Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16   #196

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
When I was High School Skinny it was skinny dipping, Now...well I would rather not say.
Old 04-08-2010, 19:32   #197

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler
You could always join the Gulf Coast Nudist Yacht Club!

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 17:26   #198

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
We often swim in our "eco-suits"

That is a thumb, BTW
Old 23-08-2010, 04:07   #199

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
When I was High School Skinny it was skinny dipping, Now...well I would rather not say.
Skinny, fat, tall, short... It doesn't matter. It's all about the release and the freedom and the fun of the whole thing.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04   #200

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty28 View Post
So I gather that no one here gives a rip about skin cancer. A rather cavalier attitude in a world where UV intensity is increasing.
Actually a funny thing, look at the nationwide statistics for skin cancer. Guess which state is the highest? Florida???, California??? No you would be wrong, Vermont, I guess because of all the nude beaches there,(sarcasm). I think the hyped up threat of skin cancer is to promote sales of sunblock. Excessive tanning will damage the skin just like everything else, but our bodies are adapted to moderate exposure. The problem occurs is when skin that has never seen daylight is given 8-10 hours of full sun. Another thing low vitamin D levels is associated with increased cancer risk. Look it up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 22:15   #201

Boat: 1976 Hullmaster Douglas 31
Really, who cares. Most of the time I am at anchor and there is no one around. At the end of the day I grab a bar of soap and over the transom I go. A quick wash up and a few laps of the boat and I am ready for a relaxing evening. There is no one there to see if we are wearing anything or not. On a hot day the less clothes the better. It is not about morality. It is about comfort.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 22:38   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
Really, who cares. Most of the time I am at anchor and there is no one around. At the end of the day I grab a bar of soap and over the transom I go. A quick wash up and a few laps of the boat and I am ready for a relaxing evening. There is no one there to see if we are wearing anything or not. On a hot day the less clothes the better. It is not about morality. It is about comfort.
WOT ! No Pictures ??
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 23:04   #203

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I think the hyped up threat of skin cancer is to promote sales of sunblock. Excessive tanning will damage the skin just like everything else, but our bodies are adapted to moderate exposure. The problem occurs is when skin that has never seen daylight is given 8-10 hours of full sun. Another thing low vitamin D levels is associated with increased cancer risk. Look it up.
Captn_bill, methinks you have never had a friend or loved one die of melanoma. It is not a sight one treasures, and one has a looooong time to map its path. In my wife's case it took 9 long years.
And she wasn't even a sun worshiper, just very fair skinned, living here in Australia. How I wish she had used sunblock in her youth!!

Rob.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 23:14   #204
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Skinny, fat, tall, short... It doesn't matter. It's all about the release .
Hells bells, I can very much guarrantee you would not want to be around should I release anything.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 09:42   #205

Boat: 1976 Hullmaster Douglas 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
WOT ! No Pictures ??
You really don't don't want to see this boy in the buff. You may be scarred for life.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 15:14   #206
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I was in an a funky old marina in a backwater on the Chesapeake, the metal water pipes running out the dock were exposed to the sunlight and a guy that was on a boat out near the end of the dock had figured out that by mid afternoon the water had heated up enough so he could take a shower on the finger pier next to his boat...of course this country is too stuck up for that to happen now adays.
Old 15-01-2011, 15:20   #207

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Captn_bill, methinks you have never had a friend or loved one die of melanoma. It is not a sight one treasures, and one has a looooong time to map its path. In my wife's case it took 9 long years.
And she wasn't even a sun worshiper, just very fair skinned, living here in Australia. How I wish she had used sunblock in her youth!!

Rob.
I am sorry about your wife Rob I to have had a close relative die from melonoma. But recent studies are leaning more to the Captn's statement above.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:32   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I am sorry about your wife Rob I to have had a close relative die from melonoma. But recent studies are leaning more to the Captn's statement above.
Are you referring to the recent press reports that those using sunblock may be at more risk? Whilst sunblock may block UVA and UVB, not all creams are 'sunblock'. Those who are 'sunblocked' and beleiving that they are safe because of it are unwittingly causing themselves problems whereas those with no protection and some common sense stay out of the sun or only expose themselves for a short time.

Then there are the issues of chemical breakdown within the creams themselves as UV acts on them.

Wikipedia has a couple of articles, but here's what seems to be the main one

Sunscreen controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:43   #209
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well I'm 62, blue eyes, fair skin and freckles and I've battered my skin in the sun all my life... only things I've used are Ambre Solaire F2, Coconut or Olive oil....
So I reckon its a crap shoot... either ones gene's are susceptible to Cancers or they're not... though I do reckon diet helps fight these things as well...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:17   #210
cruiser

i have a history of BASIL Cell carcinoma... I have had 15 sites removed already.. moving to the sun belt and hanging out in the sun prolly isnt the best idea, but, it is what i will be doing...

i didnt use spf anything when i was younger and living in Hawaii.. I am fair skinned but darken up a ton when exposed for a short period... I plan on using spf something but, wont be able to get the back... hehehe ... partners are good for something i guess...

but, I dont fear whatever happens... it is what it will be... cancer, shark, irs... it dont matter
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail