Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 06:38   #226

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
… and I have yet to do any technical diving for depth. Somthing that is an ambition of mine. As is diving more coldwater wrecks. I have done a few in Scotland, including the Karlsruhe in Scapa Flow, but would love to learn more and you look like someone who knows plenty!
Dove on the Koln (Coln?) in Scapa Flow when passing through on the Mason 44. Also, dove a nice freighter in Sound of Mull and the ship full of mines near the Isle of Sky. Was able to do the dives during our around the North Atlantic sailing trip.

If you would like to dive spectacular wrecks preserved in cold, clear, fresh water I submit that Lake Superior has some of the best wreck diving in the world.

Below is a composite picture from the wooden Stmr Langham that burned and sank in 100 ft of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capstan Composite 10-26-2014 sm.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	107696  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 07:25   #227

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
That is history close to home. As a former cruise liner (and it wasn't that old when it went into military service) the Coolidge arrived in Melbourne not long after Pearl Harbour. I take it that it sank near intact later that year. With many of the original interior fittings would be an absolutely fascinating wreck to dive on.

Scarpa Flow holds less appeal for me. It is not just the cold. That patch of water is a graveyard .

SWL
The Coolidge justifiably deserves its reputation as one of the top 5 or so wrecks in the world to dive! I dived 5 days there and only saw half of it. It is immense, and one of the most fascinating penetration dives possible. Attached are a few more shots: Medicine bottles and jars from the ships med bay, so well sealed that they still contain powder in some cases, seventy years on! A chandelier from the 1st Class dining room; "The Lady" sculpture. And… spotlight fish on a night dive, the most amazing I have ever done. The strategy is to descend at dusk, with no lights, hang at the edge of the wreck waiting for the last of the light to disappear, and then, just after dusk, you will see the first of a MASSIVE cloud of spotlight fish start up in the big hold. You will then use their, rather confusing and disorienting, guide, flashing and diving and swirling like an alien murmuration in space, to enter the hold, still no lights, utterly dark save for their fabulous beauty! So bright that I shot these on a Canon s120 at 12800 ISO and no other tricks! Not a beginner dive for sure though, as this is at around 35 meters, in an enclosed environment, with no reference points and completely dark, so requires exteme buoyancy control. Sorry they are not in order. The dusky shot is on the descent to the holds to see the show!

Oh, and I understand what you say about Scapa, but the German High Seas Fleet ships were not war graves, as they were scuttled with no casualties.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	994450_10154392709790038_4988067500279705720_n.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	107697   Click image for larger version

Name:	1610744_10154396073520038_4730294337495945210_n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	107698  

Name:	10458871_10154392709625038_7578140279559918110_n.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	107699   Click image for larger version

Name:	10500293_10154392791900038_3972466700936036927_n.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	107700  

Name:	10511347_10154396073210038_8603024084999332677_n.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	107701   Click image for larger version

Name:	10410245_10154396069860038_2719390041175011382_n-1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	107702  

‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 07:29   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Dove on the Koln (Coln?) in Scapa Flow when passing through on the Mason 44. Also, dove a nice freighter in Sound of Mull and the ship full of mines near the Isle of Sky. Was able to do the dives during our around the North Atlantic sailing trip.

If you would like to dive spectacular wrecks preserved in cold, clear, fresh water I submit that Lake Superior has some of the best wreck diving in the world.

Below is a composite picture from the wooden Stmr Langham that burned and sank in 100 ft of water.
Are those wrecks the Breda and the Port Napier? Maybe not the Breda as that is strictly in Kerrera, near Mull, North of Oban. I know of a freighter in the Sound of Mull which is known for being fairly dangerous due to the currents, and has killed a few…

I would LOVE to dive the wood and other wrecks of Superior. I have heard a lot about them and recently read "Shipwrecks of the Great Lakes", and also watched a great documentary about the discovery of the L.R. Doty, though that was Michigan of course.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 21-08-2015, 07:35   #229

Quote:

If the Port Napier on the Isle of Skye (just round from Kyle Akin) here's a clip of me spearfishing on her a few years back, shot by my freedive buddy. If spearing in Scotland we use one gun and tag team, to avoid accident in the murky water… I don't really spear much anymore, though. Prefer the camera these days.
Attached Files
Old 21-08-2015, 07:41   #230

Quote:
If the Port Napier on the Isle of Skye (just round from Kyle Akin) here's a clip of me spearfishing on her a few years back, shot by my freedive buddy. If spearing in Scotland we use one gun and tag team, to avoid accident in the murky water… I don't really spear much anymore, though. Prefer the camera these days.
Whaaat??? When I clicked on the video I uploaded it took me straight to some advertisement for a "Jeep Wrangler!!!" Is CF pimping out members vids as advertising tools now???? If so I'll take it down. Mods?
Old 21-08-2015, 07:42   #231

Quote:
Are those wrecks the Breda and the Port Napier? Maybe not the Breda as that is strictly in Kerrera, near Mull, North of Oban. I know of a freighter in the Sound of Mull which is known for being fairly dangerous due to the currents, and has killed a few…

I would LOVE to dive the wood and other wrecks of Superior. I have heard a lot about them and recently read "Shipwrecks of the Great Lakes", and also watched a great documentary about the discovery of the L.R. Doty, though that was Michigan of course.
The wreck I dove in the Sound of Mull was the Shuna and the Port Napier at Sky. The Shuna is protected from the tidal currents because of it's position.

