Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 04:21   #61
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: What do you actually do while cruising?

Right on BLACKBIRD1, stay on land if you have to Ask.

One of me wife's female friends, a fat city-women keep asking in a whining voice: "What do you dooooo on a boat all day?" (Usually When we head to the Bahahas or the Keys)
She is clueless, narrowminded and has no idea there is a world out there beyond
the condo, the crowds and the restaurants in town: Freedom and raw nature would be alien
Concepts(
Old 26-07-2014, 05:28   #62

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Well if your one of those we saw sailing around the bvi on a charter boat you wake up, raise your sails, sheet them in as tight as possible, start the engines, full throttle to your next stop 3 miles away wait an hour for a mooring, dinghy in, drink eat drink more talk about how great a sailor you are ,pass out wake up the next day and repeat.
Someone asked The other day someone asked what about hurricanes i replied, we can move our home out of its path, can you?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 07:53   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i sleep and watch birdees and fishies
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:11   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Well if your one of those we saw sailing around the bvi on a charter boat you wake up, raise your sails, sheet them in as tight as possible, start the engines, full throttle to your next stop 3 miles away wait an hour for a mooring, dinghy in, drink eat drink more talk about how great a sailor you are ,pass out wake up the next day and repeat.
Someone asked The other day someone asked what about hurricanes i replied, we can move our home out of its path, can you?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
i have seen many owner yachts doing the same. the A/C allways on etc. so lets not be too critical of the original OP question. many yachts are just floating condos moved around by hired crew as most crossings can be boring andjust downright risky.the recent "blue pearl" is an example.the owners just fly in later,rent cars etc. and do whatever one would do if they rented a hotel/condo.some are active and some just relax on the beach which is also great for the local economy.the OP question is common enough and a great answer would be "how many shore excursions on a cruiseship you do is your choice" as most just eat,drink and shop.JMHO
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:26   #65

Boat: Several models

I read a book and fish if the weather and condition permit. But my wife takes pictures , lots of them of the changing Dubai skyline and sights and maintain a scrapbook with all the pictures of all her cruises. Its very interesting.
Old 30-07-2014, 07:48   #66

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD1 View Post
if you have to ask, why is live better on the water, than land,you don't get it, stay on land

thats about a chicken **** answer... be honest.. and talk about the wind blowing throu the marina or the anchorage at 40 to 50 knots . setting your alarm every 15 minutes to take a sighting to make sure you dont drag anchor.
and when you do get to sleep, its not restfull due to the rocking and rolling or the wind shifts and the noise of the anchor chain dragging across the bottom...
how about the flies. and bugs that invade the boat when the lights go on at night.. and the constant up-keep of the boat.

If you are on the boat full time, as a cruiser, the payoff, is the quite little cove where you can drop a hook with nobody to bother you. Morning coffee setting in the cockpit and watching the wildlife around you.
If you are thinking of cruising full time, its the little things that make the payoff for all the hard times you go through to get the the little brief periods or complete satisfaction..

On the other hand if all you are looking for is the week long trips or weekend jaunts, you benifit. as you can get off the boat and go back to you home and easy living durring the week.

Anyone that says that full time cruising is ALL paridise, they are full of crap.

And this old crap about if you have to ask, you dont know.. Your just a Want-a-be..................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 01:51   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I only hope that I can use my boat as a floating condo with easy day passages and wonderful destinations.

If your bag is 3 months at sea getting the snot kicked out of you go ahead. I was taught that "airmanship" is avoiding bad weather and spilling drinks. I consider the same to be true for boating.

If you have to pull out all those fantastic captiains tricks to "save the day" you've effed up. And the first guy that says, "You can't predict the weather" gets a slap on the ear.

I'll enjoy 150 mile passages and margaritas at the end of the day while you are trying to boil water for a cuppa in a gale force sea eating cold beans out of cans for days on end.

But you're the "real" sailor. Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.. Go ahead. You know who you are. Oh and it probably makes you feel extra seamanly to put everyone else down who doesn't "do it" your way.

Oh. One more test. Take a squeeze between your legs. Must be small. And you've got testosterone mixed up with vitriole.

I just can't understand the mentality arounnd here that has to attack everyone who does things differently. Damn, what happened to, "If you can't say anything nice, don't syanything...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 02:15   #68
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsjam View Post

What do you actually do when you go cruising? So, you sail to some island in the Caribbean or Atlantic or Pacific...

And then what? Do you go hiking up the local volcano? Scuba diving at the nearby reef? Read a book while sitting on the beach and looking at the sunset and listening to the sound of the surf? Watch your Teen Mom 2 DVD collection again? Invite all the other cruisers over for Margaritas and a 5-star home-cooked meal?

So, what do you actually do on these trips? What is it that makes life so much better on a boat than on land?
I would not use the term "better"

I would use words like, 'self contained', simplified, dynamic, team building, adventurous, challenging, privileged, International, Nature Oriented and Satisfying.

Good days and Bad but with the definite promise that the next day can be as completely different as you would like it to be!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 02:17   #69

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I only hope that I can use my boat as a floating condo with easy day passages and wonderful destinations.

If your bag is 3 months at sea getting the snot kicked out of you go ahead. I was taught that "airmanship" is avoiding bad weather and spilling drinks. I consider the same to be true for boating.

If you have to pull out all those fantastic captiains tricks to "save the day" you've effed up. And the first guy that says, "You can't predict the weather" gets a slap on the ear.

I'll enjoy 150 mile passages and margaritas at the end of the day while you are trying to boil water for a cuppa in a gale force sea eating cold beans out of cans for days on end.

But you're the "real" sailor. Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.. Go ahead. You know who you are. Oh and it probably makes you feel extra seamanly to put everyone else down who doesn't "do it" your way.

Oh. One more test. Take a squeeze between your legs. Must be small. And you've got testosterone mixed up with vitriole.

I just can't understand the mentality arounnd here that has to attack everyone who does things differently. Damn, what happened to, "If you can't say anything nice, don't syanything...
Hope to cross paths with you some day
Old 31-07-2014, 02:56   #70

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
setting your alarm every 15 minutes to take a sighting to make sure you dont drag anchor.
Get an anchor alarm.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 02:57   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Hope to cross paths with you some day
Me too. Some people actually like me in real life - LOL...

I need a chill pill and a margarita, it seems
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 03:28   #72

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

For me, after running my own company for 25 years, and suffering from stress, it took me 6 months to settle into the cruising lifestyle. A few days or weeks is just a holiday. What to do was never a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-07-2014, 06:12   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

well said. goes double for those desk jockeys who are into baiting and bashing in pms also. those are truly chickens**t folks with no lives and pure jealousy in veins. you know who you are. suck it up and be a human being for a change. bullies are not humans, but something below pond scum.
we are who we make ourselves. if you are jealous of someone's accomplishments, go out and accomplish something, dont bully folks.

there is much to do when cruising..isnt just sitting on deck as in a daysail on the river.
the more you sail the more you will learn needs to be done as you sail.
you will also learn how to read weather and seas..
you will find constantly watching the environment is a very interesting thing to do. lots going on aroun dye out here....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 06:31   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Damn,
I was looking forward to just waking up, not when the alarm went off, but when I was tired of sleeping and then realizing I didn't HAVE to do anything today
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 06:49   #75

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: What do you actually do While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsjam View Post
So, what do you actually do on these trips? What is it that makes life so much better on a boat than on land?
More detailed answer to your question...while I finish my second cup of coffee and procrastinate boat work...CF is a great tool for that!

Many cruisers, most that I know, are part-time/seasonal cruisers like us, who spend part of their time ashore.

We enjoy inland travel too, so spend time exploring the countries we visit by land also. I've slowly worked my way south thru Central America over almost 10 years now by both land and sea. I have a Jeep ashore and the boat at sea. Both are now in Panama....oops we're at the end of Central America! What now? South America of course!

We enjoy spending time back at our home base in Guatemala also. I brew beer there, work on house projects, day sail/work on the other boat, and we do road trips.

For the past two years we've split our time into roughly 4 month chunks: 4 on the boat, 4 exploring inland (we usually rent a house as a base), 4 back in Guate.

Your question is a common one. I get this from friends who think about visiting too. Seems those not familiar with the lifestyle are worried about getting bored or being "trapped" on a boat. I can't imagine being bored in almost any setting, way too much to see/do/learn, and certainly not on a boat. Its not like most cruisers are sitting on the foredeck sipping cocktails while staff tends to the daily necessities of running a boat. Operating and maintaining a boat consumes a lot of time and effort. Then there is snorkeling, fishing, swimming, exploring by dinghy, socializing...we are very active, as are most cruisers I think.

I've never found my self sitting around being bored and wondering what to do...quite the opposite...there is so much to do (both that I want to do and not...like maintenance) that I get frustrated...I need a clone or two just to keep up!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising