Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 14:17   #76

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Thoughts on buying used SCUBA gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
We dove Baja starting in the 1960s.

Doubles avoid that flopping of singles.
Maybe not with 50's or 65's but start getting larger tanks and its a pain. Some older divers don't have the requisite flexibility to reach over their hear and manipulate the valves and manifold either. I used to dive double high pressure steel 120's, always a giant struggle, hard on the back entering and exiting, always felt insecure standing on a wet moving deck.

Sidemount solves all of that. I can get in the water with a single tank, the valve and gauge is right there in front of me, I can then clip on my other tanks that are either handed to me or already in the water on a line. The tanks are nicely held to me with bungee, but unlike with doubles, its relatively easy to unclip and push them ahead of you to pass through a restriction if needed. Carrying the 2 steel tanks, two aluminum 80's and a 40 for O2, which is a pretty standard setup, is much nicer with sidemount.

anything is better than what the dive shops keep pushing though, the standard "vest style bcd" is a horrible piece of diving kit.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 22:38   #77

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
I am brand new to SCUBA diving, I am taking lessons right now. I purchased a mask, snorkel, and fins from my local dive shop where I am taking classes. I am borrowing the rest for the moment from the dive shop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the BCD, dive computer, and regulator used? Are there certain pieces one would buy used and others one would never buy used?

It looks like the savings is significant. The dive shop is says there is still $2500 worth of equipment to buy. I have seen complete sets on FB Marketplace for $1000 or less.

My hang up on the new investment is I don't think I will be using the equipment very often for the next few years.

Just rent it, why buying it if you don't intend of using it?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 14:21   #78

Second everyone's other suggestion.

Buy used and get serviced. Service will cost probably 100-200 depending on if they needed to replace more o-rings or not. Used scuba equipment is the best deal out there. There's always couples who dump $4000 into a dive setup for their honeymoon, use it once in Indo, then never want to go again so you can get gear practically brand new for 80% off.

The dive shop can stress test all the gear when they do the service as well.

I am a scientific diver and was in charge of our research groups gear locker. Scubapro stuff always held up the best to constant use (knighthawk BCD is awesome). Expensive but worth it.
kgsoloman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:41   #79

I was an SSI Divecon (divemaster/assistant instructor), IANTD trimix, mixed gas blender certification, equipment technician certification...and a bunch of others although I never worked in the field professionally....

I'd personally have no problem used
except I'd want a new mask...but that's just me
prob put new mouthpieces on the regulators, etc... I used to dive with the custom molded ones that mold to my teeth...but even if I weren't going with those I'd still replace the mouthpieces.

If the gear has been maintained at least sort of carefully it's very unlikely to have much issue.... The one exception I can think of in all the stuff I had over the years was a regulator I used for a pony or stage bottle. It was a little Sherwood reg, and the 1st stage was a type that bleeds a little air as part of it's design. I don't recall now if I was in the habit of turning that tank valve off or not, but water got inside of that first stage and corroded it. Ruined. So just bear in mind there's a small chance of getting junk

I've got a whole bunch of dive gear and parts...wish I'd have sold it long ago when it had some value, haven't used it in a long time. I feel sure most of it is still serviceable, but I recon it doesn't have as much value now, being old school stuff mostly from 15-20 years ago. Probably the oldest thing I've got is my original regular I bought when I did my original open water cert.... a US Divers Micra I bought probably 1990 or 1991...used it on all my dives over the years
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:06   #80

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
a little Sherwood reg, and the 1st stage was a type that bleeds a little air as part of it's design. I don't recall now if I was in the habit of turning that tank valve off or not, but water got inside of that first stage and corroded it. Ruined. So just bear in mind there's a small chance of getting junk
I've had a couple of those for something like 40 years now, and they still work fine. OTOH, there have been a couple of pieces of gear that unexpectedly corroded away in storage for no apparent reason.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 17:02   #81

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

The first regulator that I purchased brand new was a Swimmaster (before they were Mares) MR-12 II, SN: 000054. Bought it in 1975. I sold it about three years ago. Still worked perfectly, periodically gone through, new seals, diaphragm, etc. Hoses were replaced in 2005, just because. Point is, if equipment is quality to begin with, and treated well, and maintained, it's life is pretty much indefinite as long as you can get repair parts.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Cuba, gear, scuba