Turns out I and a colleague discovered the schooner barge Olive Jeanette in the late 80's. It is one of two 4 masted schooners that sank in Lake Superior. Footage from the Olive Jeanette was shown in the Doty documentary.
Old 21-08-2015, 07:44   #232

Quote:
The wreck I dove in the Sound of Mull was the Shuna and the Port Napier at Sky. The Shuna is protected from the tidal currents because of it's position.

Turns out I and a colleague discovered the schooner barge Olive Jeanette in the late 80's. It is one of two 4 masted schooners that sank in Lake Superior. Footage from the Olive Jeanette was shown in the Doty documentary.
Oh wow. THAT WAS YOU!!! I saw a doc about that too! The skull from the cook was rather poignant and eerie. Wow. Honoured sir! Indeed!
Old 21-08-2015, 07:47   #233

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thunderball Grotto, Exumas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	107704  
Old 21-08-2015, 07:48   #234

Spotted Ray, Blackpoint Settlement, exumas
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	273
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	107705  
Old 21-08-2015, 07:52   #235

Retrieving broken bow light, Staniel Cay Marina.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	235
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	107707  
Old 21-08-2015, 07:54   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Retrieving broken bow light, Staniel Cay Marina.
Great shot among the pilings. Lovely artistically.
Old 21-08-2015, 08:15   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
The Coolidge justifiably deserves its reputation as one of the top 5 or so wrecks in the world to dive! I dived 5 days there and only saw half of it. It is immense, and one of the most fascinating penetration dives possible. Attached are a few more shots: Medicine bottles and jars from the ships med bay, so well sealed that they still contain powder in some cases, seventy years on! A chandelier from the 1st Class dining room; "The Lady" sculpture. And… spotlight fish on a night dive, the most amazing I have ever done. The strategy is to descend at dusk, with no lights, hang at the edge of the wreck waiting for the last of the light to disappear, and then, just after dusk, you will see the first of a MASSIVE cloud of spotlight fish start up in the big hold. You will then use their, rather confusing and disorienting, guide, flashing and diving and swirling like an alien murmuration in space, to enter the hold, still no lights, utterly dark save for their fabulous beauty! So bright that I shot these on a Canon s120 at 12800 ISO and no other tricks! Not a beginner dive for sure though, as this is at around 35 meters, in an enclosed environment, with no reference points and completely dark, so requires exteme buoyancy control. Sorry they are not in order. The dusky shot is on the descent to the holds to see the show!

Oh, and I understand what you say about Scapa, but the German High Seas Fleet ships were not war graves, as they were scuttled with no casualties.
Amazing images! The Coolidge was apparently grounded deliberately after mine damage and a few thousand crew climbed out safely. It was not expected to sink further and topple into the channel, so little was removed at the time of evacuation. I guess in war time things like the sculptures and chandeliers mattered little anyway.

I think the scuttled ships remaining underwater in Scapa Flow are just a handful from WWI. The main losses of life occurred in WWII. Most shipwrecks involve casualties, but these were in great numbers in that region and WWII is a bit too recent for me to be entirely detached. It doesn't make the wrecks any less intriguing, just a bit depressing to observe where many men were essentially entombed and to think of their terror in the final moments.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:18   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Spotted Ray, Blackpoint Settlement, exumas
Beautiful photos Erika.
The spotted ray is a beauty!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:25   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Amazing images! The Coolidge was apparently grounded deliberately after mine damage and a few thousand crew climbed out safely. It was not expected to sink further and topple into the channel, so little was removed at the time of evacuation. I guess in war time things like the sculptures and chandeliers mattered little anyway.

I think the scuttled ships remaining underwater in Scapa Flow are just a handful from WWI. The main losses of life occurred in WWII. Most shipwrecks involve casualties, but these were in great numbers in that region and WWII is a bit too recent for me to be entirely detached. It doesn't make the wrecks any less intriguing, just a bit depressing to observe where many men were essentially entombed and to think of their terror in the final moments.

SWL
Well, handful, not exactly. The ENTIRE German high seas fleet was scuttled, with 50 actually going to the bottom that day! You can still dive many of them. It represents the single most prolific wartime military dive site on earth.

Most actual war graves are prohibited for diving in the UK.

Attached is a shot I took of the mine damage to the Coolidge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15172_10154414143140038_810005825884760247_n.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	107708  
Old 21-08-2015, 08:29   #240

Quote:
The Coolidge justifiably deserves its reputation as one of the top 5 or so wrecks in the world to dive!

... So bright that I shot these on a Canon s120 at 12800 ISO and no other tricks! Not a beginner dive for sure though, as this is at around 35 meters, in an enclosed environment, with no reference points and completely dark, so requires exteme buoyancy control. Sorry they are not in order. The dusky shot is on the descent to the holds to see the show!
Very cool ethereal wreck shots. I get a yield of about 1 good picture per 200 shots.

Tags
photo, photography, water