Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2024, 16:54   #1

US Regulations

I am Canadian looking to develop a sportfishing business in West Palm Beach area.

Even been an ex-sailor, I will have a USCG licences captain. For each of the charter. The boat will be CC built in USA.

it will be a six pack charter and as you know it trip is only few miles out of the
Marina.

However, not clear in order to comply with the documentation.

The boat that I am going to buy will be registered in Florida, the boat is going to be insured. Already got the insurance approval/quotation for it.

The fishing licenses to comply with the NOAA are confirmed to be received upon purchase of the boat.

The company is already created and registered.

Those are the ‘done’ homework.

In order to comply with the USCG, not clear about the requirements, do I need to get a COD with coastalwise endorsement or not?

The boat is less than 5 MT Net tonnage but since the nature is sportfishing and charging for the trip, not sure if it is compulsory.

I am Canadian and I want to step with the right foot complying with all the parties and avoid surprises.

Your expertise and advises will be really appreciated.

SailorCan
SailorCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 17:20   #2

Re: US Regulations

Be careful of the definition of “net tonnes”. It is not a direct measure of the displacement of the boat, but involves an archaic calculation of its internal volume. It is possible the boat measures more the 5 tonnes, but weighs less!

If you are over 5 net tonnes, you will need to document, and get the coastwise endorsement.

The USCG Documentation Center has a reputation for giving helpful answers. They are worth a call. Likewise the Florida Department of Fish and Game.

Finally, good on you for looking to comply. So many posts here are looking for ways around rules.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 17:25   #3

Many Thanks ����
Old 11-05-2024, 18:04   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Note that if Documentation is required it will need to be a US company or citizen that owns the vessel.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 18:22   #5

Many Thanks 🙏

Still is not clear if the sort fishing charter boats ( 6 passengers max ) or charter boats ( 6 passengers ) ( not bareboat ) need the cod with the coastwise endorsement.

Thanks

Tags
regulations