Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 18:04   #1

10-foot Lightweight Gangway (Ft. Lauderdale)

I'm looking for a lightweight gangway for our 60-foot sailing catamaran. We have 3 dogs and they can't get on board without a gangway.

Ideally it should be 9+ feet long and somewhat lightweight.

We are in Fort Lauderdale, it would be great to find something locally.
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 18:09   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: 10-foot Lightweight Gangway (Ft. Lauderdale)

Have you looked at Sailorman? They had a carbon fiber pasarelle that might work for you, but it was not cheap. The other option is to fabricate one out of foam and fiberglass. I’ve been looking at something similar for my 46ft Morgan ketch, as I have two Rottweilers. At ten feet, you probably want to hinge it in the middle to make storage easier.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 18:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Have you looked at Sailorman? They had a carbon fiber pasarelle that might work for you, but it was not cheap. The other option is to fabricate one out of foam and fiberglass. I’ve been looking at something similar for my 46ft Morgan ketch, as I have two Rottweilers. At ten feet, you probably want to hinge it in the middle to make storage easier.
I completed our temporary gangway solution today constructed from two 8-foot 2x12 boards, a couple of 2x4 pieces and rubber mats stapled to them. It works, but it's ugly and really heavy. I've got a quote on aluminum stairs, but they seem really bulky and $2,500 feels too much for stairs ... I just don't think it would give us the length we need.

Thanks for the tip on Sailorman, I will start looking at them.

I really like the Monocoque gangway, but can't find a retailer anywhere. Exit Engineering also has some nice gangways, but again, I can't find a local retailer.

I don't have a garage, otherwise I'd totally bust out the foam and fiberglass!!
Old 08-09-2018, 18:22   #4

I’m local, and need to make one too. And I have a garage (though it needs a little decluttering). Interested in joining forces? Or at the very least compare design notes over a beer?
Another option is a folding aluminum motorcycle ramp with some kind of non-skid on top.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 08-09-2018, 18:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I’m local, and need to make one too. And I have a garage (though it needs a little decluttering). Interested in joining forces? Or at the very least compare design notes over a beer?
Another option is a folding aluminum motorcycle ramp with some kind of non-skid on top.
Oh wow, absolutely. Right now I am thinking to get foam, shape it, and fiberglass it. I don't drink beer (anymore) but coffee?!

I was also thinking that, in theory, one could reinforce things with an aluminum frame, embedded in the fiberglass mold.... but that may get too intense.
Old 08-09-2018, 18:44   #6

Just sent you a PM
Old 08-09-2018, 19:05   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One piece of a 20 ft aluminum extension ladder, with a 10 in strip of 1/4 plywood fastened on top.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39   #8

Boat: Gulf 32

For weight to strength ratio, if you want to buy something commercially made as a starting point hard to beat aluminum motorcycle ramps / wheelchair ramps. I used a 4' wheelchair ramp to make a side platform to make loading the dog from dinghy to cockpit and back easier, no way I could have built something that light that strong for that cheap (yes it is ugly).
Old 09-09-2018, 10:00   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

Bassears, how about posting some photos so we can see how it works
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Sailorman has a lot of inventory and it is prone to change, depends on what they can "get a deal on". What I'm saying is don't let one trip rule them out, check back every so often even if by phone.

Staff there has also told me if you've located an item but don't like the price, give them the info. They will see what they, dealer to dealer, can buy it for and pass savings on to you.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
One piece of a 20 ft aluminum extension ladder, with a 10 in strip of 1/4 plywood fastened on top.
Hell of an idea. Strong and light.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:33   #12

Has anyone thought of using a telescoping ladder covered with stiff fabric? One would attach one end of the fabric to an end rung, and then before fully extended, attach the opposite end, last rung, then fully extend. This would bring the fabric under enough tension to make deflection minimal, and make storage a non issue even on monohulls.

If the fabric is cut shorter than the rung to rung distance, would not the tension then be enough to support 200lbs walking upon it? To me it would seem un trampoline like but then Im not the one using it.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

As said by Don--I just noticed it after I finished. They are sometimes made from a ladder. One fits pieces of epoxy-saturated plywood between the styles and fastens them with stainless steel u-bolts to the rungs. To the plywood one can then fasten with countersunk screws and epoxy glue strips of wood,to give traction up slopes, then paint the ply with an epoxy primer, and finish with a non-slip decking paint.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

I agree, that is a helluva good idea!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
Bassears, how about posting some photos so we can see how it works
So not a passarelle (although have thought of a true passarelle style ramp that somehow attaches to the dinghy), more of a platform half the height between dinghy and cockpit coaming for dog loading / unloading (handle of life vest). Essentially got to this point by wanting a swim step of some sort but without the permanent install and without the inherent issues of boarding over the stern (more wave action, awkward climb over / under fixed pushpit bar).

This was the prototype run, but it's surprisingly stable. All it needed was, for lack of a better phrase, spring lines rigged with straps (so front of platform pulled tight to something aft of back of platform, back of platform pulled tight to something forward of front of platform). Spring straps provide stability, Dyneema provides plenty of strength for the four main lines, some wood braces so it doesn't fold when I don't want it to (folds on the long axis), and painted some Plasti-dip on the inside rail so it doesn't scratch the boat.

-- Bass

Tags
gangway