Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 13:23   #31

Re: Sounds Strange to me?

What can happen when you 'play the fish,' always good for a laugh:

James Veitch: This is what happens when you reply to spam email | TED Talk | TED.com
Old 06-08-2016, 13:58   #32

Boat: Lots of boats.

Just tell him nobody picks up anything until the money clears your bank. Paypal payments can be reversed. Get the money in hand before releasing the boat. I sold two Norton motorcycles to a guy in Australia. Turned out to be legit, but it started as a game of chicken. He had to trust me and I had to have some trust in him. He ended up using Western Union, but Western Union money orders for thousands of dollars are almost impossible to cash. Had to talk my bank (Capital One) into taking them and putting on a 14 day hold. Seems even money orders are sometimes not backed by real cash. Also won an auction for a rare Honda race bike. He wanted the money wired. Turned out the bike was someone else's. I dodged a bullet on that one.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 14:37   #33

PayPal is linked to email accounts and he already has your email account so tell him to send you the money. Once you have the money in your PayPal account transfer it to your bank account and once it is cleared into your bank account then tell him where he can pick up the boat. Do not give him any more information until you have the money secure in your bank. People pay for all kinds of high priced items on eBay with PayPal, cars are just an example. Paypal is a reputable company. If he is scamming you he will not send the money. Just say ok send me full payment. If he is legit it will take one minute for him to send it via PayPal. If he hems and haws then you know it is a scam and tell him you are reporting him to the FBI.
noylddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 15:15   #34

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Scam, I would report it to PayPal they are very upstanding people and hate scams. This is the first I have heard of someone using PayPal.
Maybe the scam is to get the money in your PayPal acct and the have PayPal refund the money when he is "disappointed" not your boat, just his SCAM.
Makes his dirty money clean, I guess.?
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:06   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Scam. It is written by a West African - probably a Nigerian judging by the grammar. I also can have a good guess as to how it works. KEEP CLEAR.

My name is Eric Robert! I'm in the (U.S Army-E-3 Private First Class) and am not in town for the moment as am currently in base for now. Also we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently because we are having mandatory blackout for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. I want to buy this for my son as a birthday surprise gift and he's not aware of this. So can you assure me i wont be disappointed buying this from you ?
HERE IS MY SECOND EMAIL....FROM HIM.....???

It nice reading back from you I am ready to purchase the vessel , so you can take the add off Site. I'll have my carrier agent come for pick up/storage and sign all necessary documents transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the hauler agent on my behalf after I make payment also i would love to assure you that the vessel wont leave your side until the money is in your account and clears i will be patient with you as am an honest man and a man of my word so once all this is done then we can now both schedule the pickup time and date... so kindly get back to me now with info so i can proceed with the transfer...will be looking forward reading from you...Thanks

NEXT EMAIL....????

I understand your concerns, but I'm deployed as at now and there's no way I can pay you in cash or wire money to you at the moment. Instead, I would use PayPal for payment as I have funds in my PayPal account and my bank account is attached to it hence the reason I opted to pay you through PayPal. I'm honest with you and I expect same in return. If you want to setup PayPal account you will attached your Bank account or your Credit card/Debit card and after PayPal verify it, you can withdraw from it or request money when ever you want to purchase with PayPal, i will only need your email address to make the payment to your account, immediately you will see the notification in your email you use for the registration. PayPal secure their customer, just go to http:// www. paypal. com and get it set up while you kindly give me the email address you used so that i can pay in right away and PayPal will notify you as soon as i made the payment while you proceed with their instruction. I can only feel secured sending my funds via paypal due to there various security measures at ensuring safe and secured transaction between buyer/seller.I will cover the PayPal charges so that your full asking amount will be credited to your Bank account. Looking forward to do business with you. Thanks

WHAT does anybody else think of this deal. Would you do this?, is there anyway he can rip me off here???

NEXT EMAIL. . . Please let me know what you think, thanks readers....??? Here is his last email...>>> Let me know... thanks.

One payment has been made and clear then haulers will be coming for the pick up and it going down to Idaho in Boise Okay[/QUOTE]
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:16   #36

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I don't understand the scam. If he pays by pay-pal before I do anything including providing any information it seems to me that the money is safe. I can verify directly with pay-pal and don't see how he could get the money back. What am I missing? I sold some chain to a guy from England that way. His son came by took some photos, verified length and negotiated price. When he returned after lunch I verified payment and he took the chain. I provided no info and the transaction was smooth. Very different from the usual certified check which bounces after he leaves type of scam.

See the link I posted in post #14.

But you are right to a small degree. If you actually checked your PayPal balance you'd spot the fraud straight away. But read the article in the link carefully because there are a number of methods listed and some of them might actually put money in your PayPal account. Not, I suspect, the sorts of dollar figures involved in a boat purchase, probably the smaller amounts.

People can be very creative, sadly not always in good ways.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-08-2016, 17:49   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Most likely they will provide you the link to PayPal ...........which of course is not the real link. The link they provide will validate the payment etc. Its amazing that people can fall for this but they clearly do. As previously suggested, if you want to continue do as advised; accept payment and transfer the funds to you bank account before releasing the boat. The funds wont really be there, of that I can be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
See the link I posted in post #14.

But you are right to a small degree. If you actually checked your PayPal balance you'd spot the fraud straight away. But read the article in the link carefully because there are a number of methods listed and some of them might actually put money in your PayPal account. Not, I suspect, the sorts of dollar figures involved in a boat purchase, probably the smaller amounts.

People can be very creative, sadly not always in good ways.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 18:40   #38

If you know how to use PayPal your not going to be ripped off, especially when selling. When buying do not check the family and friends box.

I have been using PayPal in my business for close to ten years and never been ripped off, but in saying that I have had numerous times of scammers try, always when buying though. I have also got my funds back twice both over ten thousand dollar transactions, both purchasing and both from the USA. He has already emailed you did you check out the email address the Nigerians and such are easy to spot.

If you have any doubts of how to do this transaction, Get the information from the correct people, Call PayPal and they will guide you through the transaction so you do not get ripped off.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 18:54   #39

In saying that your selling description must be correct with you disclaimer you can also discuss this with PayPal and any other concerns you might have with the purchaser claiming that you are the rip off to regain his funds from you.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 22:05   #40

Boat: Alberg #0

Just tell him you will only accept bitcoin and he'll disappear, no chargebacks so as safe as cash.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:32   #41

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Tell him that someone else from Central Africa just made better offer but will only be using the boat for a few years.

Would he email r.mugabe.oil.assets@gmail.com, as you need someone to look after the $25 million the new bidder is paying, at least until you can make your own tax avoidance arrangement?

Could he please advise a bank account for the new buyer to place the cash, oh, and could he also forward $US 250 by Bank of Nigeria Cheque to your solicitors to assist with deal expenses.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 20:34   #42

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Definitely a scam ... Tried on me twice ... I think PayPal have a scam warning on this one
coffsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:38   #43

Have read before where the name of the fraudulent website is exactly the same as the intended website but for one letter being off. And checking the name for authenticity can be overlooked while excited or lightly distracted.

Similar to the "almost paypal" website emails providing a link to log in and update your account security.

The Krebs on Security website compiles news articles on some the latest thefts & breaches and their relation to the dark web.

One of the most recent involves fraudsters setting up an online Social Security Administration acct. where a member had not previously had one...and the SSA's new security measures.

SSA Not related to selling the OP's sailboat though.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00   #44

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Sounds Strange to me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
A scam, but I am still trying to figure out the angle.

Found this explanation. Seems to cover the bases nicely.

https://blogs.harvard.edu/philg/2013...-does-it-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No doubt it is a scam, but I, too, am having trouble with the angle.

My guess is that the scammer would try to quickly sell the boat for cash and figure out how to force a refund from PayPal (or spoof the payment somehow).

Or maybe it is a money laundering scheme. The drug money gets "cleaned" through purchasing boats and quickly re-selling. Would seem a lot risker than your normal NYC deli/pizzeria/dvd rental/auto shop operation!

I sometimes try to play around with these people to see how far they will take it. For some reason, I give my self up and they stop responding.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:06   #45

Re: Sounds Strange to me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
jeez man. a private in the army old enough to have a son to buy a boat for his birthday and the means to pay for it and you don't see the scam?????
You nailed it perfectly.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote