Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 00:42   #61

Boat: 38' Hughes S&S design
Re: What if Dwelling on Land Were the Exception Rather Than the Rule?

I have heard all about thes pirates called "Bankers" and "politicians" in the area I want to build a house. Has anyone had any experience on how to avoid the areas the operate in? Are they as dangerous as reported? Should I carry a firearm to protect myself from them?
scubascooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 02:37   #62
Armchair Bucketeer

I have bought a Trailer that the broker tells me was slightly damaged in Hurricane Katrina - but I think it is all good as was found floating 10 miles offshore.

For USD50k I think I got a bargain, my broker and the Vendor were certainly very happy on my choice - and as we all know, keeping your broker and Vendor happy is the most important part of any deal .

Does anyone know how to replace a roof, 4 walls. and a floor?....and can someone give my trailor a tow to shore........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 02:41   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Do not under any circumstance bring that trailer back to live on shore DOJ. Once it has had a taste of life out there it will never again be happy confined to the dirt, and will quiver and shake in frustration forever if you do.

Coops.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:49   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Do not under any circumstance bring that trailer back to live on shore DOJ. Once it has had a taste of life out there it will never again be happy confined to the dirt, and will quiver and shake in frustration forever if you do.

Coops.
There are always naysayers trying to steal the dreams of others .

Just wait until "she" is up and running and I am making squillions using her as a luxury rental in Mozambique (does anyone know how I do that? and / or where Mozambique is?).
Old 20-03-2012, 02:54   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

What's the best way to live my life?

Please only answer if your circumstances exactly match my own dreams (which I am not going to sufficiently explain) and you are doing it NOW!....a full spreadsheet will be required, together with audited accounts and tax returns going back 10 years with all receipts. Photos would also be appreciated and a live Webcam so I can see exactly what you are doing.

I won't probably understand what you have written, nor actually ever even try and follow your example - but it's not my time you are wasting. and as I have joined the internet I feel I am entitled to this information.
Old 20-03-2012, 04:39   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

aaaaaH !
so much space! now i have whole rooms to keep all that semi useless ,too good to throw away junk in !!!!!!

and bonus no matter how much i load,the waterline never changes!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 04:47   #67
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, I know what a pan pan is but exactly what is a sauce pan and/or fry pan and under circumstances would you normally use them.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 05:17   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, I know what a pan pan is but exactly what is a sauce pan and/or fry pan and under circumstances would you normally use them.

What a stupid Newbie question .

Everyone knows you wear them onshore to keep da Gubberment from stealing your thoughts.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:22   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
What a stupid Newbie question .

Everyone knows you wear them onshore to keep da Gubberment from stealing your thoughts.
Supplementary Newbie question, why does everyone around here dance around a pole every time there is an emergency.

I googled pole dancing but the answers didn't make sense!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-03-2012, 05:32   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Supplementary Newbie question, why does everyone around here dance around a pole every time there is an emergency.

I googled pole dancing but the answers didn't make sense!
I think it's something to do with religion. I once saw someone doing that dressed as Santa, at least until she removed everything. I think it was Xmas ....well, sure felt like it .
Old 20-03-2012, 05:43   #71

Quote:
I think it's something to do with religion. I once saw someone doing that dressed as Santa, at least until she removed everything. I think it was Xmas ....well, sure felt like it .
Was it a genuine emergency? Was it hot or cold?

BTW, I have heard that everyone on land carries their own portable EPRIB/PLB style things only they have many more buttons on them instead of just the big red one.

It seems they use different buttons in a code that allows them to contact the coastguard direct; how does that work? Where do I find the codes?

And why do so many younger people have so many emergencies when using public transport?
Old 20-03-2012, 05:59   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Was it a genuine emergency? Was it hot or cold?
I dunno, but it smelled of fish........and liked eating dollar bills

Quote:
BTW, I have heard that everyone on land carries their own portable EPRIB/PLB style things only they have many more buttons on them instead of just the big red one.

It seems they use different buttons in a code that allows them to contact the coastguard direct; how does that work? Where do I find the codes?
I am not sure how all that works, I think it's just a way of BIG companies sucking money out of the gormless. What seems to work is shouting at the locals and waving my arms - sometimes I even wave my passport at them. Never had a problem - but I am "old school".

Quote:
And why do so many younger people have so many emergencies when using public transport?
Will probably find it has something to do with being "in da Hood" - were they wearing trousers on back to front?

FWIW, on my Living onshore training course (as part of da Gubberment onshore licensing system) I saw a documentary that explained how things work onshore. I think it was called CSI Puritan, set in a place called New York - apparently you do get judged onshore for your lifestyle choices by low level officialdom who impose law & order, including what you get up to in your bedroom - especially if that involves alcohol . Kinda like the Taliban, except without the sense of humour..........
Old 20-03-2012, 06:07   #73

Quote:
I dunno, but it smelled of fish........and liked eating dollar bills

I am not sure how all that works, I think it's just a way of BIG companies sucking money out of the gormless. What seems to work is shouting at the locals and waving my arms - sometimes I even wave my passport at them. Never had a problem - but I am "old school".

Will probably find it has something to do with being "in da Hood" - were they wearing trousers on back to front?

Only their hats; perhaps it was a signal that they were in trouble - I am now sorry that I didnt help out but no one seemed to care so I didn't - was this the right way to act in this situation.

FWIW, on my Living onshore training course (as part of da Gubberment onshore licensing system) I saw a documentary that explained how things work onshore. I think it was called CSI Puritan, set in a place called New York - apparently you do get judged onshore for your lifestyle choices by low level officialdom who impose law & order, including what you get up to in your bedroom - especially if that involves alcohol . Kinda like the Taliban, except without the sense of humour..........
Gosh, I thought living shoreside was going to be great but if this is all true, I might forget the dream and move back on board.....but perhaps your Santa might be willing to try out on the mast compression post next time I am in trouble!
Old 20-03-2012, 06:08   #74

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Junior just crashed the "Dingy"! OMG! they want $25,000 for a new one!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 07:07   #75

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

I would like a trailerable. What's the largest trailerable that I can pull with my Jeep, will it be "live aboardable", and would it really be "dirt worthy"?

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote