Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 12:20   #16

Boat: Farrier f27
Re: Thoughts on buying used SCUBA gear

I bought a ScubaPro mk 25/s600 regulator with a Suunto Cobra computer for less than half retail price. Then had it checked out at a service center.

It's nice to support the local dive shop and they count on selling new divers $2,000 worth of gear but as a consumer it's hard to justify that kind of expense when like many, my diving has gone in cycles of being active and inactive for the past 40 yrs. My bc basically disintegrated while in storage and I didn't feel like my old Aqualung Conshelf regulator was worth having a complete service performed on it.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 15:21   #17

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

I bought used Scubapro gear from a dive operator at our home port. They still service my gear. If you are not living aboard and diving frequently then, as Randy said, you bc will disintegrate before you've used it very many times. I have my own gear and still rent gear when I go out with a dive operator; it's nice to plug and go. I dive off the boat twice a month with my own gear. Diving off of a monohull is work.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 20:01   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the BCD, dive computer, and regulator used? Are there certain pieces one would buy used and others one would never buy used?

All of my dives are with regs, BC, and tanks I bought used. Two of my kids dive too and their gear was all used. I service the regs and BCs myself and work with a couple of places that hydro and VIP the tanks. My regs were all made in the 70s and 80s. I service them myself and replace hoses, mouthpieces, and SPGs.

I've had fun with it and saved some money, and know my gear better than most people know their gear. We've started replacing some of the items. I dive a BP/W configuration and my kids have both switched to that.

There are some very cost effective BP/W BCs, and regulators, at places like Dive Gear Express and Piranha Dive Manufacturing that are, I think, a better deal than much of the used gear on the market.

Computers and rubber goods (wetsuits, fins, and masks) have a short useful life and so I buy those new. Freediving wetsuits are generally cheaper and work just as well though they are more time consuming to don and doff. I get a lot of this sort of stuff at Leisurepro and Freedivestore.com.

I have 24 tanks, all of them steel, and none of them bought new. Most LP72, HP100, and HP120, with a few smaller. All for half the price of new even including hydro etc.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:51   #19

Boat: KP 46

A few years ago I was involved with a very nice lady who was a scuba instructor (actually got my mixed gas cert from her). She bought me a complete set of very good gear (US divers BC, SUUNTO dive computer, I forget the reg and octopus mfg) All in a nice dive bag. I used it about half a dozen times but not that into scuba (or the lady) any more. It is all very good gear but I am thinking of selling it. PM me if you are interested and I will get it out and take some photos.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:03   #20

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
I am brand new to SCUBA diving, I am taking lessons right now. I purchased a mask, snorkel, and fins from my local dive shop where I am taking classes. I am borrowing the rest for the moment from the dive shop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the BCD, dive computer, and regulator used? Are there certain pieces one would buy used and others one would never buy used?

It looks like the savings is significant. The dive shop is says there is still $2500 worth of equipment to buy. I have seen complete sets on FB Marketplace for $1000 or less.

My hang up on the new investment is I don't think I will be using the equipment very often for the next few years.
I'd buy used SCUBA gear in a heartbeat. The bottles are good pretty much forever, I guess if there was a concern it would be the regulator?
Of course when I was skydiving, I bought my jump gear used, too.
What could possibly go wrong?
We buy pretty much everything used, except socks and underwear.
Keeps us sailing without having to worry so much about finding a job...
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:15   #21

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have purchased used before with good and bad results.

I recommend purchasing Sherwood as mentioned before this post.

Anything I have purchased went straight to service shop before use.

Many parts are not available anymore for several manufactures like Mares as well as others.
Steel tanks seem to be OK with inspections (I have a tank from the 60's). As long as steel tanks have not be filled with wet air, they are fine. They can rust. The shop can clean the rust out. There were several years of Aluminum tanks that can't be inspected. It seems the cutoff year is 1987 or around that year.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:15   #22

Boat: Islander 32

I was a scuba instructor for 35 years. Worked all over the world. I bought a scubapro mark 5 waaayyy back when. Im still using it. I worked in Cayman from 1980-85. We usually did 3 dives a day, 6 days, plus night dives. I never rinsed it, never serviced it. Damn thing worked all through that and still does although i do service it now and again. Only takes about 20 min. Low pres seat in second stage and high pres seat and a couple of o rings in the first stage. Life of hoses can vary.

Bc’s lasted about a year. Rot mostly. Velcro on tank band.

Like several said, if you are an ocassional diver, just rent.

Happy diving. Im 74 and just a recreational diver now.
oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:18   #23

Boat: Cal-40

Your dive gear is your life support system when in use. Don’t cut corners here. Get a good fitting suit, proper fitting mask, nothing wrong with a quality used regulator but have it checked and serviced before you use it by a reputable dive shop. Tanks need to be inspected each year and hydro tested each 5. Don’t buy tanks yet. As for a BCD I would try (rental) several styles before you buy your own. I assume in your lessons you used the shops rental BCD and this was most likely a vest type inflation. I like back inflation style as do most experienced divers. You should try one of these before you invest in a BCD, I think you might like this better then the best style. Your dive instructor should for now be your best guide for gear purchases. I would however invest in a good new or lightly used dive computer. Get a computer that will allow you to dive Nitrox gas. I know for now your not doing this but I think you might see it’s advantages in future training and it’s nice if your computer has this capability.
Stay with your training and make Rescue Diver your goal. Diving is a wonderful sport, it opens up new worlds. My wife and I are members in a local scuba club and this is a way to connect with new scuba friends and get lots of affordable diving. We are happy to have you in our scuba family
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:22   #24

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Learned the Basics, What next ?

Okay. 1st off I'm a retired NAUI, PADI, CMAS instructor with over 40 years and 9600 dives and thousands of students.

IMHO, buying used is fine. It's how I started and a lot of us started this way. 1st regulator and 2 tanks I bought were used. Tanks had air and current VIP inspection stickers, good to go. Regulator hooked up to tank worked. Never had a problem with that old regulator.

BCD. I have an old Scubapro, like 20 years old that is in near perfect condition. No, they don't rot out after a couple of years. They will rot out if they are not taken care of which means rinsed inside and out after a day of diving. I recently bought another used tank, regulator and BCD from a friend to have as spare. All in perfect working condition. It's fairly easy to tell if it is good or not. Look at it. It's not rocket science. Does it look work? Fraying edges? Leaking air? Rusty, corroded? If not and it all works then you're probably good to go. I'd pull the 2nd stage apart (it's easy and if you beach dive you need to learn this) and check the rubber pieces inside. Soft, supple and no damage? Excellent. 1st stage regulator. Extremely rare to have any issue with those.

Last point on aluminum tanks. There is an issue with some tanks made with a certain alloy. You definitely want to check this out. See the article here.
https://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/d...ank200008.html
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:58   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Dive shops often sell their rentals cheap and serviced. I've bought some used gear only to find parts are unavailable. Test it out on land before buying, check for leaks, cracks, etc. BTW, a dive computer is an absolute must IMHO.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 11:25   #26

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I ran a dive boat in the Keys for several years. With the exception of mask, fins, snorkel and maybe wet suit, I always recommended that customers rent their gear unless they're diving regularly. Regulators need to be inspected, cleaned and tuned at least yearly. Ditto for BC's. Bottles need an annual visual and a hydro every 5 years. The expense of maintaining your own equipment for occasional use is hard to justify... and you do not want to skip or skimp on maintenance! Couple that with the hassle of lugging your BC, Regulator, octopus, computer, etc. (along with mask, fins and snorkel) to different dive destinations and it just doesn't seem worth the effort. Most dive shops are fairly rigorous in maintaining their equipment, not only for customer safety and the attendant bad PR if gear isn't in top shape (think internet reviews), but also due to liability concerns, if nothing else. Remember, (at least in the US) if there is a dive related injury requiring an ambulance (heart attack, stroke, allergic reaction to venomous sting, etc.), or if there's a diving fatality, law enforcement will seize the divers equipment and have it independently inspected for any problems. Dive shops know this so they're careful that rental equipment can't be blamed.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:06   #27

Boat: Leopard 45

Unless you plan on diving often where you live. Pass on the tank and rent them where you travel. It will end up costing more in extra air fair to transport them to (say the med or Caribbean) than it would to rent them on location. Then there's also the pain of transporting them. Having your own regulator and BC makes sense and buying used makes cents.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:30   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I used to teach SCUBA as a YMCA instructor through a university in California. We taught our students how to look for good deals. Everything I owned was used except my wetsuit and mask. Tanks are easy to hydro if you take them to a place that refills fire extingushiers $20 each.

The dive shops are in the business of selling gear the lessons are a loser for them but it beings in more customers. To them all used gear is dangerous, ya for their profits.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:40   #29

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
I am brand new to SCUBA diving, I am taking lessons right now. I purchased a mask, snorkel, and fins from my local dive shop where I am taking classes. I am borrowing the rest for the moment from the dive shop.

It looks like the savings is significant. The dive shop is says there is still $2500 worth of equipment to buy. I have seen complete sets on FB Marketplace for $1000 or less.

My hang up on the new investment is I don't think I will be using the equipment very often for the next few years.
I'm a deep technical, cave, trimix diver and a certified gas blender.

There's no reason whatsoever not to buy properly maintained used equipment. Some of the equipment I hang my life on I bought used off Craigslist (at 325' down, or 3,000' back in a cave you can't just bolt for the surface).

The question is, do you have the skill/knowledge to determine if a regulator is in good shape or is well maintained? Possibly not, so either get the used gear inspected/cleaned/lubed/o-rings replaced by a shop or buy new.

Just remember the dive store is in the business of selling new gear. Also consider the blingy stuff they want to sell you is probably NOT that great. Those lime green super-go-fast split fins......meh its a gimmick. That fancy vest style BC? Doesn't put you in a good diving position and is uncomfortable and bulky.

Look at Hogarthian and or Tech Rec regs which you can build yourself. You don't need fancy padded anything, there's no weight on you when submerged. A good webbing harness and a steel or aluminium backplate and a 30lb or so wing is much cheaper and MUCH better alternative. Some simple analog pressure gauges and a reasonable wrist mounted dive comp are perfect. Giant fancy do everything consoles or wireless pressure integrated computers - again just a dive store making money and zero value to you.

Are you going to do hand-to-hand combat with jaws? Then you don't need a 12" pig sticker, get a cheap serrated line cutter or hook knife and put it where you can reach it on your belt webbing (I use an old stainless steak knife with the tip snapped off).

For a light, you want something small and narrow beamed that straps to the back of your wrist with the battery out of the way on your belt.

Stay away from anything that is neon colored or uses some gimmick to sell.

Look at simple technical diving rigs and emulate not only the basic components, but their placement as well. Standardizing where things are on your rig will help if other people have to rescue you.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:41   #30

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
I’m an avid cave diver and buy a lot of (used & overstock) equipment here..

northeastscubasupply.com
I've had REALLY bad experience with John at North East Scuba.

I recommend checking the web for reviews.

I purchased most of a tech rig for my gf last year and it took literally MONTHS to get supposedly "in stock" gear.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Cuba, gear, scuba