Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2006, 11:52   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Specifics for powering a TV - 12v

We have purchased a 15" hdtv that runs via a AC to DC cord. The converter reads: "INPUT 100-240V OUTPUT 16V...2.82A.

I have a Xantrex 1000 Sine Wave Inverter that I could run it from, but would prefer to run it off of the house bank. Can any one give me specifics on how to accomplish this?

~ Can I simply cut off the 110 plug and wire it to the DC?
~ Is a DC - DC inverter needed and if so, can you recommend one?
~ etc., etc

Thanks for your help!!
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 12:19   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'm a retired electronic technician who for 30 years fixed TV sets, VCR's video cameras etc. The converter you are describing is basically an AC to DC power supply. The only thing important to you is the output requirements. Simply cutting off the AC cord won't work. Specifically, you need 16volts DC to operate the TV. Some laptop computers have DC to DC power supplies which convert 12 volts DC from a car (or boat) accessory outlet to 18 volts DC output. Practically speaking, at least $$ wise, you might as well use your Xantrex or buy a cheapie non sine wave inverter to run the TV. The power requirements of the TV are only about 45 watts 16v x 2.82 amps so all you would need would be a 100 watt inverter (or larger).

If you MADE SURE to get the polarity right to the TV DC input cord, applying 12 volts DC to the set won't hurt it. The worst that could happen is that it might not start up, or it might briefly run and then shut down unless the battery charger is on, or you're motoring. It would think "low voltage". If it does run, setting the picture level to a lower brighness will conserve battery power.
When connecting the set just make sure that you don't reverse the polarity to the set. The polarity is probably marked at the DC connector.

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 12:50   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I e-mailed SHARP about a Plasma TV I bought that also converts to DC, but to 12v DC. They flat out stated "don't do it". So I haven't.

I running it off the 110v AC inverter and it doesn't seem to pull very much power. Not enough to effect my power source that caused a shortage. And taking the chance of messing up a $500 TV wasn't worth it to me.

I also bought a auto 12v automotive DVD and run it off of it's own battery (good for two DVD's) or plug it in to the house batt. and recharge it while I'm motoring out of port or off the genset.

But if your that confident with electronics, go for it??
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:26   #4

Boat: Custom Steel - 46 m - Valentina
Most manufacturers will tell you that you loose your warranty if you use a different power supply than the one provided by them. That said, you are likely to need a DC-DC converter for two reasons: (1) to step up the voltage from 12V to 16V and (2) to filter transients that are likely to happen in your main DC system.

I have two monitors connected in my boat via a VGA splitter. One (a 20" LCD screen from DELL, with VGA and Composite Video inputs) is in the main cabin's bulkhead, right on top of the dining table. The monitor is connected to the boat's computer (VGA) and to a DVD player (composite). The computer system is setup with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The monitor is powered by a DC-DC converter (90W) I got this in e-bay for about $30 total (shipped to Seychelles), check this link.

The other monitor is a sealed industrial type 15” touch screen that works directly out of 12V. This is located in my cockpit, right on top of the companionway, and is used almost exclusively for navigation (I run maxsea in my computer). Initially it was connected straight to the boat's 12V system, but end up connecting it through an adjustable DC-DC converter with isolated input/output. The hydraulic autopilot pump would generate a transient each time it started and that was getting to my nerves.

This setup has worked well. The kids can watch movies even when I’m using the computer to navigate (with the DVD player). When the computer is not used for navigation, they can play educational computer games or do homework. The wireless keyboard/mouse works great, since we just put them on the dining table even if the computer is in the nave station, and the 20” monitor on 1280 x 1024 resolution shows things big enough to read from the sitting position across the table.

Marco Garcia (S7SY)
SV/ Valentina
mgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote