Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 10:47   #1

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
2017 & 2016 Yamaha T-9.9-XWTC outboard engines. For sale

Two Yamaha outboard engines in good and working shape. Just not quite large enough for our 46’ catamaran on high wind situations so we are upgrading to larger Yamahas. However, worked great at cruising speeds when no adverse headwinds (6.5 knots at cruising rpm pushing 13,000 lb high performance cat gear and guests).

That said,the engines are in good shape and Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609008373.257617.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	229417ready for a smaller sailboat (18-32 ft auxiliary engine), dinghy/skiff, kicker trolling motor for fishing or even awesome power for a work boat. The pair would work well on a slightly smaller cat

Here are the measurements:
* 9.9 high thrust means gearing and prop provide awesome thrust forward and reverse. Not an average 9.9 engine.
* Yamaha reliability. Engines work great and were maintained. I have a pair for sale.
2017 ($1800) and 2016 ($1200) for single engine sale. Pair of engines sells for $2,250. Identical engines except for the year. Both run great and very reliable. Never an issue. The 2016 does need a new idle screw but runs reliably. Annual maintenance completed yearly.
* lower hours because they were auxiliary engines.
*. Xtra long shaft designed to reduce cavitation. 25” but electric tilt raises engines to reduce depth when needed.
* Engines rigged for center console/remote operation. Electric start.
Pics to be provided. Engines located in Rhode Island. I am saddened that I ha e to part ways with these Yamahas but simply no use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	229418
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 10:50   #2

Re: 2017 & 2016 Yamaha T-9.9-XWTC outboard engines. For sale

Merry Christmas ignore the picture of our family feast. Yamahas are second picture.
No obvious option to edit pic out without deleting post.
Cheers
Old 26-12-2020, 12:34   #3

Boat: C&C 34

How much for dinner?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:43   #4

Dinner is on us for a fellow boater. Come on aboard!⛵️
Old 27-12-2020, 08:39   #5

Boat: PDQ32

I am tempted. I have a PDQ32 with original 1999 engines that still run well but probably won't last forever. Unfortunately I am in Ontario so our dollar exhange works against me and you are not nearby. I will think on it.
Old 27-12-2020, 09:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
I am tempted. I have a PDQ32 with original 1999 engines that still run well but probably won't last forever. Unfortunately I am in Ontario so our dollar exhange works against me and you are not nearby. I will think on it.
Always happy to help a fellow cat sailor. Let me know your thoughts The extra long shafts worked great for us, even on heavy swell. Just pulled engines off for the winter and the hope is that I can get them to a good home. Not that heavy - they weigh 95 lbs each.
Old 28-12-2020, 14:33   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Jimmy, maybe your price is a bit high. You can get new Suzuki for 2200-2300 with electric and pull start and are EFI. Are you yami’s EFI?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:17   #8

Those are the used retail prices the Yamaha dealer gave me for the exact engines. As a second best, Suzuki makes “better than ok” engines, weight, thrust and longevity aside. IMHO and since I am the guy selling, I am content with price until you make me a lower offer lol.

Yamaha is a brand I swear by — as do many others. As for price, nearly all in life is negotiable, (except life and love of course). Happy to discuss, in a different thread, why Yamahas are better, why Suzuki parts are arguably inferior to Yamaha and I am sure you or someone may disagree. The purpose of my post is to offer what I found to be truly great engines - higher thrust and longer shaft. I will worry about price when someone wishes to make a reasonable offer.

Again, only reason I am selling is because I bought the T9.9 engines on a 46 foot catamaran. Not quite enough power in a headwind but 6.5 knots cruising in fair conditions.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:39   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

HighThrust means the engine has been geared and propped for displacement speeds (6ish kt) not planing dinghy speeds (15ish kt).

Don’t expect to use this on a dinghy and have it perform as normal.

If you use this to push a small to moderate sized keelboat expect to get a slightly high top speed and much better fuel economy at cruising speeds.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 13:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
HighThrust means the engine has been geared and propped for displacement speeds (6ish kt) not planing dinghy speeds (15ish kt).

Don’t expect to use this on a dinghy and have it perform as normal.

If you use this to push a small to moderate sized keelboat expect to get a slightly high top speed and much better fuel economy at cruising speeds.
Pretty much my experience with these engines. — great fuel economy and each engine weighs less than 100 Lbs (with electric start and electric tilt functions included). Pushed a 46’ cat at 6.5 knots for hours while sipping pennies in fuel. My bet is it pushes a 32 foot cat slightly faster and more efficiently at slightly lower rpm. You could plane a dinghy (I have read tales of this) but not go super fast. Also talked to a guy in Hawaii, last fall, that has T9.9twins on his 36 foot and gets 8 knots cruising.

My upgrade is for a few more horsepower and a sacrifice of 150 lbs per engine. Still high thrust and extra long shaft — Yamaha T25XWTC to move a 46’ cat. I will post our new cruising speed. If the T9.9Xwtc twins got us 6.5 at a fuel efficient speed, I am calculating that the 25 hp twins will get us another knot but not much more in speed. Maybe 8 knots.
Old 29-12-2020, 13:09   #11

I have received a fair offer on these engines. Upon receipt of deposit, I will post sold. Glad they are going to another cat to enjoy. Still happy to discuss Yamaha high thrust outboards. Never would have thought these little engines could do justice to a 46 foot boat - they did

I remain a Yamaha fan for life.

Happy New Years to all.
Old 30-12-2020, 08:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarci View Post
Pretty much my experience with these engines. — great fuel economy and each engine weighs less than 100 Lbs (with electric start and electric tilt functions included). Pushed a 46’ cat at 6.5 knots for hours while sipping pennies in fuel. My bet is it pushes a 32 foot cat slightly faster and more efficiently at slightly lower rpm. You could plane a dinghy (I have read tales of this) but not go super fast. Also talked to a guy in Hawaii, last fall, that has T9.9twins on his 36 foot and gets 8 knots cruising.

My upgrade is for a few more horsepower and a sacrifice of 150 lbs per engine. Still high thrust and extra long shaft — Yamaha T25XWTC to move a 46’ cat. I will post our new cruising speed. If the T9.9Xwtc twins got us 6.5 at a fuel efficient speed, I am calculating that the 25 hp twins will get us another knot but not much more in speed. Maybe 8 knots.
No offense taken, my friend. Your observations are accurate and appreciated. High thrust has a very specific function - like 4 wheel drive in a car and I agree with your explaination. Likely others will appreciate the strong destinction between high thrust outboards and regular dinghy engines. (Like comparing a standard car to a quick tractor) I know I did not appreciate this distinction between high thrust and regular gearing until I saw how much more a small high thrust outboard could push. we actually had boaters approach us and question the application of 9.9s on a larger boat in disbelief only to see their faces when we easily powered out of the harbor the next day. Thanks for the input. Happy new year.
Old 30-12-2020, 18:10   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

Nice. I have a 2003 8hp on my 26' mono that is going strong. Like it a lot. I see these for sale at higher prices than what you are asking. Hope the buyer enjoys them
Old 28-09-2021, 11:49   #14

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

We're in your shoes with a 47' (x28' @12,500lbs) high performance one off cat designed and built by in Texas by Bruce Wild. Our T9.9's are old and tired with one near death. Did your sale go through? We too would like to go up to T25's but are short on the $10K price tag. Have you made the upgrade yet? If yes, how are the results? With the T9.9' we do 7-8kts in calm seas and light air, but hardly move into an oncoming sea or heavy air on the nose.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:45   #15

DwightSusan, 9.9s sold pretty quickly … but highly recommend the T25Xwtc as replacement engines. Less RPM for similar performance and can now get up to 9 knots if pushing it. The additional power has gotten us through some rough seas with headwinds that the 9.9s would have had more difficulty. Those 9.9s were great but the extra push plus the EFI four stroke is even more reliable.

Tags
engine, for sale, outboard, sale