Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 07:09   #46

Re: Thoughts on buying used SCUBA gear

There is no problem buying used scuba gear as long as you are aware that it is used and may have aged or deteriorated some.

I have purchased and used pre-owned equipment successfully for years. Yes test the BCD while you are looking at it as well as the regulator if they have a tank that you can use. If not, be sure to blow up thee BCD using the manual option to see if it holds air. If you purchase the reg., be sure to have it serviced prior to using it as O rings tend to wear and age. Computers can also be purchased used, but you may want to have it serviced as well.

Be safe and enjoy. I will probably be looking for some equipment soon as well. Now that winter is coming, hopefully some folks may decide they no longer want to dive.
jecaperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 07:12   #47

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

I finally had to replace my scubapro regulator that I bought 30 years ago!

I replaced it with another new Scubapro obviously.

In addition, I wanted to buy a separate regulator to use with a hooka rig to clean and service my boat while in the water. I went to a dive shop and bought a complete regulator with octopus and gauges that were used in the training classes and rental program for $120. Everything was fully serviced and in great working order. Now I have a spare set of gauges and first stage. I also have an octopus to go with my new Scubapro rig and a separate hooka rig I keep on my boat all the time.

There is nothing wrong with buying used.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:08   #48

Boat: Catalina 425

I currently have 2 OMS backplates and manifolds each with double 66 steel tanks. We don't use then any more and would sell each cheaply. They are currently out of both hydro and vip. Anyone interested please PM me.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:25   #49

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Wasn't aware that thanks originally manufactured as SCUBA tanks could be "too old for hydrotesting". If they are tested, and fail, then yes, they are condemned, and taken out of service. But "too old for testing", Do you have a reference that you can point me to? I try hard to not learn anything new, but sometimes new information just kind of "slips in"! Thanks.
some older steel tanks can only be filled to (from memory) 2,400 psi. I know one of my dive buddies ditched a couple of tanks because of that. Now, these tanks date from like the old J valve days.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:29   #50

Boat: Boatless (atm)

Your best bet will be to rent kit from dive shops until you reach a point where you're doing enough regular diving to justify the investment. That way you'll get to try out a whole bunch of different brands, find out what you like/don't like and then when you buy you'll be properly informed and making the best choice for you.

As others have said, then, buy the 'best' you can afford - and remember, expensive rarely equals 'best'.
BeerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:54   #51

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

Here is my take as a recreational diver (rescue cert) that dives both cold and warm waters.

1- A lot of today's regulators use the same parts on the inside. Not talking about regs for cold water or tech applications but your everyday recreational diving. You pay extra for the bling on the outside.
2- I found that it is cheaper to buy a low cost regulator every few years instead of getting it overhauled. Again, all name brand regulators even the cheapest are safe.
3- At minimum in addition to the mask/fins/wetsuit stuff, buy a dive computer. You don't need anything fancy although I will tell you the Shearwater stuff is amazing!
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:42   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A lot of people take up diving....buy all the best gear....dive once...and never dive again....all good second hand stuff...but you need to get everything checked out....everything....tank....gauges....bc....reg.. ..mask....suit.....weights and belt....etc...as it may have all been sitting in someone's garage for who knows how long. A lot of stuff can go wrong here, hoses can leak, get cut, fittings break, come lose, etc, ad infinitum. A dive shop will take everything apart, clean it, service it, etc...

Tanks come in steel, alum and in different sizes...these need to certified on a regular basis to get filled...visual and hydrostatic...
don't get cheap here.....nothing wrong with second hand stuff but have a dive pro check and test it all out.

There are many makes and brands of dive gear...before you buy, and plunk down any $$$, ask a dive shop, if the stuff is quality or not.

Don't dive alone....don't break this # 1 rule !!! Your dive buddy is as important as your dive gear.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 11:41   #53

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

I would consider things that could cause potentially catastrophic events, such as 1) an inflator valve getting stuck and having your bcd inflate causing an uncontrolled accent 2) freeflowing regulator (yes, I know it's part of PADI certification, but as a divemaster of over 25 years, I will tell you that it will generally cause panic when it occurs unexpectedly 3) burst regulator hose. There have been numerous reports of this occurring, particularly with the chinese hoses. Relative to tanks, this one's pretty easy. Reputative dive shops will require any tank being filled to have had a visual inspection within the year and hydro-tested within five years. O-rings are easy to check and replace. Bottomline-if buying used I would have reg and bcd serviced or proof of service in the preceding year before using.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:18   #54

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Don't dive alone....don't break this # 1 rule !!! Your dive buddy is as important as your dive gear.
Says who? There is a school of thought in the tek community that having a buddy is a significant risk factor.

I frequently dive alone as it let's me have single minded focus on my photography. Cheers!!

Many divers I know occasionally dive alone. It's not that big of deal.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:24   #55

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

The thing with Scubapro regs is their top of the line regulator was very susceptible to free flows in cold water. Be aware of this deficiency when purchasing a used one.

True story: A Scubapro reg freeflowed on a wreck in 150 ft of cold water (38 deg F) and emptied a 120 fresh tank in about 1.5 minutes. Froze the divers lips and mouth. Took him 4 weeks to recover. His tank was bone dry when we hit the line at 90 ft.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:25   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

no newbie should dive alone....period !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:27   #57

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
some older steel tanks can only be filled to (from memory) 2,400 psi. I know one of my dive buddies ditched a couple of tanks because of that. Now, these tanks date from like the old J valve days.

The older steel 71.2 cubic foot tanks (commonly called "72's") were rated for 2250 psi . . . but if the latest hydro date stamp said "2250+" they could be overfilled by 10%, or to 2475 psi. The theory is that if you get a "fast fill" to 2475 psi, by the time thank tank cools to ambient air temp, it should be at about 2250 psi, and hold 71.2 cubic feet of air. Unfortunately many shops don't know this, even though they are supposed to be professional shops . . . . The moral of this story is that just because they have a Dive Shop sign out front, don't assume they know that they are doing . . . Same goes for maintenance. Talk to the guy doing regulator inspections and repairs. If he doesn't appear to know what he's talking about, find another dive shop . . .

The psi AND the interior volume of the SCUBA tank defines how many cubic feet the tank holds. The old steel tanks hold 71.2 cubic feet. They are quite a bit smaller than the Aluminum 80 cubic foot tanks. The Aluminum tanks have wall thicknesses much greater than the steel tanks.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:40   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Your dive shop probably sells reconditioned equipment.

Try Leisure Pro on line. Big deals this time of year new and used.

Make sure the tank is not obsolete. Some older tanks cannot be certified or filled.

Have your dive shop give the stuff a close look, inspection.

Wolf’s Marine in Benton Harbor, Michigan. New and used.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 14:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Says who? There is a school of thought in the tek community that having a buddy is a significant risk factor.

I frequently dive alone as it let's me have single minded focus on my photography. Cheers!!

Many divers I know occasionally dive alone. It's not that big of deal.
True, but tech divers can "self rescue" (or are beyond rescue).

Rec divers don't carry min 2 independent 1st stages, 2nd stages, 3 lights, 2-3 cutting instruments, cut backup tables, or carry a spare mask in their pocket like we do
Old 23-10-2020, 14:05   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The thing with Scubapro regs is their top of the line regulator was very susceptible to free flows in cold water. Be aware of this deficiency when purchasing a used one.

True story: A Scubapro reg freeflowed on a wreck in 150 ft of cold water (38 deg F) and emptied a 120 fresh tank in about 1.5 minutes. Froze the divers lips and mouth. Took him 4 weeks to recover. His tank was bone dry when we hit the line at 90 ft.
scary. I assume this was a first stage issue due to icing? Was the regulator grease packed? Diving traditional doubles?

I've had part reg failure in the past but because I've switched to sidemount (my back is crap) I simply cranked the tank valve open and closed. Still ended up skipping 6 mins of deco though

Tags
buying, Cuba, gear, scuba