Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2024, 06:42   #1

Winter in the Bahamas

Although the winters in PA have been manageable, I'd like to spend this winter or a large part of it, in the Bahamas. I've only been there once, and that was only one day on a cruise. Having just returned from ten days sailing in the BVI, I'd like to spent time in the Bahamas on the hard, or if possible, on a sailboat. I don't currently own a sailboat but open to suggestions. Any suggestions on which island would be best? Other ideas? thanks, Bob
elbobo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 06:54   #2

Re: Winter in the Bahamas

Spending winter in the Bahamas on a floating boat is not a good plan for someone with no boat background.

The weather can be very changeable as the fronts roll off North America. What is a good anchorage now, is totally untenable 12 hours later. You need to be aware of the weather, and how to make good decisions about where and how to anchor as it changes.

It is best to learn this stuff ahead of time, as learning by trial and error can be painful, dangerous, and expensive.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 09:27   #3

I should have been more clear in my experience. I've owned a Catalina 350 and sail regularly on the Chesapeake. And I was captain on the BVI charter. That said, I think having a place on the hard is preferable due to your excellent observations. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:54   #4

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

We spent last winter in The Bahamas, our first year cruising. Very enjoyable overall. Our route through The Bahamas: Bimini, Berry Islands, Nassau (family), Berry Islands, Nassau (family), Exumas, Long Island, Cat Island, Eleuthera (family), Abacos, Grand Bahama.
It was a strong El Nino year- Jan to mid March was windy, cold fronts every ~10 days with clocking winds as they pass. By Mid March we were in the Exumas with fewer fronts, lighter and steadier winds.
Some people spend the entire season anchored at Georgetown (or others). We stayed moving other than 4 weeks spent with family and friends that flew in. If I were to pick one area for the season, it would be The Exumas. Nassau and Bimini were our least favorites.
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 10:14   #5

That sounds like a fantastic tour. I'd love to do just that. I may charter a boat later this year to get a feel for the area. That said, getting an apartment (Exumas) may suit my spouse better! But being there without a boat would probably drive me batty, though I am shopping. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2024, 11:07   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Renting a place in Eleuthera would be very nice. There is a large community of people wintering there and more shore based fun than Exumas
Old 09-08-2024, 11:10   #7

I dont see an issue with doing it on a boat. Buy a sound boat that can charge the batteries for refrigeration and go. Just stay in good anchorages in winter weather fronts.
A couple we cruised Bahamas with for a while were 6'-3" and 6 ft, and they were on a cheap little 23 footer with no headroom for them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 11:26   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Doesn't take a lot of experience to winter it the Abacos of the Bahamas. The biggest learning item is moving before a front is coming to have protection for the needed direction
Old 09-08-2024, 15:59   #9

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Those northern fronts that come through the Bahamas in winter can be short lived but vicious but no more so than some of the fronts we have experienced in the Chesapeake in summer. The Exumas have ample anchorages for protection if you are prepared to move your boat into the lee of the storm. Some people can't be bothered and some of them suffer the consequences of a dragged anchor. A popular spot is Georgetown in the Exumas and all anchorages are in a bay, and then there are anchorages within the bay called hurricane holes that offer 360 protection, some on mooring balls. You can rent an apartment or old house boat too. Night life is limited. I would not recommend being there in hurricane season, but fine for winter/spring. Look it up on Google Earth. I see there are new hosueboats there too https://www.saintfrancisresort.com/Houseboats.html
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 18:51   #10

Thanks to everyone for the great information!
Old 10-08-2024, 00:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbobo69 View Post
... Any suggestions on which island would be best? Other ideas? thanks, Bob
The Bahamas consists of 700 islands,30 of which are inhabited, and 2,400 cays.
Pick one.

https://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/porta...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 05:08   #12

Good link, thanks.
Old 10-08-2024, 07:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Did a couple of winters. I would he inclined to the Abacos. More services and connections. Less isolated without Nassau madness. Probably a decent plase to look for a boat.

Marsh Harbor is the bigger community with a more American style food store, restaurants, night life. From there you can find ways to get around the region to the smaller outports like Green Turtle.

We may spend a few seasons there in our way back from the Eastern Carib.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 10:56   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Bob, on our first trip to the Bahamas, we came ashore at the north end of Long Island with a bag of trash looking for a place to drop it. We tied up the dingy and went exploring. On the way back, we heard "hey cruisers" and an older couple called us over, said they took out bag of trash and invited us in to the house they were renting. They said they had just aged out of cruising and rented a house for the season instead. A delightful and interesting couple.

On a return trip a few years later, I stopped again at that house on the very slim chance we might meet them again but a much younger man was there instead. I relayed the story why I stopped and it turned out to be his son. Small world.

My point is that you don't need to be on a boat to enjoy a winter in the Bahamas.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, winter