Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 13:26   #106
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am Normal, and my first initials are A.B. as in abnormal
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 13:32   #107
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
I rest my case!
Perfectly adapted to sailing A'natural.
Old 24-09-2008, 17:13   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Young Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I am Normal, and my first initials are A.B. as in abnormal
"Where did you get this brain?"
"From the laboratory."
"Who's brain IS it?"
"Abby someone. Yes, that's it. Abby Normal."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:25   #109

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Shu, you've hit the nail on the head pal, who is normal? We who love the ocean or those who want land under their feet ?Do they want to control us? You bet they do , can't have you going off doing doing what you want,when you want it and how you do it, unless you pay us for the privilege. I guess we're the small %, but we know we're right.( no doubts at all ) After whats going on in the world today I think more and more want to bail out. It doesn't take too long to forget once we get out there with a bit of wind and a good ship under us, leave our inhibitions behind and just enjoy life whatever path you take.Should have been a builder.( KISS- keep it simple keep it sweet ) natureboy.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:29   #110

Perfectly normal all around. Should have been a builder. Natureboy
Old 25-09-2008, 14:57   #111
Shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanreg@smartc View Post
Perfectly normal all around. Should have been a builder. Natureboy
Nature and I have done a lot of building, but that's something for another thread.
Yes, I agree about wanting to bail out on current events.
Maybe we should all find our common island and start over (Pitcarin style). I know I'll be looking for a different place soon. Anybody know Peter Pan?
Old 25-09-2008, 16:38   #112

Shu, Pitcairn sounds great, and I guess there's many places like that, but they've just about all been tried. one way or the other.I think a good boat is what we want so if we get pissed off with that place we move on. It's our peculiar nature. Tahiti was tops for Bligh's crew but they stuffed it up.I was there last year but I wasn't as desperate as they were.I did like their dances! Most of the South Pacific Is are laid back and super friendly, only the french ones expensive. Peter pan I don't know but he'd make a good crewman on a fairy boat. Confucious says Master Builder has bigger elections. I should've been one.
Old 25-09-2008, 17:29   #113

Boat: in between
pitcairn? Read Dea Birkett's great book Serpent in Paradise or just Google for news about Pitcairn. Not a favorable harbor in many ways.
Old 26-09-2008, 10:52   #114
Shu

I believe that's what a lot of us with boats are about. When you no longer like this place, move on. You can always come back to visit again.
Constant change prevents one from becoming stagnant. It frees you from the drone of a boring everyday existance.
Sailing challanges the mind, the senses, and the body. One must remain ever vigilant to the changing conditions, both within as well as without. It is amazing how we can get by with so little yet live such a wonderful lifestyle. The gypsies of the world are freed, bringing us ever closer to who we really are rather than what society wishes us to be.
To be free to discover that which needs to be.
Old 26-09-2008, 22:13   #115

Shu, You have a lot of insight into life. Been there done that I guess. Possesions are the bane of our society, we love to get them, spend all our lives working to have them or keep up with them. I swear it doesn't make us any happier this wanting forever. Stuff it! What I ask is what do you feel is really necessary for a happy life? You have a good boat, a desire to see other places and people, and someone to share that with, a good love life? What else is necessary. Not much and yet I see so many in these musings that are planning to go 5yrs time 10 yrs time, when they've got this or that, or they must have a 50/55 fter or bigger. they should be going now.maybe in a 35/40fter. So many of my friends have gone for ever, no chance of ever going, their dream dying with them after a life of hard work, and their widows are satisfying their cravings with someone else. Still, I don't want my anchorages too crowded so maybe its best that they stay at home while I do my skinny dipping in peace and quiet. I should have been a builder! natureboy.
Old 27-09-2008, 00:24   #116

Goshea, I suspect Pitcairn is not a yachties answer to paradise! Apart from a shocking ( put that as sh*t )anchorage, we would have the same problems as we have under a different name. sure stay for a week(?) meet the people, but I reckon the Marquesas would be better, very tolerant. Not so missionary.I want to have a local beer, a laugh, and swim as we say in this forum, a love life. and an anchorage that lets you sleep at night. Maybe Tonga? Or
Old 27-09-2008, 03:57   #117

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Lolanreg, RE Chesapeake It is a great cruising area. Hundreds of fine anchorages and great history. Small towns, Big cities, or secluded anchorages. 1500mi to Tortola, and we have a nice 1000mi inside passage to Florida and the near Bahamas. May to October is warm to Hot, We often leave for the southern Lats in October, Nov.

Skinny dipping works for me June to Oct with regard to water temp. Some areas have better water quality. While sailing Nude is a "Breeze" I also like heading out on a nice cool breeze with a good 'Jumper".

Cheers!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 08:09   #118
Shu

Pitcarin or Tonga, Marquesas or Chesapeake, it makes no difference. We are searching the horizon for a different truth. It may be Thoreau's Winter Walk where it is found, but we are all on a quest, and it is personal. We thrive for challange, we search for change. We were never ment to live the cookie cutter life that is forced upon us by society.
We the sailors search for an inner truth in the outlying places. How many hours spent in introspection on the lonely watch between the dark and the dawn. We struggle with the life before us, to earn to gain, yet the more we gain the less we have, and once we relinquish it all to live a nearly monastic life then we begin to understand the fallacy of a life lived normally.
I would gladly suffer the maddened death of Ahab for that moment of freedom the sea gives us from the corporate worn heart disease of a life in cattle chute madness.
Do I live to skinney dip or do I skinney dip to live, it matters not as long as I can taste the ever elusive moment of freedom that is found by doing it my way!
Old 27-09-2008, 08:17   #119
Shu

Yes lolnreg. I agree. Go when you can, while you can. I was surpprised at how many said "I thought you were kidding when you said you were going to buy a boat and leave. You know we all have our stupid retirement dreams". I come from a life where retirement is the ultimate goal for most. Few dare to dream beyond the recliner and TV sports.
How sad for them!
Old 29-09-2008, 00:20   #120

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Sailing in the nude? Brings a new meaning to Swing Keel or the term "Hoist the Main".
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail