Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 09:16   #1

St Croix for a couple of days

My wife and I are thinking of sailing to St Croix (from St. Thomas) for a couple of days (leave Sunday am, return Wednesday am). Looking for suggestions for nice peaceful anchorage(s) or moorings to get a bit of a feel for the island. Obviously a short trip, but it's all the time we have this trip

Thanks

Drake
boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 19:40   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: St Croix for a couple of days

Christiansted is nice, a mooring field and you can anchor. Several decent bars and restaurants. Just West of there is Salt River Bay, have not been there but boats do anchor.

You will have no trouble hiring a car to give you a tour of the Island.

Have Fun
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-120576.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:42   #4

Thanks for the replies

I think the plan will be to sail to christiansted on sunday, spend monday touring the island (anybody have suggestions w regard to tour company/taxi), then Tuesday morning sailing up to buck island (gotta figure out how to get a permit), spend some time there, and then spend Tuesday night in Teague bay. Sail back to St thomas Wednesday. Can't wait

Drake
Old 05-11-2019, 08:16   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

I've made this trip several times including a visit in May as well as last week. With the prevailing winds, you'll find it a much easier sail to Christianstead if you depart from Salt Pond Bay, St John.

Here's a link to my May trip report. I suggest just renting a car for 24 hours. It's a very easy island to drive around.

In Christiansted, I recommend simply anchoring in the cove at the east side of harbor just north of St Croix Marina. The anchorage did get a bit rolly with the 6' north swell we had last week.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbt...tml#Post196804
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23   #6

Drake,

I live on STX, onboard for the past two years. Here are some considerations:

1. You can officially get the Buck Island permit at the park service office in the fort in Christiansted (However, I'm confident that not many people actually do). You need to bring along your vessel's paperwork if you choose to take that step.

2. Anchor off the beach on the west end. Anchor fairly close in as further out there is some coral under the sand and you may have difficulty holding. If you want to do the snorkel park, you should dinghy in and pick up a mooring, unless you have a shallow draft.

3. Teague Bay is nice, and the yacht club very hospitable, however, if there is big swell from the NNE, as we have had for the past week, it can be extremely rough. I spent time on a mooring at the Yacht Club last year during the Christmas Winds, and the boat felt like she was underway.

4. Consider Frederiksted. There is amazing snorkeling at the base of the pier downtown, and Sunday afternoons at Rainbow Beach are just about the best on the island.

5. I'm in Salt River Bay, controlling depth int this harbor is 6.5 -7 feet, and requires local knowledge as there are no marks

PM if you have other questions.

Craig
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38   #7

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I was there two years ago. Christiansted is a good anchorage. As I recall they have moorings near Gallows Bay that are virtually free. Their is also a tour of the fort. The first time I was there in the late 70's I felt distinctly unwelcome by the mainly black population but that has somehow changed. Folks now are friendly and courteous. Buck Island was a disappointment; the underwater park is just bleached coral. I was told this was due to a hurricane some years ago. Someone mentioned renting a car. We hired a taxi for 1/2 day and drove around the island, including Fredericksted. It is a large island and the best way to get a feel of it is by car. The sail over and back is great. The cruising guides recommend starting as far easterly as you can, e.g. St. John.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:03   #8

Minor clarification. There are currently no public moorings on St Croix. All moorings are private.
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 17:33   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

Following...never sailed to STX, but thought about it alot. Maybe this season???
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

I have a mooring in Salt River which I'm not currently using. You are welcome to use it if you want to. Navigating in and out of this anchorage is not easy if you have not done it before so you will need to be careful . How much does your boat draw?
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02   #11

Thank you guys all so much for all the info. It’s been awesome. I have a 48 foot cat she drives about 3 1/2 feet.
Old 11-11-2019, 18:17   #12

plan is to get the boat in red hook on saturday, provision, and prob spend the night at xmas cove. Will cruise up the south coast of st john on sunday and maybe spend night in lameshur. Monday go check out "lime out" in coral bay and spend the night in Hurrican hole. Leave for st croix early tuesday. Will prob just stay in Christiansted. Wed rent a car and check out the island. (any suggestions?). Head back to st. thomas thursday (kick around somewhere for two nights and then return boat to red hook sat am

thank everyone for their suggestions ( even a offer for a mooring,-so very nice of you Joyful).

will let you know how it goes

drake
Old 11-11-2019, 19:02   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Take a drive out to Point Udall, the easternmost point in the US, passing by the Very Large Baseline Array radio telescope.

Continue on the south shore towards the airport. Stop at Leatherback Brewery Company to try their excellent beer.

If you want some beach time, continue to West Beach (south of Frederiksted), or continue to Frederiksted with a quick tour Fort Frederik.

Follow the coastal road north up through the hills in the northwest and north shore to Cane Bay. Lunch and drinks at Off The Wall beach bar.

Continue on the north shore road to Salt River (kayak tour opportunities), and then to Christiansted. A little over a 3 hour roundtrip plus stops.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 20:19   #14

Thank you. Like the idea of the excellent beer ;-)