Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 16:21   #31

Boat: Block Island 40
Re: Thoughts on buying used SCUBA gear

Sent you a p/m.
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 17:54   #32

Boat: Freedom 38

If you don't know the quality of the different kit, then go to the dive store where you plan to fill tanks. Ask them for the brands they service and which models are good to look for on the used market. This will help you avoid buying junk or a regulator that you can't get serviced.

As to tanks, I bought 2 used aluminum tanks about 8 years back for $50. Gave one to a friend and kept the other for cleaning my boats. Ugly as sin and about 50 years old but no problem with passing hydros. Bought 2 (newer and better) steel high pressure tanks from an ad on a local dive forum. Someone who was upgrading their gear. Just Google the brand to make sure it's not a type that has had "issues" in the past. If it's in current hydro, chances are it'll still be good for another 5 years.

Buy any old BCD that fits and is comfortable. The most you have to do with these is replace the inflator assembly and inflate the bladder to see if it holds air for 24 hours. Nice to have two straps for the tanks rather than a single and I prefer the "wings" style rather than jacket style for better trim. But not really important till you become more competent in the water.

Let us know what you find!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 18:28   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If you buy a used regulator, be sure it is a popular model so you can easily get it serviced. I would prefer a new reg, though. Everything else, used of decent quality is probably okay. Inspect carefully for cracking and stuff.

Beware of tanks that are too old for hydrotesting.
Old 16-10-2020, 18:43   #34

Rental gear can be full of mold if you are in a area that is not highly (self) regulated. Carry your own regulator
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 04:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
If you buy a used regulator, be sure it is a popular model so you can easily get it serviced. I would prefer a new reg, though. Everything else, used of decent quality is probably okay. Inspect carefully for cracking and stuff.

Great advise here. A lot of places will not service off brand kit. Divers Direct sell their own brand of gear. It’s cheap and local shops will not touch them. There are tons of people out there who use the gear a few times and then sell it online.

Renting the rest a good move.

1000% don’t buy a tank unless you are diving more then ten times a year. They are a pain to store and need to be inspected annually. You’ll spend about the same renting.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:25   #36

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

My gear is 20 years old, haven’t used it in ten years since I decided I enjoy snorkeling far more

The Zeagle BCD is in great shape. When I thought I was going to dive Chuuk five years ago I pulled out all the stuff. The octopus crumbled in my hand. The computer is of course 20 years old technology.

Used BCD is OK, so long as all rubber is in good shape. Anything that sits on top of the tank I’d buy new or very near new.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:28   #37

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

Wasn't aware that thanks originally manufactured as SCUBA tanks could be "too old for hydrotesting". If they are tested, and fail, then yes, they are condemned, and taken out of service. But "too old for testing", Do you have a reference that you can point me to? I try hard to not learn anything new, but sometimes new information just kind of "slips in"! Thanks.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:35   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I've had REALLY bad experience with John at North East Scuba.

I recommend checking the web for reviews.

I purchased most of a tech rig for my gf last year and it took literally MONTHS to get supposedly "in stock" gear.
Never had any issues with him or his shop..but again I live about 20 mins away and personally visit and purchase on site.. I have to admit it truly is a shop like no other with inventory in large number...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:09   #39

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

There are NO tanks too old for testing!!! I have tested cylinders dated 1908 and they passed. What you will find in the SCUBA industry is that cylinders manufactured form 6351 aluminium are prone to sustained load cracking and will not be filled. (cyls by all manufacturers except Catalina prior to 1990) The DOT thinks otherwise. However, we won't test them as my experience doesn't correspond to Luxfer's or the DOT's statements as to crack propagation versus time.
SLC 1st pic
Old 17-10-2020, 06:12   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
There are NO tanks too old for testing!!! I have tested cylinders dated 1908 and they passed. What you will find in the SCUBA industry is that cylinders manufactured form 6351 aluminium are prone to sustained load cracking and will not be filled. The DOT thinks otherwise. However, we won't test them as my experience doesn't correspond to Luxfer's or the DOT's statements as to crack propagation versus time.
SLC 1st pic
Got an old Scubapro steel 72 of the early 70’s vintage that still passes hydro..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:40   #41

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I have a Voit steel 72 tank from the 1950's which is still good to go. I occasionally use it for deco gas in a side mount harness.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 07:05   #42
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
I am brand new to SCUBA diving, I am taking lessons right now. I purchased a mask, snorkel, and fins from my local dive shop where I am taking classes. I am borrowing the rest for the moment from the dive shop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the BCD, dive computer, and regulator used? Are there certain pieces one would buy used and others one would never buy used?

It looks like the savings is significant. The dive shop is says there is still $2500 worth of equipment to buy. I have seen complete sets on FB Marketplace for $1000 or less.

My hang up on the new investment is I don't think I will be using the equipment very often for the next few years.
I wish you were in Florida. I'm selling 4 alu 80cf tanks, 4 bcd's, and two regulators in December. But the prices your dive shop have quoted are way to high. You don't need to start with the pro series on every single item.

In any case, by used. The stuff is a football item. Except maybe the regulator. Make sure those have been serviced and still can be serviced.
Old 17-10-2020, 08:15   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
There are NO tanks too old for testing!!! I have tested cylinders dated 1908 and they passed. What you will find in the SCUBA industry is that cylinders manufactured form 6351 aluminium are prone to sustained load cracking and will not be filled. (cyls by all manufacturers except Catalina prior to 1990) The DOT thinks otherwise. However, we won't test them as my experience doesn't correspond to Luxfer's or the DOT's statements as to crack propagation versus time.
SLC 1st pic
I was given a tank by a friend and I took it in to a local dive shop for inspection and filling. They said it was too old and that they could not hydrotest it. That's all I know about it so I can't quote regs. I already had two nearly new aluminum 80's so no biggie.
Old 17-10-2020, 09:20   #44

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
I am brand new to SCUBA diving, I am taking lessons right now. I purchased a mask, snorkel, and fins from my local dive shop where I am taking classes. I am borrowing the rest for the moment from the dive shop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the BCD, dive computer, and regulator used? Are there certain pieces one would buy used and others one would never buy used?

It looks like the savings is significant. The dive shop is says there is still $2500 worth of equipment to buy. I have seen complete sets on FB Marketplace for $1000 or less.

My hang up on the new investment is I don't think I will be using the equipment very often for the next few years.
As noted by other posters used gear can be completely safe and reliable. However you should know what to look for in terms of worn out rubber and silicone parts, cheap less durable brands, obsolete gear for which there are no replacement parts (especially important with used regulators), tanks out of hydro or with non-current VIPs or with defective valves or leaky 'o' rings, etc. Because of this and other concerns, I would highly recommend that you not invest in any used gear at this stage of your diving adventure. Especially as you don't expect to use it for a while. I would suggest instead that you invest in a good, new 5mm wetsuit, long sleeve shorty top with farmer john bottoms, a 3mm sleeveless vest and a 5mm hood. The long sleeve shorty and farmer johns can be worn separately for warm water diving and snorkeling, combined to provide extra warmth in cooler water, adding the vest and hood if the water is colder or your exposure time is prolonged. This is the combination I have used for decades and it meets my needs in almost any diving situation. If you have the basics: mask, fins, snorkel, gloves, weight belt and wetsuit you are set to go for the first stages of your adventure. You can easily rent B/C, reg, computer and tanks, can travel lighter, invest less and maintain less. Once you have experienced different models and brands of gear, know what features you like and dislike and have established that you like the sport and will continue diving then you can start completing your gear set-up.

Good luck, have fun, dive safe.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:06   #45

Boat: Custom Catamaran

PADI MSD / Rescue Diver here - freshwater predominantly.

I bought new everything to start with - mask, fins, regs, tank, drysuit, BCD, knife - the lot. Used it for a few years, then found I'd like to get more technical so went out looking for a good second hand twinset. Bought new regs for it though.

For me, anything perishable should alway be new (mask, regs, drysuit, wing) but anything solid (fins, knife, tanks) is fine second-hand, as it's usually quite obvious if something's wrong with it.

Treat it like your boat - would you buy used rigging (perishable) from someone? Probably not. How about a used bimini (perishable)? Again, not likely. A stainless boarding ladder though? Yep that'll be fine.

Just my 2p.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Cuba, gear, scuba