Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 07:02   #1

Simple and safe scub gear

Hi

What is the most simple and safe scub gear to buy, and last too ?

(need a buying list / links, or a good hint to read)

Plus fill station to take along on a boat

BR
Rigo
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:50   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Simple and safe scub gear

Do you have your have your dive card yet? Your questions seem a little simplistic. It can be dangerous down there.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Do you have your have your dive card yet? Your questions seem a little simplistic. It can be dangerous down there.
Yes i got, it just 27 years ago i do spearfishing alot...
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:36   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

There are a lot of variables. If you are just using it for shallow reef, setting the anchor, and catching dinner then just about any simple rig will do. I prefer a steel backplate and wing over a bcd just for simplicity and space. Get a good brand name regulator, apeks, scubapro, aqualung. For filling tanks I just bought one of these.
MCH6/SH Compact Compressor | Coltri Americas It seems to work pretty well.
If you are diving deeper than you could comfortably do an emergency swimming ascent (about 30ft for me) then either have a buddy or carry a small (13-30 cuft) pony bottle. Also be very careful diving off an unattended boat. Strong currents can take you somewhere you can't easily get back from. I also suggest carrying and learning how to use a delayed surface marker buoy (DSMB)
Happy Hunting.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:33   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

For BCs, I prefer wings: Backplate, Harness, Wing for recreational divers | Thinking Diver. You can build your own, including straps in all the right places, or buy one already made.

For regulators, you can find good, used parts on Ebay or other such site. I might buy a complete used set just to get one of the parts because you can easily build your own. You'll want the kind that can be easily serviced so ask your dive store or do some research. About the only thing you can do with used regs when buying sight unseen, is to ask whether it has been serviced recently, whether it is leak free or doesn't free flow when on a tank, and if there's any corrosion. Right now, my primary regulator is an Aqualung first stage and ScubaPro second stage with an ancient Dive Rite SPG. Another couple of hoses go to the BC and dry suit. You can check out regulator reviews in any number of places: Scuba Diving Regulator Reviews - Top of the Line Regulators: Gear Review.

Mask and fins and booties I always try on in the store unless there's a brand I know that fits me well that I can buy online. I get these new because they wear out quickly and there's nothing worse than a leaky mask or fin that's starting to rip somewhere.

I have both steel (DIN) and aluminum tanks (yoke). I don't live on my boat full time, but when I do, I'll likely buy a small compressor and keep one of the steel tanks. Maybe; steel weighs more, but it is neutral when near empty so that means less weight to carry when using a thin wetsuit. The backplate and wings combo will also require less weight. Anyway, you'll have to get advice from others on the compressor.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Rigo,

I bought most of me gear a few years ago so some of my opinions may be outdated.

Regulators, Scubapro have always had a good reputation and I have several 1st and 2nd stage. I also have a couple of Oceanic setups. I usually preferred piston design 1st stages since they usually performed better but a diaphragm design is a little easier to rinse and clean so less susceptible to corrosion in salt water.

I agree with Gamayan on the buoyancy rig. Instead of a standard BC I use a backplate, harness and wings. Simpler, more streamlined (which is good if you're chasing fish) greater flexibility in how you rig and use it and usually less expensive.

Onboard compressor I think the Bauer is generally acknowledged as the best option. They make several small, boat size units but if you go electric you have to have a pretty large generator to power it. Gas may be the way to go. Also even the small units cost a lot and take up a lot of room. Unless you plan to be diving in very remote locations it is much, much cheaper just to take a few tanks and get them filled locally.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:57   #7

Where are you planning to dive (warm warm or cold water)
Be aware some regs are only rated for warm water usually the bottom of the range regs. I personally prefer apeks regs but if I was sailing around the world I would choose scubapro regs for more chance of parts readily available. Apeks and scubapro regs hold their resale value very well (in the UK anyway) so I can't see the point in buying second hand no real saving. Last apeks regs I bought cheapest deal was from a online store in Poland.
+1 for a wing set up but if your priority is simple no hassle then nothing wrong with a traditional bcd, have a look at the A.P buddy commando very well built.
I have had very good reliability and happy with a suunto zoop computer but have never used anything else to compare.
Alexphd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:31   #8

Ah yes, computer. Tables will work, but they're too conservative for anything but a square dive profile and you really need a computer for multi-dive days. We wouldn't want you to get bent! For many years, I have used a Sherwood Profile, which drives me batty trying to get back into the dive log setting, but it does the job for both air and nitrox. I have had my eye on a Suunto Vyper watch for a while now, but can't justify the expense when the Sherwood keeps on working just fine. Dang it.
Old 19-11-2015, 19:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Ah yes, computer. Tables will work, but they're too conservative for anything but a square dive profile and you really need a computer for multi-dive days. We wouldn't want you to get bent! For many years, I have used a Sherwood Profile, which drives me batty trying to get back into the dive log setting, but it does the job for both air and nitrox. I have had my eye on a Suunto Vyper watch for a while now, but can't justify the expense when the Sherwood keeps on working just fine. Dang it.
I got a deal on a Suunto Vyper a few years ago and love it. The dive log function is great.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 21:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I got a deal on a Suunto Vyper a few years ago and love it. The dive log function is great.
Agggh, that's exactly what I didn't need to hear! I must resist buying more dive gear because all my money needs to go into boat projects...

But do let me know if you're planning to sell yours for a real nice price. You'll need a new metric one if you are still heading across the pond
Old 19-11-2015, 22:44   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedivebc View Post
SNIP

For filling tanks I just bought one of these.
MCH6/SH Compact Compressor | Coltri Americas It seems to work pretty well.

SNIP
Did several web searches and none of them listed a price. Anyone know what these things cost.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 00:49   #12

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I think you are asking the wrong forum myself (being a scuba diver first and sailor second).
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 03:36   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alexphd1.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:15   #14

Thank you for the welcome, I have been lurking for a while now but this is the first topic I felt I had enough experience to participate in. I am currently putting together a five year plan but think it needs a lot of work.
What is the difference between the suunto zoop and vyper? A friend has had the vyper air model and has had a lot of problems with the tank transmitter, suunto has replaced it a few times but I think SPG (single pressure gauge) is a far simpler and more reliable set up.
Thank you again for the welcome
Alexphd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:33   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I think you are asking the wrong forum myself (being a scuba diver first and sailor second).

I'd agree, as there is just so much that has been said that has me biting my tongue
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear