Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2006, 09:19   #31

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
While passing through Singapore...

We scored a Multi System TV, Multi Region DVD player & Powered Speakers. We ran it all on the 1500 watt inverter which we'd installed in Guam.

Don't get me wrong - the only thing I enjoy more than curling up with a good book is curling up with my Sweetie. But we also enjoy tuning in the BBC, VOA & local radio broadcasts. Yacking on the SSB is also quite entertaining and we've even been known to crank up the stereo and dance naked on the foredeck when the spirit moved us.

But the TV / DVD combo opened a whole new wealth experience for us when we were out cruising because we were able to tune in local TV broadcasting whenever we dropped the hook and were able to get local & world news telecasts, plus information about local upconing events in nearly every country we visited across Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Stick the rabit ears out the hatch, do an "auto-tune" and you'll be surprised at what shows up on the tv screen!

That system went away when we sold that boat when we traded up.

We've set-up our new boat essentially in the same way but with the addition of a pair of SHARP AQUOS LCD flat screen TVs. These TVs are also multi system capable and (even though the sales tech at Circut City had no idea what I was talking about when asked about PAL, NTSC & C-Scan systems) I still got a great deal by buying their demo models.

The biggest difference is that now we're supplying ALL of our 115 volt AC needs with just an 800 watt inverter. It powers all of the above plus will recharge our cordless drill, handycam, laptop computer and sewing machine. And it's ALL Solar Powered!

The fact that our TV & DVD players are both multi system, we will be able to watch local TV shows in Panama, Tahiti & New Zealand (all of which operate on different broadcast systems) when we get going back across the Pacific and we can rent and watch DVDs everywhere we go - if we wnat to.

Being social animals, we get great pleasure in making new friends by inviting them over for a barbecue and a movie (or game of Scrabble) when we're anchored in cozy locations. Plus we can watch cruise vidoes from boats of every flag while we're out there.

I'm not sure if I'd go to this effort if we were weekend sailors. The fact that we are full time liveaboards probably makes it easier to justify.

So... for us...

TV on board? Why Not?

Capt Kirk ~~~_/) ~~~ s/v Gallivanter ~~~ St Thomas

PS - We just scored Captains Courageous and a version of Mutiny on the Bounty starring Clark Gable! Come on over!
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 17:46   #32
Kai Nui

Capt Kirk, You make a very compelling point. Not should you or shouldn't you, but why not? It is no imposition on my boat, and the money is already spent, so why not use it? I like the TV card idea, but would really miss our 22" flat TV. And, yes, it is a great social occasion to invite a few people over to watch movies. Walks on the beach are not usually a group affair, and a party every night can get old at times, so a quiet evening watching something on the tube and a few bottles of wine to critique it afterwards can be just the ticket.
Old 25-05-2006, 21:40   #33
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Scott - stay AWAY from the wine at the 99 cent store!!!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 21:41   #34
Kai Nui

Tawny Port, and only the best that $12 can buy
Old 25-05-2006, 21:48   #35
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
$12 Tawny Port from Trader Joe's is pretty damn good ... remind me next time to not head straight home from Tahoe and take the Monterey cutoff to Moss.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 22:01   #36
Kai Nui

Well, if I knew that is all it took, I would have told you aboat the current stock
Old 25-05-2006, 23:07   #37

Gee!!

Did I stumble into Alcoholic's Anyomous forum or what?:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 23:11   #38
Kai Nui

Well, K, You definitely stumbled in. Since we are discussing mindless entertainment, good port seems appropriate.
Old 25-05-2006, 23:12   #39

Is that the brand? Good Port or Tawny Port?

Never heard of it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 25-05-2006, 23:14   #40
Kai Nui

I am not surprised.
Old 25-05-2006, 23:17   #41

Not surprised?

I'll stick to Budweiser, Jack Daniels. Captain Morgan's. And other related names!!

Old 25-05-2006, 23:26   #42
Kai Nui

Proof that TV rots the mind.
Old 25-05-2006, 23:33   #43

Why's that Kai.

Is it because, Tawny Point doesn't get TV advertisements. And Budweiser and Jack Daniels & Captain Morgan does?

And we can not forget Samuel Adams!!

Old 15-07-2006, 11:06   #44

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Kai Nui is right. I am a habitual reader, but reading is essentially a solitary activity. TV watching can be shared. Walks on the beach don't work during a cold rain. Even a bad DVD movie can be made hilarious with a shared bottle of wine.

DVD's are getting cheaper and cheaper. Use 'em once and trade. More and more marinas have shelf space on the "Take one - Leave one" libraries for DVD's.

22 Inch TV? How big is your saloon? We get by with a 12 incher. There used to be a saying: "White man make big fire ... sit far, Indian make small fire ... sit close."

KaptainKen
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 19:12   #45

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I actually miss the internet more than TV. Our goal is to get away from it all, not take it all with us. DVDs on the computer are a good option. Books are even better. Remember reading?

We did enjoy the Super Bowl aboard Harriet’s (another member of this forum) boat early this year.

Sunspot Baby
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote