a lengthy chapter or two on single handing and talks all the time of how to do things, the why's and the better not's etc... a great read at a very cheap price...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:56   #21

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Moitessier's "The Long Way" or "Tamata and the Alliance" are arguably in the same spirit and share a lot of the mindset of "Zen".
Wow! This is getting a wee bit cosmic for me now. When I got my old dog-eared copy of "Zen and the Art..." off the shelf, (as I said I would in a previous post) what do you think was a few books down that I ALSO pulled off the shelf? I thought; maybe I should suggest this one also? It was my first edition of Moitessier's "The Long Way". It's a hard copy and it even has the old torn paper jacket still on it. I briefly thumbed through it and immediately remembered how cool I thought it was that Moitessier started out writing pretty much a litteral book about his sailboat race, and the longer and farther he went the more this work becomes VERY spiritual. As S/V Alchemy suggests I believe this would be a great read in addition to "Zen...."
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:13   #22

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Pirsig used some of the profits from 'Zen' to buy a Westsail 32. Never heard if did any extensive sailing or cruising with the boat.
This what wikipedia had to say:
In the years following the publication of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance he has been solitary and reclusive. Pirsig has traveled around the Atlantic by boat, and has resided in Europe and in various places around the United States since 1980
Danosimp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:45   #23

Yes callmecrazy got the right link. Well done. Perhaps it is a useful check for those contemplating cruising to tropical islands as an antidote to their existing lives.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 06:03   #24

Boat: Skookum 53'

The tropics cannot cure all your ailments, you carry your garbage with you; but it doesn't snow there!
Old 28-02-2012, 06:04   #25

Boat: Tartan 30

You won't know until you go!
Old 28-02-2012, 06:12   #26

Boat: Skookum 53'

Been there, done that, work there 66% of the time, am now looking to live there full time and say good bye to the 10' + snow falls. For those of us who suffer from S.A.D. it makes a huge difference in out look and attitude.
Old 28-02-2012, 07:02   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Might I also suggest "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07   #28

Thank you all on your suggestions.

Started to write today my own "book" on how young man gets into sailing and ends up buying a boat from Holland (signed contract this week). Looking forward on sailing it back to Finland and writing all experinces down from the perspective of a novice sailor. Also looking forward on all spare time to dive into these books and see how you can write about ocean

Ou yea and the boat 36 feet Van De Stadt.
Viilettaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Moitessier's "The Long Way" or "Tamata and the Alliance" are arguably in the same spirit and share a lot of the mindset of "Zen".
I second this one...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 18:11   #30

Boat: Farrier f27
Re: Similar Book as Zen and Motorcycles Maintenance about Sailing ?

Thanks for this discussion, I'd been thinking of reading "Zen and the Art..." for awhile and just downloaded it. I'm on a working ship and need these sorts of books to maintain my sanity.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, sailing