Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42   #16

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil
I'm not the the club type but if you are going to cruise in mexican waters there is a travel club called 'vagabundos del mar' that for around $35/year offer insurance, medivac service and a host of other goodies that you might find useful. They are not exclusively cruisers, in fact many are RV types, I believe but the connection can be useful if emergencies arise in Mexico according to a good friend who needed help in La Paz a few years ago. Cheers, Capt Phil
Now this sounds important to me! Thank you for the tip!

San Diego, CA
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
they make the best martinis,genaraly have more money than the average cruiser,so tend to discuss less mundane things,like why are my batteries flat all the time.

instead its do you know someone who is good at fixing things?

please can more people fly club burgees
If yc membership offered considerable savings and convenience I'd go for it. I am tossing a desirable land life for this adventure... For years myself and my associates have had the means to satisfy any craving... Honestly, it gets boring! It's kind of like sitting at a slot machine that you win every pull... After awhile... Even though you are winning... You'll switch games, go to the tables and look for a little uncertainty mixed in. I look forward to the challenges, uncertainty and camaraderie that I hear cruisers share.

Thank you again for all of your responses!

San Diego, CA
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I have been a member of a YC since 1979 - I average a visit once a year . The reciprocal thing seems to work mainly from allowing you into the clubhouse and use any facilities - without having to be signed in by a member. No moorings on offer (to members or visitors). I have not seen the actual rules, but I suspect plenty of anti-taking the piss provisions for those seeing the clubhouse as a longterm holiday home from home...........

My guess is that any YC on an established route for those seeking freebies has long since worked out that "reciprocal" only works one way........and has policies that reflect that.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09   #19

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Not for us. If we were going to stay local and wanted to race, then maybe. We aren't into racing (we take itslow and easy), aren't in to wearing dinner jackets (and if we were we could do so without a membership) and prefer to anchor out when possible.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat

Look at these links. See the lack of blue blazers and captains hats? For like $10 (not even $35) you get something of value. Just the little disccount card I get from Club Cruceros in La Paz made that worthwhile in the local grocery store.

Club Cruceros de La Paz Home Page

Welcome to the HPYC
Two great links! I will stop in along the way! Great stuff and thank you!

San Diego, CA
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
No you dont need one for cruising but before you go you may like one for racing etc.I'm a bit lucky that I'm in a good one at home that (although expensive) I have been in all my life... it has reciprical agreements whith some great yacht clubs includingthe ritzy one in Rhode Island, Boston, London, Cowes etc. When I visit those places I am entitled to a very expensive drink....Bliss...Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:05   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I don't like suits and I don't drink enough for it to matter, so no, I don't see enough benefit. My local yacht club seems to accept more arrogant jerks that I would. I know a lot of the members and the fact is that there are far more decent people there than jerks but clubs include rules and I don't exactly go around looking for more rules to follow.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht