Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2023, 07:54   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Windsurfing and kitesurfing

In my misspent youth (tm) I did a little windsurfing.

Apparently that is no longer "on trend." My daughter has taken up kitesurfing instead.

Wondering if any of you bring a board of one kind or another on your adventures or perhaps rent gear locally for one or another of these activities. Post stories, photos, videos, ....
Old 31-01-2023, 07:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Windsurfing and kitesurfing

Used to carry a windsurfer in the 90's when I spent a few years cruising liveaboards in the Med.. in 2007/8 I carried a surf canoe.. good fun as well.
If I get another boat I reckon this time it'll be an inflatable SUP..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 08:33   #3

Re: Windsurfing and kitesurfing

I too enjoyed many afternoons windsurfing in the '90s, and I drifted from the hobby in the late '90s / early '2000s, as life got in the way. Kitesurfing was then gaining popularity. I met a few who transitioned; they opined that "once you try kitesurfing, you'll never go back to windsurfing."

I did not have the time to experience it, but what appealed to me was: less wind to get up on a plane (so fewer "no-wind" days), less equipment to load/unload/set-up, less time needed for set-up / break-down. I was advised to first purchase a two-hand kite, and learn to control it until I could control it without thinking about it, because when on the kiteboard, control of the kite should be intuitive.

I remember perusing online advertisements for a couple of places (1 in the Keys) promising that if you were moderately proficient in windsurfing, then a weekend course should be sufficient to get started in kitesurfing. Maybe someday,,,,,,
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 09:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Windsurfing and kitesurfing

No thanks..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 09:21   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

We carried kite surfing gear on our 27-foot boat when we were cruising -- I don't think we could have fit wind surfing gear as easily. The kites use inflatable spars for rigidity (but that also means you need a pump), so they pack away into small spaces. The boards are also much shorter compared to their windsurfing counterparts.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 09:42   #6

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm a semi-reformed hard core windsurfer.

One of this year's projects is to outfit the boat with toys. I have a ridiculous selection of toys- sea kayaks, windsurfers, SUP's, kites.... Too many years in the business, too many toys. lol

With a bit of thought, I think I can build a rack that will hold 2 of any of the above. For lower performance, I can just use the inflatables, but I don't do low performance very well. I might need to learn. The body is aging faster than the mind.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 15:25   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I have kiteboarding gear and wing foiling gear aboard. We also have two inflatable kayaks and scuba gear. Thinking about switching out the kayaks for a windsurfer for my wife next season, partly because the kayaks are near end of life.

We don't like to just sit around on the boat. We do plenty with less gear too, hiking, snorkeling, spear fishing, etc. But if the wind is up and you are in a suitable spot then having gear for a a wind-based water sport is great.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 01:20   #8

Boat: Navigator

Hey there!

I haven't done much windsurfing or kitesurfing myself, but I've seen people bring their gear on trips or rent locally to catch some waves. It's always fun to try new water sports and create unforgettable memories.

Cheers!
Ilia Bellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 12:05   #9

Boat: 40 Mainship Trawler/various sail

I have a SUP with a sail slot so I can paddle and also sail. For kitesurfing you need a lot of open space. With the windsurfer on board, I can just launch right from the anchorage or mooring field and sail around. If you're into kitesurfing that logic doesn't fly, but if you just want to do some kind of fun sailing wherever the boat is, this is a good 2 for 1 setup. The board is an exocet windsup. Rigging the sail from the back of the boat took a little getting used to, but it's not bad.
REDZn-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 16:16   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some friends of ours with an Allures 43 have two kite surfing setups they carry. One for him and one for her. They have used them from Australia, New Caledonia, and Fiji. I think it may be more exciting than windsurfing, and kite surfing competitions are very exciting (at least to watch). Should be heaps of fun for fit, flexible people with quick reflexes.

Ann
Old 18-04-2023, 18:18   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I had debated long and hard about whether to bring windsurfing gear with me across the Pacific. In hindsight, I don't think I would have used it much if I had, despite being an avid Gorge Junkie for ~20 years prior. I need 25-40 knots of wind to have fun (assuming I'd leave the monster 6 and 7.5m sails behind), and frankly we tried pretty hard to avoid anchorages and beaches with those conditions (wife and little kids don't appreciate a thorough sandblasting!). If if it was blowing hard enough I was paying attention to the boat and anchorage. Kitesurfing was still in it's infancy at the time (2002). A couple cruisers we palled around with did pick some up and learn - I was envious but couldn't afford the gear at the time.
Now that I have a sailboat again, I think I'll skip a kiteboard and go for a wingfoil setup. Those look compact, versatile, fast and fun! (my brother in law got a wingfoil setup last year. I'm gonna have to go visit him in the Gorge this summer!)
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 15:49   #12

Exactly, can't even watch that kind of stuff anymore. I think the perceived threat level for such sports has decreased with each passing year. What was 'on the edge' 30+ years ago is no longer considered a high risk sport. The newest new thing is seen only as a 'cool' progression, and not as an even far riskier 'sport' or activity. Just waiting for someone to think it's cool to bow surf container ships or something...
Ronny170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind