Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 17:37   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
airplane floatplane

So, I was considering selling my floatplane this spring since I haven't been using it much this last year. The purpose for selling is to buy a bigger boat so the family isn't bumping shoulders on my 27 footer. I figured I ask here to see if anybody would want to rekindle their desire to fly but had to sell their boat first. The airplane is a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D 75hp with wheels, skis and Edo 1400 floats. 870TT airframe and 35 SMOH engine. Very low time. I completely restored it 2 years ago. I own a aviation maintenance shop in Soldotna Alaska and did this in my spare time. It is still on floats in my heated hangar, hence the springtime timeline. However it could be put back on wheels or skis now. My cost of the restoration is estimated 60K. My asking price is 35K. Yeah I know, quite a loss, but I figured the depreciation would amortize over 15 years. My primary uses for it are fishing and berry picking. I live on a floatplane base so the fishing and berries are already pretty good in my backyard. PM me if anybody is interested in purchase or trade and I will answer your questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0648.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	140950  
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 18:38   #2

Re: airplane floatplane

Pretty little TCart, hope your successful in your endeavors. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 18:45   #3

Thanks, yes it gets lots of complements. I found it in a shipping container near Fairbanks AK where it sat for nearly 30 years. Quite a rare find.
Old 09-02-2017, 19:10   #4

Boat: T33, Nexus dory

Tim,
That may be the lowest time BC 12D in the world. Someone from outside could have a lot of fun this summer exploring Alaska in a Tcraft. Good luck in selling.

Tom--
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57   #5

Out of morbid curiosity would this be a fabric covered plane?
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23   #6

It is mostly fabric covered except for the engine cowling, boot cowl, and doors.
Old 10-02-2017, 14:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
airplane floatplane

I would have loved it years ago, I went looking for a Taylorcraft myself but couldn't find one in decent shape. My Wife's Grandfather was production manager When that aircraft was built or so I was told. I never got to meet him.
I would think on floats it's worth more than that.

For those interested the real, original Cub was a Tailorcraft, not a Piper
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 15:01   #8

Yes, C.G. Taylor was the brains behind the Cub (Taylor Cub) and his alliance with the businessman William Piper (who knew nothing about aircraft) in part led to his undoing. W. Piper was just a better salesman, that's all. I like Pipers, I've owned many of them. Taylorcraft is just a better designed plane all around, faster, roomier, easier entry/egress etc....And yes, I would like more money for it but market forces being what they are, well.....Also, this is considered an entry level bush plane and does not appeal to most city dwellers who want modern, fast, low wing fuel burners. But, for a person who likes boats and flying, I would think this plane would incorporate both paradigms.
Old 10-02-2017, 15:47   #9

I owned one 40 years ago on wheels. At 6'-1" it was a tight fit but still ok. My site line was almost at the wing root as I'm tall in the torso. The Cub was quicker off the ground but the TCART would go by it like it was sitting still in the air, slight exaggeration, lol but it was much quicker. Two doors were nice as well as side by side seating. On the Prairie's on a hot day that big wing would really float. Mine had a 65 in it, always dreamed of a 75 or 85. They made wonderful aerobatic aircraft with the wings clipped. Duane Cole could really make those little planes do their stuff. Greatest memories of those days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 16:16   #10

Thanks for the kind words and memories. 27 years ago when I started to buy/sell airplanes I wouldn't even look at a T-craft. I would turn my nose up and say "who would buy one of those?" I was only interested in Cessna 180/185 206 and Super Cubs. Fast forward 10 years- I needed a ride back to Fairbanks from Fort Yukon AK and was offered a ride from a local who was flying his T-craft. I gladly accepted. I was shocked and surprised how much stuff we packed in it, and it flew no problemo. Not bad for a 65 hp Continental. Since then I have owned/restored 5 of them and look at them with great affection. Everyone who has owned one has praised this little plane. Truly, this aircraft was designed to fly without the benefit of excess horsepower that is so common on newer planes. Simple, cheap to fly, and fix all designed into one package. C.G Taylor hit a home run on this one.
Old 10-02-2017, 16:40   #11

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

alaskaflyfish, Your T-Craft story brings back memories to this 73 year old retired pilot as I owned a J-3 Cub as a high school student with 3 others.
She had been restored by an A & P, was in beautiful shape with her 75 HP Continental, wheels, Edo 1420 floats & Federal 1500 skiis. We flew her up in the Duluth, MN area and she usually went from floats to skiis and back. Can't remember when we ever had the wheels fitted. She had two wing tanks installed, in addition to the nose tank with the cork and wire. Many a time, you would open the valve to one of the wing tanks until plenty of wire was showing, then shut it off again.

I remember one particular trip from the Twin Cities heading north to Duluth, when I looked down to see a John Deere pulling a 5 bottom plow across a field, leaving me in the dust. I decided that a trip back to Duluth was not in the cards that day. She was good for about 70 mph. The destination was unimportant as the journey was the joy! The most fun that you could have with your clothes on!!
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:05   #12

Great story. One flight going to Anchorage from Fairbanks the wind in Denali was so strong I was flying backwards at 1200 ft AGL. I decided to descend low and parallel the highway to get better wind. There I was being outpaced by a Volkswagen Bus full of hippies who I could see taking pictures of me. I waved as they went by me and one of them held a beer out the window as if to say "come and get it if you can".
Old 26-02-2017, 18:09   #13

Jeez, I don't even know how to fly, but I'm tempted to buy the plane just cuz it's such a cool chunk of history! Great stories -- best of luck selling it.
Brad
MBSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa