Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 10:36   #121

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Underwater Photography

Gradient, what's the scoop on that hammerhead shot? It looks like he has a marker or something on his side? With rope on it?
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46   #122

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
What a colorful gem & crisp photo of the pink squat lobster! Would love to see a squat lobster, not sure if they're too common in the Caribbean.

Those hairy details remind me of a teeny crab I found living in a sponge crevasse. These little blue 'arms' moving caught my eye... he was only 1/2 inch big and hard to get a clear photo while getting buffeted by current.

He was even harder to identify. The photos revealed a critical detail in that the blue arms were feather-like dusters waving around that I couldn't see with my eyes. That helped identify him as a porcelain crab.
Great capture of the porcelain. Hard to focus down into that coral crevice! Nice shots.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:48   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Gradient, what's the scoop on that hammerhead shot? It looks like he has a marker or something on his side? With rope on it?
PC, I think you are looking at some sharksuckers attached to her skin and swimming close formation. They commonly attend sharks and rays, and in French Polynesia, if you freedive, they will attend divers as well. > Gradient's shot of that hammerhead is sweet though for sure!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35   #124

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Great capture of the porcelain. Hard to focus down into that coral crevice! Nice shots.
Thanks ... & also for the spell check noticed when it was too late for editing
Old 07-08-2015, 11:48   #125

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
We're a bit shark mad so here are some pics of our toothy mates, all taken in the Bahamas last winter.
Oooh, beautiful... but don't fancy getting that close to one or being in a school. The reef shark photo is sweet with sky reflection.

Now I'm excited about that clear blue water! Heading back to Bahamas in a few months, last time was w/out camera.

That & the Med seem to have great clarity. Perhaps the price will be cooler temperatures than I've been used to in S Carib. I'm a whimp and most comfortable at 84*F yet that usually comes with a lot of growth in the water.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47   #126

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Gradient, they are awesome!
What a fabulous first post. Welcome to CF .
Hope to see lots more photos from you.

No sharks here in the Med (or at least not enough to worry about), but I have a fascination too. Bronze Whalers are the only significant ones I have snorkelled with back in Australia, but reef sharks in a feeding frenzy were fascinating to watch as well once (from about 12m above them). My husband was not quite so thrilled to discover what I had found when I enthusiastically called him over .

SWL
No sharks? No coral? What's the attraction? ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:49   #127

Quote:
Loving the kids dual world and the bicycle… and of course the Bahamas famous sea pigs!

The bicycle is certainly one of the more unique arricifical reefs Ive ever seen. Great shot.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:50   #128

Quote:
Great shark shots! Lovely clarity! Nice species range. Here's a little shot I took in a pass in the Tuamotu islands. Mostly greys, silvertip and longnose. Average around 6 feet long.
+1. Great shark shots. I especially noticed the stripes on the Tiger...those big boys always keep my attention.
Old 07-08-2015, 14:35   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hot off the press:
My jaw literally dropped when I saw this octopus draped leisurely over an anchor. Even my snorkel didn't hinder my big grin . Within seconds of diving down he had slid under the fluke, but I managed to snap a few shots.

I think this is a Common octopus (Octopus vulgaris):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_vulgaris

This particular species is highly intelligent (they have been known to even learn how to unscrew jars, more than I can do sometimes ). They have eight legs, three hearts, and two meltingly big brown eyes, although faces only a mother could love:

He initially retreated deeply under the anchor, but after a few dives emerged enough for me to take the next shot. The greenish mass is part of his breathing apparatus. Note how he has compressed the distance between his eyes.

A case of being in the right spot at the right time with a camera in hand :

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 16:10   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hot off the press:
My jaw literally dropped when I saw this octopus draped leisurely over an anchor. Even my snorkel didn't hinder my big grin . Within seconds of diving down he had slid under the fluke, but I managed to snap a few shots.

I think this is a Common octopus (Octopus vulgaris):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_vulgaris

This particular species is highly intelligent (they have been known to even learn how to unscrew jars, more than I can do sometimes ). They have eight legs, three hearts, and two meltingly big brown eyes, although faces only a mother could love:

He initially retreated deeply under the anchor, but after a few dives emerged enough for me to take the next shot. The greenish mass is part of his breathing apparatus. Note how he has compressed the distance between his eyes.

A case of being in the right spot at the right time with a camera in hand :

Double whammy! Octopus AND anchor!
Old 08-08-2015, 01:19   #131

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
That's just the Remora, this shark also had an acoustic tag fitted but I don't think it's visible in the photo.
I dived with this fella twice. With the big sharks its all about dominance and you have to be able to hold your space to establish yourself in the pecking order. In the photo the shark was making a typical head on pass to see what you do, if you stay where you are it will turn away and keep doing its thing. The second time I encountered this guy I was underweighted and a strong current was running. He made several passes at me and each time I lost some ground with the current and had to fin hard to get back. This immediately took me down a rung or two in the hierarchy and he wanted my space next to the food. On his next passes he started gaping, gill popping and dropping his pectoral fins which is a warning for me to move away which I promptly did. 20m away was not a problem and that's where I had to stay for the rest of the dive. Diving with sharks is safe but you have to be able to read the body language and show due respect.
At least the hammers are very easy to fend off
Gradient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:16   #132

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Gradient, it's definitely not remora. An acoustic tag sounds more like it.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:35   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Gradient, it's definitely not remora. An acoustic tag sounds more like it.
It looks to me like one remora is on the left flank of the shark (adhering with that oval 'sucker' on top of its head) and one is underneath.

The acoustic tag may be attached just behind the remora on the left side? That black oval seems about the right size and shape. Gradient will hopefully elaborate.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:18   #134

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hmm sorry not too sure what you're looking at now. Here is a closeup of the tag plus a couple more coz they're such a magnificent animal
Acoustic Tag

Diving under our boat...

Gradient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:26   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
Hmm sorry not too sure what you're looking at now. Here is a closeup of the tag plus a couple more coz they're such a magnificent animal
Acoustic Tag

Diving under our boat...

Wonderful shots… you are rekindling my rather historical and disregarded interest in the Bahamas… for diving at any rate!

Tags
photo, photography, water