Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic
Had a Baby Taylor but got rid of it
Same for me; the Taylor makes their guitars here in town, and I got one as a gift expecting it to work out great. I know it's not the most expensive guitar in the world, and it's tiny size is its main selling point, but I was really unappy with the sound.

I'll take a look at the Martin composite; I was really wondering what I was going to end up taking.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19   #17

Carbon instruments

One of the reasons sitka spruce tops are better than (example) maple is the modulus of elasticity (E) of the wood; it vibrates better. Carbon fibre has a very high modulus, so should resonate sound well. However, it is only one element of the structure; the matrix (the plastic) will also strongly affect the sound quality. And, like any instrument, individual construction quality will greatly affect the sound produced.

Personally, I find the sound of carbon instruments too bright because the hard surfaces are very reflective (I also hate the current trend of violins toward very bright tones; if they really need the extra volume they should just use a pickup like every other instrument.)

::snooty purist look::

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07   #18

Boat: C&C 27
Amgine,
LOL, I agree with the bright sound problem. There are several sites on the web that have links to the sound of various composits instruments but my old laptop's reproduction is pretty poor. I suspect that serious performing musicians are decades away from using composit instruments in concert settings. I won't know if composits are right for me until I actually sit down and play one. We'll see...

Right now I have two instruments. One a medium quality that I play at home and at the festivals and another that goes to the boat, RV or farm. I'm still looking for something really, really nice.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:44   #19

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I have a Seagull parlor acoustic (perfect boat size) and a nylon string for playing Hawaiian slack key. Also have a fiddle to keep people from anchoring too close. Used to have a banjo but it rusted away.

The strum stick is a great idea! Sounds like an appalachian ukelele. Would be perfect for a travel toy too.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 16:04   #20

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100
Used to have a banjo but it rusted away.
Mike
Earl Scruggs left his antique banjo in his car while he went inside a store. He suddenly remembered he had left the door of the car unlocked and raced outside to check on his banjo. When he got to the car there were two more banjos inside.

a little banjo humor...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 16:10   #21
bru

Whaddya call a Banjo down a manhole at 30 paces?

Perfect Pitch!

A little more banjo humour

And don't even get me started on accordion jokes or I'll be at it 'till next Christmas!!!

Tags
musicians