Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 16:44   #196

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Underwater Photography

Here's a small contribution from today's beach time. These were taken at the Scripps Pier at La Jolla, Dan Diego. A spiney lobster and some starfish.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439768483280.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	107410   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439768498694.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	107411  

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:52   #197

Re: Cactus alga (genus: Halimeda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Plants are not nearly as interesting as animals to photograph, but there are some intriguing species here.

This bright green one is composed of one cell with lots of nuclei.

[I]"Whole meadows may consist of a single individual alga connected by fine threads running through the substrate."

That is fascinating. One cell with lots of nuclei. That is really cool. It would be fun looking at that under the microscope.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 01:28   #198

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The Emperor slammed into Canoe Rocks off Isle Royale. A photo from a week ago.
Loving the colours in these lake shots. The dorade looks like an Anish Kapoor sculpture!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 02:00   #199

Leaf Scorpionfish (Taenianotus triacanthus), Komodo archipelago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leaf Scorpionfish Komodo.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	107426  
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 17-08-2015, 02:02   #200

Blue spotted ribbontail ray (Taeniura lymma), Komodo Archipelago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue spotted ribbontail ray Komodo.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	107427  
Old 17-08-2015, 02:03   #201

Heart of the Ocean? Cavern diving in the Komodo archipelago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heart of the Ocean? Komodo.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	107428  
Old 17-08-2015, 02:06   #202

In the orbit of the Blue Sun.

Pinnacle diving, Komodo archipelago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	In the orbit of the Blue Sun, Komodo.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	107430  
Old 17-08-2015, 02:33   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Really enjoy seeing all of the photos! Dug up a few more to share ~ these are lettuce sea slugs. The second one is a small juvenile with more delicate coloring.

(Panama)
Great finds! Wonderful camouflage.
Old 17-08-2015, 02:39   #204

Quote:

[Snip] …

I have so enjoyed seeing everyone's photos. Please keep them coming .

SWL
Here's an octopus from Komodo for you SWL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Octopus, pinnacle, Komodo Arch.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	107431  
Old 17-08-2015, 02:51   #205

For some sailing context to the underwater shots: anchored at Rinca, Komodo archipelago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anchored at Rinca, Komodo.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	107432  
Old 19-08-2015, 08:07   #206

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Here's an octopus from Komodo for you SWL.
I'm back online after a week of negligible internet.

Muckle, fantastic photos! I am developing a love of octopuses. Of all the creatures I am encountering, they interact with me . I am learning how to locate their homes and entice them out enough for a photo shoot.

I have a few shots to add. None of them particularly good technically, as I am still struggling with getting the hang of this underwater lark, but all of interesting subjects.

Just enjoying some bubbly after a dive in a new anchorage, so I will post a few photos later.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:29   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am developing a keen eye for spotting octopuses' homes, not for culinary reasons (octopus has suddenly hit my short "will not eat" list ), but for observation and games. They are curious creatures and with repetitive dives they start to relax a little.

At about 8m this "nest" was too deep for continual dives, but observing it a couple of times a day for about a week and noticing constant redecoration, I decided this occupant was a she not a he .

This was the original photo I posted:

For the skeptics, this is a later shot of the home occupied. The octopus was a little shy here, but she is the grey mass in the middle. A sucker can just be seen on one of the tentacles:

And I was thrilled to find her awake and peering cautiously at me on one dive down. Note the rearrangement of shells and stones from one photo to the next:

SWL

Old 19-08-2015, 10:31   #208

Quote:
I am developing a keen eye for spotting octopuses' homes, not for culinary reasons (octopus has suddenly hit my short "will not eat" list ), but for observation and games. They are curious creatures and with repetitive dives they start to relax a little.

At about 8m this "nest" was too deep for continual dives, but observing it a couple of times a day for about a week and noticing constant redecoration, I decided this occupant was a she not a he .

This was the original photo I posted:

For the skeptics, this is a later shot of the home occupied. The octopus was a little shy here, but she is the grey mass in the middle. A sucker can just be seen on one of the tentacles:

And I was thrilled to find her awake and peering cautiously at me on one dive down. Note the rearrangement of shells and stones from one photo to the next:

SWL
Just LOVELY shots, loving the sequence! And I concur as to gender I have some fun octopus shots from Aneityum and a few other places but not on this computer and am away from "home" right now… will post when I can.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:42   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Just LOVELY shots, loving the sequence! And I concur as to gender I have some fun octopus shots from Aneityum and a few other places but not on this computer and am away from "home" right now… will post when I can.
Yep, decorating is a lady's prerogative . Even mermaids with a deep interest in knots and sailing and navigation and yacht design need to admit to that .

I would love to see any photos you have. The octopus you posted seems quite different to the Med variety.

I have another one posing on an anchor to download (just a baby that after about a dozen of my dives down relaxed enough to emerge from under the fluke and doze on top while I snapped shots ). It is a sheer joy to encounter them like this.

SWL

Old 19-08-2015, 10:56   #210

Quote:
Yep, decorating is a lady's prerogative . Even mermaids with a deep interest in knots and sailing and navigation and yacht design need to admit to that .

I would love to see any photos you have. The octopus you posted seems quite different to the Med variety.

I have another one posing on an anchor to download (just a baby that after about a dozen of my dives down relaxed enough to emerge from under the fluke and doze on top while I snapped shots ). It is a sheer joy to encounter them like this.

SWL
I'll see if I can dig any up from the bowels of this beast meantime. As to knots… you know I was winding you up rather on that, eh? I agree the zep is good, and the sheet bends suspect, but it's hard enough to teach the latter on the RYAs. The former would likely result in black confusion among the masses.

And yes, totally love octopi. Fantastic creatures. By the way there's a new book out you may like, getting good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Soul-Octop.../dp/1451697716

Tags
photo, photography, water