Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2022, 19:53   #31

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: 3,186 lbs of lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well at least in Wisconsin we had to remove all the lead shot from years of trap and from the range due to dnr rules concerning lead that birds were eating and dieing from that also kill other wild life when they themselves were eaten

Where?

Also waiting to hear where lead shot is "outlawed for hunting of game birds" outside of water fowl.
Old 23-05-2022, 20:26   #32

Boat: Hunter Legend 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
I'm a hunter and shooter. What states are these? The only ban on lead shot that I know of is for water fowl, and that's been around since '91.
There was a federal ban until it was rescinded by the Trump administration.

Here is some information from a study in "Science" the premier scientific journal in the US, as reported by the Washington Post just a few days ago:

“...researchers examined samples of bones, feathers and livers from more than 1,200 golden and bald eagles from 38 states, and tested blood from about 620 live birds. Nearly half the eagles had what researchers called 'unexpectedly high frequencies of lead,' experts wrote in the study, published earlier this year in the journal Science.” The levels in more than half the birds were above that considered to be clinical lead poisoning.

The California condor was nearly extinct until the use of lead shot in hunting was banned in critical areas. Many states restrict (but do not ban) the use of lead ammunition.

Here is a link to state laws and regs, but not up-to-date (2019): https://www.longrangeshooting.org/ar...ree-ammunition
Old 23-05-2022, 20:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothblum View Post
There was a federal ban until it was rescinded by the Trump administration.

Here is a link to state laws and regs, but not up-to-date (2019): https://www.longrangeshooting.org/ar...ree-ammunition

Solid info, thanks for the link.
Old 24-05-2022, 04:15   #34

There are businesses that use lead. Call around. You will get top dollar from these folks. Forget the scrap man
Old 24-05-2022, 04:56   #35

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Trap ranges routinely mine the lead shot and either sell reclaimed (dented) shot or have it re-dropped and sell it.
Old 24-05-2022, 07:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Trap ranges routinely mine the lead shot and either sell reclaimed (dented) shot or have it re-dropped and sell it.
I know it's done, but I don't think it's routine. I belong to 2 gun clubs, have been a member for decades, am currently on the board of one. They both have trap/skeet ranges. Neither of them have ever had the lead recovered. Nor do I believe any of the other clubs within a 100 mile radius have had it done, except one; they are one of the oldest/most popular clubs in the state. We did look into it at the club where I am on the board. With the current scrap price of lead (.61/lb)? It isn't cost effective.
Old 25-05-2022, 13:13   #37

Boat: 1999, hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexican Hat View Post
I find myself in the position of having had to settle for a large lump of lead as the only option for payment of a debt. South Texas turns out to be an interesting place in many ways... This is the keel lead from a Hunter sailboat, clean and in one piece.

So if anyone's building a boat and needs lead for a keel, is starting a casting or diving weight business, has a very thick wetsuit, is REALLY worried about the war in Ukraine going nuclear, needs some dense ballast to settle the suspension on that new 1 ton truck, is tired of using cement for those boots or is still playing with Newton's alchemy formulas, I may be your man!

Located in Rockport Texas. Can help with delivery within a 250 mile radius for a reasonable amount. Can help with loading onto a truck. Would prefer to sell the lead intact but if there's demand will consider cutting it up. I don't know what would work, anyone got any experience in the field of lead cutting? It's too big a piece to melt.

Asking $3,186 obo
Ok what Hunter did it come from (year size please)??? Is it shoal draft(4ft6) or the full 6ft. answer these and we can chat more. Cheers
Old 28-05-2022, 11:31   #38

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

When I advertised I was scrapping a boat, I got numerous inquiries from the tractor pulling community. Apparently there is a need for lead for their "lead sled".
Advertise it on Craigslist or Kijiji or whatever......it'll find a new home..... Or the scrap yard.
Old 28-05-2022, 11:34   #39

Boat: 1999, hunter 340

Did you receive my inquiry regarding the keel?
Old 23-06-2022, 06:21   #40

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Re: 3,186 lbs of lead. NEW PRICE

The price of the large chunk of lead, actually 3,086lbs not 3,186 as originally listed, has plummeted. It is now available for $2,000!

Nothing else has changed except that the conflict in Ukraine shows no signs of ending and the need for lead BVD's is increasing with each passing day. Don't say you weren't warned!

Open to trades for boat 'stuff' as well.
Old 23-06-2022, 06:25   #41

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Her View Post
Did you receive my inquiry regarding the keel?
Ah, I did not see the inquiry, sorry. I don't know the exact model, but was told it was a Hunter 30. I think there may still be bits of the hull left and I might be able to get the hull numbers if it's important. It definitely had the full keel and was not the shoal draft version.
Closed Thread